Mailing List Archive

Please,
Hello,

I haven't been able to send replies either to my groups or individual friends
since Namezero started using SPF. If I uncheck the service box at Namezero,
it doesn't work either. I have two domains <dicavalcanti.com> and
<dicavalcanti.net>; thus, I have two e-mails: di@dicavalcanti.com and
di@dicavalcanti.net. What are my options, please, to have them working as they
used to both if I decide to use SPF service or not instead of getting replies that
my e-mails could not be sent because they were not recognized as sent by valid
e-mail addresses?
If I use, for exemple, di@dicavalcanti.com and leave the SPF box checked at
Namezero, I don't get to send any e-mail neither if I use Namezero's smtp confi-
guration nor my server's one. If I uncheck the SPF box (then, I have to wait for
about 24h till the new configuration presumably works), I never have the e-mails
sent, either.
Please, could kindly help me and tell me exactly what to do?
Thanks a lot.

Jose.

José P. di Cavalcanti Jr.
di@dicavalcanti.com
Vitória - ES - Brasil
http://www.dicavalcanti.com http://www.dicavalcanti.net
di@dicavalcanti.com di@dicavalcanti.net

di1@uol.com.br

http://www.sobrames-es.tk http://www.sobrames-br.tk

---
--- José P. di Cavalcanti Jr.---

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com

Re: Please, [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Well, to start with I can see:

root: mail7.fw-sj: {479} % dig @4.2.2.1 dicavalcanti.com txt

; <<>> DiG 8.4 <<>> @4.2.2.1 dicavalcanti.com txt
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;; dicavalcanti.com, type = TXT, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
dicavalcanti.com. 1H IN TXT "v=spf1 a:smtp.mailix.net -all"

which leads to:

root: mail1.fw-bc: {450} % dig @4.2.2.1 smtp.mailix.net

; <<>> DiG 8.4 <<>> @4.2.2.1 smtp.mailix.net
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;; smtp.mailix.net, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
smtp.mailix.net. 30M IN A 216.148.213.132

OK, so the only possible sender for dicavalcanti.com is
smtp.mailix.net.[216.148.213.132]

Looking at your message to the spf-help list, I see:

by scorpion6.uol.com.br (Postfix) with ESMTP id 83601803F
for <spf-help@v2.listbox.com>; Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:41:22 -0300 (BRT)

But 200.149.146.13 is not the same as 216.148.213.132

Of course, the -all should result in the block of that message.

Perhaps you should start with ?all instead of -all.

Len

-------
Re: Please, [ In reply to ]
Hi,

As Leonard Mills was so kind to investigate, your spf record is

"v=spf1 a:smtp.mailix.net -all"

and you are sending email through another server, not smtp.mailix.net.

If you do not want to participate with spf, disable spf and if it still
doesn't work, contact your DNS provider and tell them what is wrong.

On the other hand, you might want to participate and start publishing
correct spf records. What you need to do is get a list of all possible
SMTP servers that may sent mail from your domain. For example, if you
only have one outgoing smtp server with an ip of 1.2.3.4, publish this
spf record:

"v=spf1 ip4:1.2.3.4 -all"

Have you asked your dns provider already what they thought of when
putting the spf record "v=spf1 a:smtp.mailix.net -all" there for your
domain??

You might also want to look at this page, which explains the mechanisms used
in spf records:

http://spf.pobox.com/mechanisms.html

And perhaps this wizard can assist you in determining what record you
need:

http://spf.pobox.com/wizard.html

And of course, if you provide more details of your setup (maybe change
the data if you don't feel comfortable with giving out possibly
sensitive information) we could help you determine the correct records.

Kind regards,

Koen

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 06:40:06PM -0300, José P. di Cavalcanti Jr. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I haven't been able to send replies either to my groups or individual friends
> since Namezero started using SPF. If I uncheck the service box at Namezero,
> it doesn't work either. I have two domains <dicavalcanti.com> and
> <dicavalcanti.net>; thus, I have two e-mails: di@dicavalcanti.com and
> di@dicavalcanti.net. What are my options, please, to have them working as they
> used to both if I decide to use SPF service or not instead of getting replies that
> my e-mails could not be sent because they were not recognized as sent by valid
> e-mail addresses?
> If I use, for exemple, di@dicavalcanti.com and leave the SPF box checked at
> Namezero, I don't get to send any e-mail neither if I use Namezero's smtp confi-
> guration nor my server's one. If I uncheck the SPF box (then, I have to wait for
> about 24h till the new configuration presumably works), I never have the e-mails
> sent, either.
> Please, could kindly help me and tell me exactly what to do?
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Jose.

> José P. di Cavalcanti Jr.
> di@dicavalcanti.com
> Vitória - ES - Brasil
> http://www.dicavalcanti.com http://www.dicavalcanti.net
> di@dicavalcanti.com di@dicavalcanti.net
>
> di1@uol.com.br
>
> http://www.sobrames-es.tk http://www.sobrames-br.tk
>

> ---
> --- José P. di Cavalcanti Jr.---
>
> -------
> Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
> Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
> To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your subscription,
> please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------
Re: Please, [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 01:46, Koen Martens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As Leonard Mills was so kind to investigate, your spf record is
>
> "v=spf1 a:smtp.mailix.net -all"
>
> and you are sending email through another server, not smtp.mailix.net.
>
> If you do not want to participate with spf, disable spf and if it still
> doesn't work, contact your DNS provider and tell them what is wrong.

After disabling it, give it a couple of days to replicate to secondaries
DNS servers. Also clients DNS' caches must update the records. If it
doesn't, you woldn't know if if works or not.

Regards,

Ivan

-------