kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=ramdisk.gz init=/linuxrc console=ttyS0,9600n8

Didier PUENTES
Boot messages on VT [ In reply to ]
Hi,

> I am using with success SYSLINUX-1.48 to boot a CD-Rom in order to realize
> an automatic installation of Linux.
> Actually all messages during the boot step are displayed on VGA screen. In
> the operational version, we have only a VT on COM1.

In the meantime (1.66 is the newest version) there were some
enhancements to the serial port support. Perhaps you could give
this version a try.

BTW, there's also isolinux that enables you to boot without a
floppy image.

Regards,

Josef

Boot messages on VT [ In reply to ]
Hi,

second shot. :-)

Puentes Didier <Didier.Puentes@fr.thalesgroup.com> schrieb am 31.01.02:
> syslinux.cfg :
>
> default linux
> label linux
> kernel vmlinuz
> append initrd=ramdisk.gz init=/linuxrc console=ttyS0,9600n8

Hmm. You'll get the syslinux messages on the vga with this. See my other posting about this. The kernel
messages should go to the serial console, though. At least
...linux-2.4.x/Documentation/serial-console.txt tells this.
Are you sure you have serial console support in the kernel?
Did you try to give this command line on the syslinux boot:-Prompt
(with 'prompt 1' in the configuration file ...)?

BTW, if you're using an initrd the kernel automagically starts
'/linuxrc', so there should be no need to set 'init=/linuxrc'.

And as long as the kernel console is involved this has nothing to
do with syslinux itself.

Regards,

Josef

All inclusive! 100 MB Speicher, 1000 Mails, Wunschrufnummer, Superstars,
Events, Preisvorteile und mehr unter http://club.web.de/?mc=021104
Boot messages on VT [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Reading all documentations I find some infos :

serial 0 9600 # must be on the first line !!!
default linux
label linux
kernel vmlinuz
append initrd=ramdisk.gz init=/linuxrc console=ttyS0,9600n8

I tried this with half success : the first step appear on the VT (Loading
... vmlinuz) but "dmesg information" go on the VGA screen.

Didier PUENTES

Boot messages on VT [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Puentes Didier <Didier.Puentes@fr.thalesgroup.com> schrieb am 01.02.02:
> Hello,
>
> Reading all documentations I find some infos :
>
> serial 0 9600 # must be on the first line !!!
> default linux
> label linux
> kernel vmlinuz
> append initrd=ramdisk.gz init=/linuxrc console=ttyS0,9600n8
>
> I tried this with half success : the first step appear on the VT (Loading
> ... vmlinuz) but "dmesg information" go on the VGA screen.

the first part is the usual behaviour. The rest is a kernel issue.
Serial console support must be in the kernel, and the kernel
argument must be correct.

Regards,

Josef