Mailing List Archive

Some SPF questions...
Hi Everyone:

Just some quick SPF questions.

1. What's the deal with so many domains using "~all" instead of "-all"?
To me, they're basically throwing the ball back in your court to decide if
any messages you receive with a sender in their address space is valid or
not. Which leads me to the next question..

2. What does your e-mail gateway do with incoming messages that
"SoftFail" an SPF check? I've configured my gateway (MailMarshal) to
automatically send such messages to a special folder, if the sender is not a
whitelist. Once a message is released from that folder, I've got another
rule in MailMarshal that updates the whitelist with the sender's address, so
subsequent messages from that sender are accepted without delay.

Regards,
Brian

RE: Some SPF questions... [ In reply to ]
[SPICEISLE.COM] Brian Steele wrote on 5/18/2009 7:20:23 PM:

> 1. What's the deal with so many domains using "~all" instead of
"-all"?
> To me, they're basically throwing the ball back in your court to
decide if
> any messages you receive with a sender in their address space is valid
or
> not.

http://www.openspf.org/SPF_Record_Syntax

"accept but mark"

Normally people just implementing SPF are encouraged to use ~all when
testing and change to -all later. Yes, without -all it isn't helping
much. A SoftFail result should make the receiver suspicious but might
just mean the sender has their SPF record configured incorrectly.

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- Life's too short to read taglines.

~ Taglines by Taglinator: www.srtware.com ~

Re: Some SPF questions... [ In reply to ]
Well, it seems like some people have been "testing" for quite awhile...
:-(..

And btw, over 90% of the e-mail I'm seeing that are marked with a "SoftFail"
status by my SPF filter is spam....

RE: Some SPF questions... [ In reply to ]
[SPICEISLE.COM] Brian Steele wrote on 5/19/2009 9:36:06 AM:

> Well, it seems like some people have been "testing" for quite
awhile...
> :-(..
>
> And btw, over 90% of the e-mail I'm seeing that are marked with a
"SoftFail"
> status by my SPF filter is spam....

The SPF wizard tool is still at old.openspf.org, but a new
edition has been under development for a couple years. Its final
question is "Do the above lines describe all the hosts that send mail
from ___"? and for the yes/no answer the result is either "~all" or
"?all." It doesn't even suggest using "-all." So likely those are all
people who have run through the wizard and published the answer. There
are several other issues with the wizard as well.

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- Veni, vidi, Volvo (I came, I saw, I got a ride home with a Yuppie.)

~ Taglines by Taglinator: www.srtware.com ~

Re: Some SPF questions... [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 19 May 2009 10:36:06 -0400 "[SPICEISLE.COM] Brian Steele"
<brian@spiceisle.com> wrote:
>Well, it seems like some people have been "testing" for quite awhile...
>:-(..
>
>And btw, over 90% of the e-mail I'm seeing that are marked with a
"SoftFail"
>status by my SPF filter is spam....

This isn't a great suprise, however 10 percent false positive is more than
most people would accept. It's better to do this on a per domain basis for
high volume domains with low false positive rates.

Scott K

Re: Some SPF questions... [ In reply to ]
Sounds like a big mistake in the wizard...!

For a yes answer to that question, the suggestion should be "-all"
For a no answer to that question, the suggestion should be "?all"

Strange though that no-one seems to have picked this up before...

Regards,
Brian

Re: Some SPF questions... [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 19 May 2009 11:12:18 -0400 "[SPICEISLE.COM] Brian Steele"
<brian@spiceisle.com> wrote:
>Sounds like a big mistake in the wizard...!
>
>For a yes answer to that question, the suggestion should be "-all"
>For a no answer to that question, the suggestion should be "?all"
>
>Strange though that no-one seems to have picked this up before...

It's not news, it just lacks someone to do he work. SPF does not have any
corporate backing. The website, tools, etc. are developed and maintained
by volunteers. More help is always welcome.

Scott K

RE: Some SPF questions... [ In reply to ]
Hello,

1) -all vs ?all:
Does this mean the only domains that send email from keenan.com to
keenan.com or do we only get messages from these domains? Of course we
get messages for lots of different domains including the 3 domains
mentioned below. Sorry for a basic questions but just want to make sure.
2) Does the following setting look right? Thanks.

Keenan.com 7200 IN TXT "v=spf1 mx:exacttarget.com
<brian@spiceisle.com> wrote:
>Sounds like a big mistake in the wizard...!
>
>For a yes answer to that question, the suggestion should be "-all"
>For a no answer to that question, the suggestion should be "?all"
>
>Strange though that no-one seems to have picked this up before...

It's not news, it just lacks someone to do he work. SPF does not have
any corporate backing. The website, tools, etc. are developed and
maintained by volunteers. More help is always welcome.

Scott K

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication and its attachments may contain non-public, confidential or legally privileged information. The unlawful interception, use or disclosure of such information is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, or have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and delete all copies of this communication and attachments without reading or saving them.

RE: Some SPF questions... [ In reply to ]
Paymaun Jafari wrote on 5/19/2009 10:51:08 AM:

> 1) -all vs ?all:
> Does this mean the only domains that send email from keenan.com to
> keenan.com or do we only get messages from these domains? Of course we
> get messages for lots of different domains including the 3 domains
> mentioned below. Sorry for a basic questions but just want to make
sure.
> 2) Does the following setting look right? Thanks.
>
> Keenan.com 7200 IN TXT "v=spf1 mx:exacttarget.com
> mx:salesforce.com mx:surveymonkey.com -all"

I'm not sure I understand your first question, but in your case
an SPF record is used to specify which servers can send mail for your
domain. Your SPF record says that the MXs for those three domains can
send mail using @keenan.com addresses. The "-all" says that ONLY that
set of servers can send mail using your domain.

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- I am Porky of Borg. Pbbpbbprebbprepare to bbbbbbb--eh, we're taking
over.

~ Taglines by Taglinator: www.srtware.com ~

RE: Some SPF questions... [ In reply to ]
So would be it be safe to say that since we are receiving messages from
other domains that the following record is correct? Thanks.

keenan.com 7200 IN TXT "v=spf1 mx:exacttarget.com
mx:salesforce.com mx:surveymonkey.com ?all"
keenanassoc.com 7200 IN TXT "v=spf1 mx:exacttarget.com

RE: Some SPF questions... [ In reply to ]
Paymaun Jafari wrote on 5/19/2009 11:36:21 AM:

> So would be it be safe to say that since we are receiving messages
from
> other domains that the following record is correct? Thanks.
>
> keenan.com 7200 IN TXT "v=spf1 mx:exacttarget.com
> mx:salesforce.com mx:surveymonkey.com ?all"
> keenanassoc.com 7200 IN TXT "v=spf1
mx:exacttarget.com
> mx:salesforce.com mx:surveymonkey.com ?all"

An SPF record for your domain has absolutely nothing to do with
mail you receive from others. It dictates whether *other servers*
should accept mail that is supposedly *from your* domain.

You are using "?all" which says that any other mail servers in
the world return a Neutral result (neither Pass nor Fail). In effect
this is the same as not having an SPF record for your domain.

-----

- Watch out! That jump jet is gonna crash! #$%#@ NO HARRIER

~ Taglines by Taglinator: www.srtware.com ~

RE: Some SPF questions... [ In reply to ]
Short answer: NO this is NOT safe. The ?all statement gives free reign to all the worldwide
servers to send mail as your domain and gives them a FREE PASS thru SPF record checks.

Now lets analyze your SPF record for a minute: spf1 mx:exacttarget.com mx:salesforce.com
mx:surveymonkey.com -all

My server would have bounced your email based on your incoming emails to this list showing that
mail.keenanassoc.com (securemail.keenan.com [66.127.167.67] delivered the mail to the listbox
server and this mail server is not listed in your record.

Here is the test result from http://www.kitterman.com/spf/validate.html:
Input accepted, querying now...
Mail sent from: 66.127.167.67
Mail from (Sender): PJafari@keenan.com
Mail checked using this SPF policy: v=spf1 mx:exacttarget.com mx:salesforce.com
mx:surveymonkey.com -all
Results - FAIL Message may be rejected

So lets get back to basics. What mailserver(s) are authorized to deliver (not receive) mail from
keenan.com ? (If the three mx entries in your record only receive email but do not send email
you should not list them)

Sincerely,
Wendy Honeycutt
SonicFog Inc.

RE: Some SPF questions... [ In reply to ]
Hi Wendy,

Our mail server that sends messages out to the internet is 66.127.167.67
but receiving is 66.127.167.72 so they are different. What do you think?
Thanks.

Short answer: NO this is NOT safe. The ?all statement gives free reign
to all the worldwide servers to send mail as your domain and gives them
a FREE PASS thru SPF record checks.

Now lets analyze your SPF record for a minute: spf1 mx:exacttarget.com
mx:salesforce.com mx:surveymonkey.com -all

My server would have bounced your email based on your incoming emails to
this list showing that mail.keenanassoc.com (securemail.keenan.com
[66.127.167.67] delivered the mail to the listbox server and this mail
server is not listed in your record.

Here is the test result from http://www.kitterman.com/spf/validate.html:
Input accepted, querying now...
Mail sent from: 66.127.167.67
Mail from (Sender): PJafari@keenan.com
Mail checked using this SPF policy: v=spf1 mx:exacttarget.com
mx:salesforce.com mx:surveymonkey.com -all Results - FAIL Message may be
rejected

So lets get back to basics. What mailserver(s) are authorized to deliver
(not receive) mail from keenan.com ? (If the three mx entries in your
record only receive email but do not send email you should not list
them)

Sincerely,
Wendy Honeycutt
SonicFog Inc.

If the server on IP 66.127.167.67 is the ONLY server that "Sends" mail then you could simply
use:

v=spf1 ip4:66.127.167.67 -all

Since the receiving server on IP 66.127.167.72 does not send mail it should not be listed in the
SPF record.

Sincerely,
Wendy Honeycutt
SonicFog Inc.

RE: Some SPF questions... [ In reply to ]
I was under the impression that SPF record is used when other sites
(example performacemonitor.com) send email that looks like email
spoofing and you use the SPF record to accept emails coming from those
sites (example performacemonitor.com). What I mean is that email
actually coming from performacemonitor.com but it seems that it is
coming from username@keenan.com to username@keenan.com. Isn't that
correct? Thanks.

Re: Some SPF questions... [ In reply to ]
Correct. SPF records are usually checked by Anti-SPAM/AV Filter
Appliances/software at the edge to make sure that the email came from
whoever it claims to have been sent from. For example, if my SPAM filter
receives email from abc.com that has a SPF record, but the email claiming to
be from abc.com is actually from xyz.com, then the SPF record would clear
that up. The SPAM appliance would look for the SPF record for abc.com and
see that it should be coming from a certain IP/hostname/domain name, while
it came from actually somewhere else. The SPAM filter will then act on the
result of this check and either drop/quarantine/etc. It may also check for
the SPF record for abc.com and notice that it does not even have one,
thereby rejecting the message. I know that some SPAM filters now REQIURE you
to have a SPF record or the SMTP connection is just rejected, and my
experience with that is mostly military domains.
The SPF record can be setup using a:/mx:/ip4: records... so hostname, domain
name, and ip can be used as reference points to check where the email should
have come from.
Hope that helps,
-Les

Re: Some SPF questions... [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 01:21, Paymaun Jafari <PJafari@keenan.com> wrote:

> I was under the impression that SPF record is used when other sites
> (example performacemonitor.com) send email that looks like email
> spoofing and you use the SPF record to accept emails coming from those
> sites (example performacemonitor.com). What I mean is that email
> actually coming from performacemonitor.com but it seems that it is
> coming from username@keenan.com to username@keenan.com. Isn't that
> correct? Thanks.

Yes, however you publish an SPF record saying how *you* send emails.
When somebody receives an email from you they'll check your SPF
record.

So, in the example above, the recipient (you) would look up the
sender's SPF record (yours) and see how the sender (you) send email.
If the sender (you) don't list that host (performacemonitor.com) then
the email will be handled according to how the recipient (you) has
configured their SPF checker.

--
Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor
doesn't become a monster. Friedrich Nietzsche