Mailing List Archive

Automated email testing?
I'm a vanity domain owner and an SPF newbie. I have added my DNS TXT
entry 'v=spf1 ip4:209.68.0.0/18 ip4:192.68.228.0/24
ip4:204.127.0.0/16 ?all', and it seems to work with the tools at
http://www.dnsstuff.com/pages/spf.htm and
http://spftools.infinitepenguins.net/check.php, but I can't get
http://spftools.infinitepenguins.net/headercheck.php to bless any of
the headers produced by the three mailers I use (it can't find a
coherent chain of Received: headers for two of the mailers, and it
picks out the wrong originating IP address for the third).

While headercheck.php is a great service, testing would be just a tad
bit easier if there were an automated address to which we could
simply send email and get back an annotated reply, just as
headercheck.php provides, telling us exactly why the email results in
pass, unknown or fail (or whatever else). I haven't found such a
service.

Here's the newbie question: Does this service not exist because it
is quite difficult to implement, or have I just not found it, or is
it otherwise not reasonable to set up such a service?

Thank you!
Ron Voss

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
RE: Automated email testing? [ In reply to ]

I've had similar problems. If you look at the bugzilla for the
infinitepenguins site, there is a bug filed about this problem. I don't
know what it being done about it.

Scott Kitterman

-------
RE: Automated email testing? [ In reply to ]
I have also tried to send email to mengwong@vw.mailzone.com as
suggested in spf-discuss, but I get

<mengwong@vw.mailzone.com>:
208.210.125.24 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 554 <mengwong@vw.mailzone.com>: Relay access denied
Giving up on 208.210.125.24.

Is this a symptom that my DNS TXT record is not correct, or a symptom
of something else? I've tried with all three of my mailing
environments, with the result always "relay access denied." Thanks
for any hints.

Ron Voss

-------
Re: Automated email testing? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I'm getting the same. Anyway, it looks like some misconfiguration on
vw.mailzone.com's mx..

Koen

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 02:42:30PM -0700, Ron Voss wrote:
> I have also tried to send email to mengwong@vw.mailzone.com as
> suggested in spf-discuss, but I get
>
> <mengwong@vw.mailzone.com>:
> 208.210.125.24 does not like recipient.
> Remote host said: 554 <mengwong@vw.mailzone.com>: Relay access denied
> Giving up on 208.210.125.24.
>
> Is this a symptom that my DNS TXT record is not correct, or a symptom
> of something else? I've tried with all three of my mailing
> environments, with the result always "relay access denied." Thanks
> for any hints.
>
> Ron Voss
>

> At 3:58 PM -0400 7/10/04, Scott Kitterman wrote:

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------