Mailing List Archive

Errors with socketmapd.0.31.pl
Newly compiled Sendmail 8.13.5, linked to libsrs2 in site.config.m4 with
this line: APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_LIBS', `-lsrs2'). Compiler (gcc 3.3.6)
reports success with this lib.

The socketmap.m4 is in cf/hack and HACK(socketmap)dnl follows MAILER() in
cf/cf/sendmail.mc.

Daemon socketmapd.0.31.pl is running.

Trying to start sendmail gives this:

554 5.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 183: readcf: map reverse_srs: class
socket not available
554 5.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 184: readcf: map make_srs: class
socket not available

and sendmail refuses to start, of course. Any clues how to fix this?

Second question: socketmapd.0.31.pl has this line:
my $fwdomain = 'mydomain.com';

These servers handle multiple virtual hosts. How do you allow for multiple
hosts in this file?

Robert Muchnick
Xenterra.net
720-276-7917

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=srs-discuss@v2.listbox.com
Re: Errors with socketmapd.0.31.pl [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Robert Muchnick wrote:

> 554 5.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 183: readcf: map reverse_srs: class
> socket not available
> 554 5.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 184: readcf: map make_srs: class
> socket not available

You need to append -DSOCKETMAP to confENVDEF. For instance, mine looks
like this:

define(`confENVDEF', `$(RPM_OPT_FLAGS) -Wall -DXDEBUG=0 -DTCPWRAPPERS -DSASL -DNETINET6 -DUSE_VENDOR_CF_PATH=1 -D_FFR_WORKAROUND_BROKEN_NAMESERVERS -DMILTER -DSOCKETMAP')

Socketmap is supported in sendmail-8.13 and later.

--
Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>

-------
Re: Errors with socketmapd.0.31.pl [ In reply to ]
Thank you very much, Stuart. That worked like a charm.

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Robert Muchnick wrote:
>
>> 554 5.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 183: readcf: map reverse_srs: class
>> socket not available
>> 554 5.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 184: readcf: map make_srs: class
>> socket not available
>
> You need to append -DSOCKETMAP to confENVDEF. For instance, mine looks
> like this:
>
> define(`confENVDEF', `$(RPM_OPT_FLAGS) -Wall -DXDEBUG=0 -DTCPWRAPPERS -DSASL -DNETINET6 -DUSE_VENDOR_CF_PATH=1 -D_FFR_WORKAROUND_BROKEN_NAMESERVERS -DMILTER -DSOCKETMAP')
>
> Socketmap is supported in sendmail-8.13 and later.
>
> --
> Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>
> Business Management Systems Inc. Phone: 703 591-0911 Fax: 703 591-6154
> "Confutatis maledictis, flamis acribus addictis" - background song for
> a Microsoft sponsored "Where do you want to go from here?" commercial.

Robert Muchnick
Xenterra.net
720-276-7917

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=srs-discuss@v2.listbox.com
> 554 5.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 183: readcf: map reverse_srs:
> class socket not available 554 5.0.0 /etc/mail/sendmail.cf: line 184:
> readcf: map make_srs: class socket not available

Hello Robert,

It would seem Stuart already answered that question. :)

> Second question: socketmapd.0.31.pl has this line: my $fwdomain = 'mydo-
> main.com';
>
> These servers handle multiple virtual hosts. How do you allow for multi-
> ple hosts in this file?

I recommend you use:

http://srs-socketmap.info/srs/srs-socketmapd.0.32rc3.tar.gz

It is as STABLE as 0.31, but comes with a lot of extra things (some of
which you need, like an INSTALL file).

In your case, in cf/sendmail.mc, put:

HACK(srs-socketmapd, local:/var/run/socket.sock, SRS_LOCAL_SELF) :

(or wherever your socket resides, of course)

srs rewrite everything in Class=w with domains of Class=w
(useful for virtual domains!)

Which is what you seem to need. :)

Also, it comes with a decent config file, in which you can set secrets,
and such.

> Newly compiled Sendmail 8.13.5, linked to libsrs2 in site.config.m4 with
> this line: APPENDDEF(`conf_sendmail_LIBS', `-lsrs2'). Compiler (gcc
> 3.3.6) reports success with this lib.

You do not need to compile libsrs2 as well. That is the beauty of the
socketmap approach. :) With a simple m4, you have sendmail make queries to
a small, external socketmap daemon. And as long as you keep compiling
newer versions of sendmail with -DSOCKETMAP, you never need to worry about
a thing.

You are right, though, the documentation seriously sucks (or is largely
absent, even). The Xmas days will be a good time to update those. :)

- Mark

System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,
we wouldn't call it code." - FedEx

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=srs-discuss@v2.listbox.com
RE: Errors with socketmapd.0.31.pl [ In reply to ]
Hello, Mark. Thanks for the detailed points below. Nice to know I don't
need libsrs2; keeps the bloat down in the binary and the work. :-) Thanks
for the prompt reply. I was set to upgrade a number of servers tomorrow
after the success with the -DSOCKETMAP flag on the first. It would have
been really nasty to have to go back and redo them all! I will, as you
suggest, upgrade to 0.32rc3. Socketmapd rocks! :-)

RE: Errors with socketmapd.0.31.pl [ In reply to ]
Mark writes:
> I recommend you use:
>
> http://srs-socketmap.info/srs/srs-socketmapd.0.32rc3.tar.gz

Mark,

In going from 0.31 to 0.32 you changed the name of some things from
plain socketmapd to srs-socketmapd. Do you expect to leave alone the
remaining instances of the plain socketmapd name?

My local installation script for my multi-server setup is begging me
for name stability, as are chkconfig, sendmail.cf, and the cron jobs
that keep daemons running and do system sanity checks.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters@NetHeaven.com
Gatekeeper, NetHeaven, Saratoga Springs, NY

-------