Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
Re: Help! [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 08:53:42AM -0700, Dave Dennis wrote:
> What it means is the server your mail goes out from isn't publishing SPF text
> records and that is causing bounces to people whose mail servers are
> checking SPF records, finding a lack, and thus denying mail.

This is actually quite wrong. It is the server of the domain from which
your mail appears to be sent that has to publish spf records. If no spf
records are present for the domain, it should not be rejected, but
processed as if spf didn't exist. Rejecting mail because no spf records
have been published for the domain is out-of-spec behaviour, and should
be avoided I think.

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: Re: Help! [ In reply to ]
Everyone,

Just wanted to follow up regarding Stacy's request for assistance the other day with ezineDirector.

It turns out that ezinedirector had an improperly configured SPF record. Essentially, the just went ahead and added a few new mail exchangers without updating their SPF configuration and it caused some of Stacy's email to be refused. They have since added the new servers as additional MX records, making their SPF record valid.

In correspondence with ezinedirector, while they do support SPF, they do not seem to support their customers very well. It took them nearly 48 hours to respond to my emails and every response from them started off with excuses. I'd look elsewhere for such service and if anybody wants details, I'll provide offline.

Regards,
Marc Alaia

-------
Re: Re: Help! [ In reply to ]
Marc:

Thanks for following up with her. Community support like that will go a
long way toward acceptance by the general public.

Of course... It was a girl... Asking for help... In a technical forum.

--
Bob Greene

-------
Re: Re: Help! [ In reply to ]
Yes it was a girl... asking for help... in a technical forum...

The amazing thing is she actually GOT some help! : )

You all are the greatest! If you don't mind, I might lurk for awhile and
see what else I learn...

Stacy M. Wilhelm
writing as Staci Stallings

Re: Re: Help! [ In reply to ]
That was just a little geek humor. You're welcome to lurk all you like.

Re: Re: Help! [ In reply to ]
> Yes it was a girl... asking for help... in a technical forum...
>
> The amazing thing is she actually GOT some help! : )
>
> You all are the greatest! If you don't mind, I might lurk for awhile and
> see what else I learn...
>
> Stacy M. Wilhelm
> writing as Staci Stallings

Welcome, and perhaps one day it won't be such a surprise to see girls or
women here. My wife's and my first date was an anti-spam/anti-abuse dinner
trip.....

-------
Re: Help! [ In reply to ]
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

>Welcome, and perhaps one day it won't be such a surprise to see girls or
>women here. My wife's and my first date was an anti-spam/anti-abuse dinner
>trip.....

Heh, my wife was my arch-rival at the first ISP I worked for... She was
after my job!!! :)

--
---------------------------
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold

-------
Re: Help! [ In reply to ]
You did what you had to do ;)

-------
Re: Help! [ In reply to ]
My wife and I met in high school and we wound up working at the same
company several years later. Things didn't get really serious until
a dinner date when she taught me how to use computer programming to
solve some physics problems. That was 1962, the language was FORTRAN.
After wandering thru the mainframe scene for 20 years, we both "graduated"
into the Unix scene around 1982, then Suns and "PCs", then Unix on PCs,
then FreeBSD and Linux on just about everything... "geeks" LONG before
the word was even invented!

BTW, the "dnsbl" (DNS blacklist) feature of sendmail does a decent job
of rejecting SMTP connections from "known" spammers - provided you are
careful not to use a "too-aggressive" blacklist (one that produces too
many false positives). In conjunction with SPF and something like a
Bayesian filter, one can pretty much eliminate a lot of spam before it has
a chance to clutter your internet connection bandwidth and, for the spam
that does get received, categorize and divert it to appropriate "folders".

Dave

-------