Mailing List Archive

Question on configuration... why doesn't this work?
Set up the spf query script for Postfix. To debug this, I telnet into
localhost on port 25. Normally, I get the greeting banner, but found I
got nothing. No echo, no echo on commands - just text as I typed it
echoed.

I consider this problematic, since - as I understand it - an MTA will
rely heavily on error codes during a transaction.

The problem was resolved when I commented out the following line from my
main.cf:

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks
reject_unknown_sender_domain reject_unauth_destination
check_policy_service unix:private/policy check_relay_domains

This is all contained on one line - the wraps are incidental to my
mailer.

In short, what am I doing wrong here? Note that the config checks out
fine either way, and running Postfix 2.0.6.

-Dennis

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: Question on configuration... why doesn't this work? [ In reply to ]
Have you tried the postfix list? I believe this is not really spf
specific, since the line you mentioned is not related to spf.

Perhaps it's just a minor typo somewhere in your spf related added
config lines?

Another thing, shouldn't you be running some kind of policy daemon or
something (i'm not into postfix really, just guessing here). I can
imagine that if that isn't running, postfix can't start up properly..?

Koen

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 11:32:29PM -0700, Dennis Carr wrote:
> Set up the spf query script for Postfix. To debug this, I telnet into
> localhost on port 25. Normally, I get the greeting banner, but found I
> got nothing. No echo, no echo on commands - just text as I typed it
> echoed.
>
> I consider this problematic, since - as I understand it - an MTA will
> rely heavily on error codes during a transaction.
>
> The problem was resolved when I commented out the following line from my
> main.cf:
>
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks
> reject_unknown_sender_domain reject_unauth_destination
> check_policy_service unix:private/policy check_relay_domains
>
> This is all contained on one line - the wraps are incidental to my
> mailer.
>
> In short, what am I doing wrong here? Note that the config checks out
> fine either way, and running Postfix 2.0.6.
>
> -Dennis
>
> -------
> Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
> Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
> To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your subscription,
> please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------
Re: Question on configuration... why doesn't this work? [ In reply to ]
Oh,

And last but certainly not least:

what does the log say when starting up postfix???

any errors, anything out of ordinary???

Re: Question on configuration... why doesn't this work? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 11:32:29PM -0700,
Dennis Carr <ke6isf@chez-vrolet.net> wrote
a message of 28 lines which said:

> In short, what am I doing wrong here? Note that the config checks out
> fine either way, and running Postfix 2.0.6.

Policy daemons were introduced in Postfix 2.1, I believe. Check the
logs.

-------
RE: Re: Question on configuration... why doesn't this work? [ In reply to ]
The problem is indeed the version of Postfix! I had the same problem
with postfix and SPF, and I needed to go to Postfix 2.1.1 to solve it (I
do not remember if 2.1.0 fixed it or not).

Jean-Michel Lacroix, Ph.D.
Assistant Director
Adaltis Development, Inc.
500 Cartier Blvd. West