Mailing List Archive

A request for clarification
Hi all,

I have been getting some conflicting guidance.

This has to do with the use of 3rd party email
service providers.

(In my case I use 3rd party email service
providers to provide me with sequential auto
responders, which have broadcast capabilities -
akin to a list server with the added ability of
having sequential auto responders. This is fairly
common in today's market.)

Now it is my understanding, the recipient when
using SPF will read the SMTP FROM address.

This is the email address which is generated by
the mail server of the 3rd party service. It will
show the email is sent from the domain of the 3rd
party service.

However, with the new unified approach I am a bit
confused.

Can SPF be used by the recipient to read and
authenticate the From: address which is added to
the header by the customer of the 3rd party email
service provider?

Let me explain the process for those not familiar.

When I set up a list, I enter the "from email
address." This is the "from email address" the
ultimate recipient will see in his or her email
client software.

However, this is distinct from the SMTP FROM email
address.

If under the unified approach, when people use a
3rd party service to send email on their behalf,
the recipient will see the SMTP FROM email address
and also the "from email address" which the
ultimate recipient sees in his or her email client
software.

(I am presuming for the sake of discussion the
email is being sent to a customer using an email
address at an Internet Service Provider, say
verizon.net or aol.com.)

Are we now saying to deal with phishing, the
unified SPF can authenticate both, meaning senders
who use 3rd party service providers will want to
have the SMTP FROM email address authenticated and
also have their from email address authenticated?

Personally, I don't see the need, as the whole
purpose of using a 3rd party service is the client
relies on the 3rd parties policies and procedures,
which is why you want to choose a reputable
organization to do your mailings for you.

I apologize if this question is basic, but I am
getting conflicting guidance from my web host and
3rd party service provider. Also, another 3rd
party service provider is asking me this question
and it has bearing on a bunch of other issues.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Kind regards,

John

P.S. Please note all mailings are based on verified opt-in.

John Glube
Toronto, Canada

The FTC Wants A Single Authentication Standard
http://www.learnsteps4profit.com/dne.html

---