Mailing List Archive

RedHat Enterprise 3 with Sendmail implementation
Hi all:

I use Redhat Enterprise 3 with sendmail. I want to use SPF, but the
essential prequisite is that it must be easy to update the sendmail, so
recompiling is not an option. My boss wants to still upgrade by rpm.

This Redhat version comes with Sendmail 8.12 with milter support and
Perl with threading enabled.

I've been googling and looking at spf.pobox.com but everyway I've
found was recompiling sendmail.

Has anybody succeed with this or similar problem? Does anybody know an
useful link to solve my problem or to find the way to work it out?

Sorry for my English.

Ivan Eguiguren

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: RedHat Enterprise 3 with Sendmail implementation [ In reply to ]

I've configured Red Hat Enterprise 3 for SPF. You don't need to
recompile sendmail (but you need the sendmail source), you do need
rebuild the sendmail.cf file (which you can edit by hand, but you
should edit the sendmail.mc file and use the m4 command to rebuild
sendmail.cf.
There are several perl modules you need and which I didn't see as
available via Red Hat Network, those I downloaded from CPAN and built.
There is a perl module for message hashes that I don't have in my
short and ugly cheat sheet, but here's what I've done:

install the sendmail-cf package (to get the files to recreate
sendmail.cf)

grab, install sendmail source from Red Hat (download from latest
sendmail errata detail page)
untar the included tar file (for me that was in something like
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/sendmail<version>/

grab, make and install sendmail-milter perl module (that requires
the sendmail source files)

grab, make, install these perl modules
Net::CIDR::Lite
Net::DNS
Sys::Hostname::Long
MLDBM
Mail::SPF::Query

grab, make and install mail-spf, mail-srs (from spf.pobox.com)
grab sendmail-milter-spf.pl (from spf.pobox.com)

create a milter user and give them ownership of /var/spf-milter
check the instructions from spf.pobox.com for sendmail:
edit the sendmail.mc file
rebuild the sendmail.cf file from the sendmail.mc file

create an init script to start the sendmail-milter-spf.pl script
before sendmail starts (it needs to be running before sendmail starts).

start the sendmail-milter-spf.pl script, make sure it's running

restart sendmail (using the new sendmail.cf file) -- I've seen some
systems that needed a minor tweak to sendmail.mc to add a bit to the
accessdb line (sendmail warns about that on startup so it's easy to
see if you need it) and for root to restart sendmail the owner or
group of /etc/aliases.db needs to allow root to do that

I think that pretty much what I had to do to get it working; I'm
really hoping the next version from Red Hat includes spf filtering
as an out of the box option.

- -David

DONOSOR00 wrote:
| Hi all:
|
| I use Redhat Enterprise 3 with sendmail. I want to use SPF, but the
| essential prequisite is that it must be easy to update the
sendmail, so
| recompiling is not an option. My boss wants to still upgrade by rpm.
|
| This Redhat version comes with Sendmail 8.12 with milter support and
| Perl with threading enabled.
|
| I've been googling and looking at spf.pobox.com but everyway I've
| found was recompiling sendmail.
|
| Has anybody succeed with this or similar problem? Does anybody
know an
| useful link to solve my problem or to find the way to work it out?
|
| Sorry for my English.
|
| Ivan Eguiguren
|

| -------
| Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
| Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
| To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate
your subscription,
| please go to
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com

- --
GPG (http://www.gnupg.org/) key available from:
http://www.kayakero.net/per/david/

-------
Re: RedHat Enterprise 3 with Sendmail implementation [ In reply to ]
> I've configured Red Hat Enterprise 3 for SPF. You don't need to
> recompile sendmail (but you need the sendmail source), you do need
> rebuild the sendmail.cf file (which you can edit by hand, but you
> should edit the sendmail.mc file and use the m4 command to rebuild
> sendmail.cf.
> There are several perl modules you need and which I didn't see as
> available via Red Hat Network, those I downloaded from CPAN and built.
> There is a perl module for message hashes that I don't have in my
> short and ugly cheat sheet, but here's what I've done:
>
> install the sendmail-cf package (to get the files to recreate
> sendmail.cf)
>
> grab, install sendmail source from Red Hat (download from latest
> sendmail errata detail page)
> untar the included tar file (for me that was in something like
> /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/sendmail<version>/

Hold it. I'm working with Fedora Core 1 and Core 2, and the binary RPM's for
sendmail and for all these perl modules on
ftp://www.city-fan.org/pub/contrib/ work quite well.

I'd strongly urge you and other RedHat users to build these tools from the
SRPM's there rather than trying to compile and integrate all these packages
from tarballs. It's just going to be a lot less painful, and most of the
configuration steps you describe are already done as part of the RPM's. (And
thank you so much, Paul Howarth, for bundling these for us!)

If you want to understand how to build them and what they require under a
RedHat configuration, I'd work from the SRPM and take a look at how those do
it.

> I think that pretty much what I had to do to get it working; I'm
> really hoping the next version from Red Hat includes spf filtering
> as an out of the box option.
>
> - -David

Me too, especially since almost all the work is already done for this set of
SPF tools.

-------