Mailing List Archive

To people who are curious why a bulk mailer would want SPF
Commercial email is important to our customers who place high value their
customers. Customer loyalty and retention is very important and acquiring
new customers very expensive; so it is essential that they not be sent
unsolicited mail.

We maintain customer and master opt out lists and never send to those
people.

There are many people out there from both our retail and B to B customers
who actually write or even call if they do not receive there newsletter or
scheduled advertisement.

Sincerely,

John Ludgey

Vidi Emi

www.vidiemi.com

jludgey@vidiemi.com

510 667-9999 X200

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: To people who are curious why a bulk mailer would want SPF [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 02:04:45PM -0700, John Ludgey wrote:
> Commercial email is important to our customers who place high value their
> customers. Customer loyalty and retention is very important and acquiring
> new customers very expensive; so it is essential that they not be sent
> unsolicited mail.
>
> We maintain customer and master opt out lists and never send to those
> people.

When I get an unsollicited email that says 'click here to
opt-out' or something like that, the last thing I will do is click on
the opt-out link. It just doesn't work like that, since 99% of the
opt-out links are mainly for verifying that the email account is active.

How do you collect 'customer' email adresses, and how do you make sure
that the owners of these adresses really asked for the mail? How do you
feel about all those people that get targeted by your bulk email
unwanted, but don't want to contact you because they don't want to let
you know that their email adress is still active?

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------
Re: To people who are curious why a bulk mailer would want SPF [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 23:12:52 +0200, you wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 02:04:45PM -0700, John Ludgey wrote:

[snip]

>When I get an unsollicited email that says 'click here to
>opt-out' or something like that, the last thing I will do is click on
>the opt-out link. It just doesn't work like that, since 99% of the
>opt-out links are mainly for verifying that the email account is active.

[snip]

I have SA configured to check for 'click here to opt-out' (and
variations', and score it +6.

Mike-

--
If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.
--

-------
Re: To people who are curious why a bulk mailer would want SPF [ In reply to ]
On Jul 11, 2004, at 2:04 PM, John Ludgey wrote:

> Commercial email is important to our customers who place high value
> their
> customers. Customer loyalty and retention is very important and
> acquiring
> new customers very expensive; so it is essential that they not be sent
> unsolicited mail.

Although I am unsympathetic to most bulk mailers, I see their use of
SPF as good for all parties involved. Quite simply SPF will make it
easier for recipients to blacklist or whitelist the bulk mailer.

One difficulty I have currently with bulk mailers is that it is
difficult to tell whether the mail is genuinely authorized by the
business mentioned in the mail.

Suppose company XYZ (which is known and has a positive reputation)
hires BulkMailer (say bm.com) to send mail. Many bulk-mailers will
send things with from servers or with FROM addresses that look like

newsletter@XYZ.bm.com

when I see something like that, I do not know whether XYZ sanctioned
the mail or whether it is some kind of scam. The non-scamming
bulk-mailers have an interest letting me know that XYZ really did
authorize the mail. Thus, with SPF in wider use, the Bulk Mailer will
ask their customers (XYZ) to set up a domain or MX like

bm.XYZ.com

that will point to Bulk Mailer's machine, but XYZ.com will also publish
SPF records saying that they authorize the sending of mail FROM
bm.XYZ.com.

Helping recipients determine what really is authorized by XYZ.com is
helpful to the "legitimate" bulk mailers and to all mail recipients.

Reputation management will do the rest. If XYZ.com (or Bulk Mailer
with the consent of XYZ.com sends unsolicited mail, then they will get
blacklisted. If they send only solicited mail then they will get
whitelisted. If a XYZ.com comes to believe that "nomination" (aka
unconfirmed opt-in) is sufficient they will probably end up blacklisted
many places. But that is a policy question that both sender and
recipient can choose.

Anyway, I think that it is great that bulk mailers wish to help make
their messages and their customers messages more reliably identifiable.
And I enthusiastically support that effort. (And yes, I did send a
note saying that I would be happy to consult for Vidi Emi, and I did do
that after I checked them out.)

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/

-------
Re: To people who are curious why a bulk mailer would want SPF [ In reply to ]
[.Note, this rant will get back to SPF by the bottom. Have patience.]

On Jul 11, 2004, at 2:12 PM, Koen Martens wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 02:04:45PM -0700, John Ludgey wrote:
>> Commercial email is important to our customers who place high value
>> their
>> customers. Customer loyalty and retention is very important and
>> acquiring
>> new customers very expensive; so it is essential that they not be sent
>> unsolicited mail.
>>
>> We maintain customer and master opt out lists and never send to those
>> people.
>
> When I get an unsollicited email that says 'click here to
> opt-out' or something like that, the last thing I will do is click on
> the opt-out link. It just doesn't work like that, since 99% of the
> opt-out links are mainly for verifying that the email account is
> active.

For one company that I manage email for, I reject mail from "opt-out
spammers" as I call these. This does include a lot of bulk mail for
things that people may very well welcome. But I've been told, "if it
isn't work related, then don't consider it a false positive". I would,
of course, whitelist upon request. An ISP couldn't follow this policy,
but it's not inappropriate for this business.

What I find most interesting is that the bounces for opt-out spammers
given an error message like

553 opt-out spam not welcome. See
http://www.slauson.com/emailpolicy.html

And that document contains the text

We also block sources of the most common "opt-out" spam we receive.
Opt-out spam is
where the source of the spam does not lie about who they are, but they
falsely
claim that the recipient opted-in to receiving that mail. They provide
the
recipient with a (possibly bogus) remove process. If you have been
mistakenly
blocked as an opt-out spammer, please contact postmaster@slauson.com.
Be prepared
to provide evidence that the intended recipient, themselves, agreed to
accept your
email.

So far (and we've been doing this for years) not a single request has
come into postmaster about this. (And yes, mail to postmaster is NOT
blocked). None of the blocked mass mailers have felt fit to try to
persuade me that recipient really did request the mail.

> How do you collect 'customer' email adresses, and how do you make sure
> that the owners of these adresses really asked for the mail?

This of course is the question for bulk mailers. Indeed I have a
personal interest in this. For the past three years I've been "list
bombed" every February. Someone, for reasons entirely unknown to me,
signs up my address to a whole bunch of lists. The lists range from
major address list providers to small companies. A few years ago,
whoever signed me up used the real name of "Poop Poop". So I got a
whole bunch of mail saying,

Dear Poop,

Thank you for your interest in ...

Or

Dear Mr Poop Poop,

Here are the exciting offers you asked for

and so on.

Efforts to educate the managers of such "nominating" lists (where
anyone can "nominate" anyone else's address to a list) met with very
limited success.

So unless a bulk mailer can provide me with proof that the owner of an
email address wanted that address on the list, I will consider them an
"opt-out spammer".

But, and others may legitimately choose other policies. SPF helps
people implement their policies. Just as I might blacklist an opt-out
spammer, someone else may decide the whitelist them. SPF primarily
helps recipients determine whether the main comes from who it says it
does. Once you know who it comes from, you can set any policy that you
think is right for your system.

So, again, I am pleased that a bulk mail operation is looking at SPF.
They are wise to because it will make them easier to whitelist by those
who wish to.

-j

Re: To people who are curious why a bulk mailer would want SPF [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 05:38:29PM -0700, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
> So, again, I am pleased that a bulk mail operation is looking at SPF.
> They are wise to because it will make them easier to whitelist by those
> who wish to.

Oh yes, I am also pleased to see that a bulk emailer is interrested in
SPF, and do encourage this. That's not my point. I was just looking at
their site, and checking their 'anti-spam policy'. It just doesn't say
how they get their adresses. They only define spam as 'unwanted' without
stipulating what unwanted means, and something about not having an
'opt-out'.

I think this bulk emailer could gain a lot more respect by asking each
email adress for confirmation instead of this 'wax nose' of an opt-out
policy. It's just bad^2.

Re: To people who are curious why a bulk mailer would want SPF [ In reply to ]
On Jul 12, 2004, at 12:30 AM, Koen Martens wrote:

> I think this bulk emailer could gain a lot more respect by asking each
> email adress for confirmation instead of this 'wax nose' of an opt-out
> policy. It's just bad^2.

Absolutely. There are some bulk emailers, colonize.com for example,
which do do this. (Though there was a several month period a few years
ago when they acquired some addresses unsafely). I am happy to
whitelist Colonize.

One bulk emailer, Zak Brandenberg (JDR Media) once boasted that he
could provide the evidentiary trail of genuine opt-in for any address
he mailed to. He and I had quite a discussion regarding a particular
address. He was unwilling or unable to detail how he'd acquired that
address. I block JDR Media.

Others may follow different policies. But I want an email world in
which senders policiies -- whatever the sender choses -- will be
transparent. And recipients policies can be devised accordingly.

If someone wants to accept "opt-out" spam, that is their choice. If
some business openly states that they are opt-out spammers, that is
fine to. I don't want to bring an end to opt-out spam as a goal
itself. I just want it is be easy to identify (and block) opt-out
spammers. After that, market forces will take care of the rest.

So I, too, would encourage Vidi Emi to move to a confirmation system
before its too late for them. But if they chose otherwise, then at
least they should do it openly and live in a number of blacklists.

-j

Re: To people who are curious why a bulk mailer would want SPF [ In reply to ]
Koen Martens wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 02:04:45PM -0700, John Ludgey wrote:
>
>How do you collect 'customer' email adresses, and how do you make sure
>that the owners of these adresses really asked for the mail?
>
>Koen

Koen,

I am an email marketer that operates an email newsletter.

While some will tell you that double otp in newsletters suffer
from a lack of confirmations I am here to tell you that the
unsubscribe rate from my newsletter is very low, about 1 in a hundred.

For those of you who do not know what double opt in is,
you sign up, get a confirmation email and reply to or click
a dynamic link to confirm that you really signed up from that
address.

In today's spam laden world no responsible newsletter operator
is using opt in (just sign up) . Too many well meaning surfers
will enter a friends address thinking this is way to alert them to
a site, not to mention the malicious $#%^() out there.

If you are interested in a commercial solution to email delivery
that achieves a high rate of delivery in a filtered world this
is a service I use and they only allow double opt in and
support SPF on their servers.

http://www.keywebdata.com/go/autoresponder.asp

Chris Lang
chris@keywebdata.com

Find out why 20% to 40% of your newsletters are not being delivered....

http://www.keywebdata.com/subscribe.asp

-------
RE: To people who are curious why a bulk mailer would want SPF [ In reply to ]
Did you just spam this list?

This looks like more of an advertisement than an actual usefull post?

Sam

>On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 02:04:45PM -0700, John Ludgey wrote:
>
>How do you collect 'customer' email adresses, and how do you make sure
>that the owners of these adresses really asked for the mail?
>
>Koen

Koen,

I am an email marketer that operates an email newsletter.

While some will tell you that double otp in newsletters suffer from a
lack of confirmations I am here to tell you that the unsubscribe rate
from my newsletter is very low, about 1 in a hundred.

For those of you who do not know what double opt in is,
you sign up, get a confirmation email and reply to or click
a dynamic link to confirm that you really signed up from that address.

In today's spam laden world no responsible newsletter operator is using
opt in (just sign up) . Too many well meaning surfers will enter a
friends address thinking this is way to alert them to a site, not to
mention the malicious $#%^() out there.

If you are interested in a commercial solution to email delivery that
achieves a high rate of delivery in a filtered world this is a service I
use and they only allow double opt in and support SPF on their servers.

http://www.keywebdata.com/go/autoresponder.asp

Chris Lang
chris@keywebdata.com

Find out why 20% to 40% of your newsletters are not being delivered....

http://www.keywebdata.com/subscribe.asp

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
subscription,

RE: To people who are curious why a bulk mailer would want SPF [ In reply to ]
This is not an advertising forum, so please no spam

John

Re: RE: To people who are curious why a bulk mailer would want SPF [ In reply to ]
I do not feel that his email was spam. He was responding to an inquiry and provided an example of a provider that did what he said....

Marc

Re: RE: To people who are curious why a bulk mailer would want SPF [ In reply to ]
It sort of reeked of spam.. If you ask me.

RE: RE: To people who are curious why a bulk mailer would want SPF [ In reply to ]
His own company, would you like it if I touted mine, where we dedicate IPs
to customers...

John

RE: RE: To people who are curious why a bulk mailer would want SPF [ In reply to ]
If you had a point to make that was relevant to the question asked, as the original post did, I have no objection.

As the moderator of the list, I support the original posting, but please let this serve as notice that any more off-topic posting such as the one below will not be tolerated. Off-topic postings should be sent directly to the other party.

Marc Alaia

-------