Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: SPF Question [ In reply to ]
----- Original Message -----
From: "Hall, Roger" <hallr@ilcdover.com>
To: <spf-help@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 4:13 PM
Subject: [spf-help] SPF Question

> Hello,
>
> I have recently learned of SPF. Is it ok to place the txt string
designating
> your mail servers in DNS even though I do not have an SPF compliant MTA?
> Thanks,
>
> Roger

Please do. That will allow other people who are using the filters to block
mail forged from your domain, even if you are not yet using the filters.

-------
Re: SPF Question [ In reply to ]
On 8/11/04 1:13 PM, Hall, Roger wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have recently learned of SPF. Is it ok to place the txt string designating
>your mail servers in DNS even though I do not have an SPF compliant MTA?

Roger,
Yes, it's absolutely fine to publish your SPF records.

There are two aspects to the implementation of SPF:

1. Publishing SPF records for your outbound mail servers. That gives
receiving MTAs the ability to check mail (allegedly) coming from
you, to make sure that it originated from servers that you designated.
2. You can take advantage of other servers' SPF records by adding SPF
filtering (like a sendmail milter) on your inbound mail server.

Publishing SPF records doesn't mean that you have to have your server
configured to use SPF. I know of several people who publish SPF records,
but do not (yet) use it to control their inbound mail.

Thanks,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | The Reedtz Corporation | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102 | pthomsen@reedtz.com | C: 415 425 4025

-------