anyway).

Can anyone shed some light on these issues? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Robert Muchnick
Systems Administrator
Xenterra.net

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=srs-discuss@v2.listbox.com
RE: socketmapd.0.31.pl file system location [ In reply to ]

Yes, I can; as I wrote the srs socketmapd. :)

For starters, you can run socketmapd.0.31.pl from any location, as
communication takes place via a UNIX domain socket (so the place to put
socketmapd.0.31.pl is immaterial).

You do not need perlsrs.m4, envfrom2srs.pl, or srs2envtol.pl. These are
only for the (obsoleted) program map support. The only thing you, next to
socketmapd.0.31.pl itself, of course, is socketmap.m4 (to be placed as
'hack' in you .mc file, so its settings become part of your sendmail.cf.)

Then you can just start socketmapd.0.31.pl (from any location), and
presto, you are doing SRS. :)

- Mark

System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,
we wouldn't call it code." - FedEx

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=srs-discuss@v2.listbox.com
RE: socketmapd.0.31.pl file system location [ In reply to ]
Mark, thank you very much. This will help tremendously, of course. See
below, please, for more.

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Mark wrote:

> [...]

<< snipped >>

>> Can anyone shed some light on these issues?
>
> Yes, I can; as I wrote the srs socketmapd. :)
>
> For starters, you can run socketmapd.0.31.pl from any location, as
> communication takes place via a UNIX domain socket (so the place to put
> socketmapd.0.31.pl is immaterial).

In the spirit of Open Source software, wouldn't this be material to put
into a README or INSTALL file in the tarball?

> You do not need perlsrs.m4, envfrom2srs.pl, or srs2envtol.pl. These are
> only for the (obsoleted) program map support.

Seems to me, to keep the confusion factor down -- especially since this
has to be integrated with SPF in any event, for fully functional
production servers, which I'm trying to run -- that that should be stated
CLEARLY upfront in sendmailsrs.htm.

> The only thing you [need], next to
> socketmapd.0.31.pl itself, of course, is socketmap.m4 (to be placed as
> 'hack' in you .mc file, so its settings become part of your sendmail.cf.)

This is a very important piece of information, since Sendmail is a VERY
complex program! Especially in a production environment. As a sys admin, I
am trying to make or keep efficient every process related to web service.
Perhaps this information should also be in an updated sendmailsrs.htm? Or
better yet, an INSTALL or README file included with the tarball?

> Then you can just start socketmapd.0.31.pl (from any location), and
> presto, you are doing SRS. :)

As in an entry in a startup file such as /etc/rc.d/rc.local? Another
suggestion that would help loads of people adopt the SPF/SRS protocol.

I am 1,000% behind SPF/SRS -- I've published SPF records for almost a year
and have implemented SPF fully for several months -- but I gotta tell you,
the lack of a coherent, comprehensive EXPLANATION of how this all fits
together is really, IMO, retarding its universal adoption -- especially a
clear, unmistakeable statement that SPF without sender rewriting kills
forwarding! This has caused me personally huge problems.

I can implement the most complex software in the world in a matter of
hours. I spent many hours Sunday afternoon and still couldn't be sure
about where all the files in your latest tarball fit into the scheme of
things, only to find out three of them were obsolete and unnecessary. This
isn't right, nor in the spirit of Open Source.

> - Mark
>
> System Administrator Asarian-host.org
>
> ---
> "If you were supposed to understand it,
> we wouldn't call it code." - FedEx

Not really. Open Source is about replacing stupid, broken, bloated and
utterly useless code that doesn't work (translation: Microsnot, aka
Microshit) with good, understandable and improveable code. There's a
reason virtually all Open Source comes with README and INSTALL files. If
you need some help with that, how about writing me off-list?

Robert Muchnick
Xenterra.net
720-276-7917

-------