Mailing List Archive

Mail rejected by GMX
Dear all

We recently implemented SPF records for verivox.com, verivox.de and
verivox.pl, as follows

v=spf1 mx:vxw-mx-01.verivox.de mx:vx-ffm01-mxns.verivox.de
mx:mx-ffm-01.verivox.de ~all

The three MX entries reflect the 3 servers which are authorised to send
from the above domains.

Today we received notice that GMX rejected a mail sent from the server
vx-ffm01-mxns.verivox.de, the reason given was that the SPF record did
not authorise this server:
http://www.openspf.org/Why?id=Tarif-Information%40verivox.com&ip=83.137.
184.242&receiver=spfquery

Can you help us to adjust the SPF record to avoid this situation? What
did we do wrong?

Please note, the SPF records have been removed again temporarily, until
we can come up with a solution.

Many thanks, best regards from Germany

Jon Little
CTO

--
E-Mail: jon.little@verivox.com

Verivox GmbH
Am Taubenfeld 10
D-69123 Heidelberg
Germany

Managing Directors: Andrew Goodwin and Alexander Preston
Companies Register: Amtsgericht Mannheim (HRB 336125)
Court of Jurisdiction: Heidelberg, Germany
VAT ID: DE 197999416

www.verivox.de

Re: Mail rejected by GMX [ In reply to ]
> v=spf1 mx:vxw-mx-01.verivox.de mx:vx-ffm01-mxns.verivox.de
> mx:mx-ffm-01.verivox.de ~all
>
> Can you help us to adjust the SPF record to avoid this situation? What
> did we do wrong?

It's a very simple mistake.

You intended to specify "The MXes called ...". You actually specified "The
MXes *for* ...".

vxw-mx-01.verivox.de has no mx record. Neither does
vx-ffm01-mxns.verivox.de or mx-ffm-01.verivox.de.

The simplest solution would be to change your record to :-

v=spf1 vxw-mx-01.verivox.de vx-ffm01-mxns.verivox.de mx-ffm-01.verivox.de
~all

...Although you might be better off changing those to IP addresses if they
don't change ver often.

HTH

Vic.

Re: Mail rejected by GMX [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:21, Vic<spf1@beer.org.uk> wrote:

> The simplest solution would be to change your record to :-
>
> v=spf1 vxw-mx-01.verivox.de vx-ffm01-mxns.verivox.de mx-ffm-01.verivox.de
> ~all

Which of course isn't a valid record, this however is probably what you meant:

v=spf1 a:vxw-mx-01.verivox.de a:vx-ffm01-mxns.verivox.de
a:mx-ffm-01.verivox.de ~all

Noting that there's no guarantee that these are the only servers your
mail would exit from.

--
Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor
doesn't become a monster. Friedrich Nietzsche

Re: Mail rejected by GMX [ In reply to ]
> Which of course isn't a valid record, this however is probably what you
> meant:

Yep - sorry. Posted before I'd woken up properly :-)

Vic.

RE: Mail rejected by GMX [ In reply to ]
Many thanks for the help Vic and Rob.

(Btw. top email address Vic! Makes me wish it was Friday already)