Mailing List Archive

FW: spf record syntax check
Hello All,

I must be confused here, but I thought putting the SPF record like below
would ALLOW my domains, and an expected other domain, and then -all reject
the rest. Am I doing something wrong?

mydomain.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 +a:earth.mydomain.com +ptr:some-other.com
+ptr:mydomain.com -all"

Thanks!

Joey

Re: FW: spf record syntax check [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 05:13, Joey <Joey@web56.net> wrote:

> I must be confused here, but I thought putting the SPF record like below
> would ALLOW my domains, and an expected other domain, and then -all reject
> the rest.  Am I doing something wrong?
>

> mydomain.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 +a:earth.mydomain.com +ptr:some-other.com
> +ptr:mydomain.com -all"

So, that says to allow mail from <user@mydomain.com> to come from:

earth.mydomain.com
any host who's reverse DNS ends in:
.some-other.com
.mydomain.com

(Note that you should avoid the use of ptr where possible).

As you don't say what the problem is, and you obfuscate the domains,
it's hard to provide anything further ;)

--
Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor
doesn't become a monster. Friedrich Nietzsche

RE: FW: spf record syntax check [ In reply to ]
Hi Rob and thanks.

So I have my settings correct, and all else is supposed to get rejected.
I am getting some spam messages which in the header show me this information:

Received-SPF: permerror (mydomain.com: Junk encountered in mechanism '+ptr:')

The senders are XXXX@mydomain.com which of course is not true.
I had in my previous configuration the + sign in front of ptr and a thinking that told it to accept ( based on syntax I have seen ) but have since removed that and still get some of this fake sender spam.

Any help appreciated!

RE: FW: spf record syntax check [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 16 May 2009 13:37:41 -0400 "Joey" <Joey@Web56.net> wrote:
> Received-SPF: permerror (mydomain.com: Junk encountered in mechanism
'+ptr:')

You either want ptr (which will be evaluated against mydomain.com) or
ptr:example.com if you want a differernt one. ptr: is an error because it
misses the domain part.

Overall you should (as others have mentioned) avoid ptr if you can.

Scott K

RE: FW: spf record syntax check [ In reply to ]
OK so here is my current error after fixing the + symbol.
Received-SPF: permerror (mydomain.com: Maximum void DNS look-ups limit (2)
exceeded)

In respect to the PTR you want me to list the 4 or 5 server names that are
acceptable instead of the 1 ptr command right?

Or maybe ip4:x.x.x.x/23

Thanks

Re: FW: spf record syntax check [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 06:02, Joey <Joey@web56.net> wrote:
> OK so here is my current error after fixing the + symbol.
> Received-SPF: permerror (mydomain.com: Maximum void DNS look-ups limit (2)
> exceeded)
>
> In respect to the PTR you want me to list the 4 or 5 server names that are
> acceptable instead of the 1 ptr command right?
>
> Or maybe ip4:x.x.x.x/23

You should use IP addresses (ip4:) where possible to keep DNS lookups
to a minimum.

RE: FW: spf record syntax check [ In reply to ]
OK I have checked my SPF record several times, and it works fine according to online tools like http://tools.bevhost.com/spf/
BUT junk keeps getting through!

I'm at a loss as to what to do.

My spf record looks liks this:
mydomain.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a: mydomain.com ip4:122.122.122.0/23 ptr:other-expected.com -all"

Can I somewhere raise the limit above 2?

Thanks!

RE: FW: spf record syntax check [ In reply to ]
> OK I have checked my SPF record several times, and it works fine according
> to online tools like http://tools.bevhost.com/spf/
> BUT junk keeps getting through!

SPF isn't about rejecting "junk", it's about preventing forgery. That junk
mail and forgery are strongly correlated is merely coincidental...

> I'm at a loss as to what to do.

The trick is to enable others to help you...

> My spf record looks liks this:
> mydomain.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a: mydomain.com ip4:122.122.122.0/23
> ptr:other-expected.com -all"

mydomain.com is owned by Dotster, and they don't publish that SPF record.
That won't help.

Additionally, other-expected.com isn't a valid domain. That will probably
cause you problems as well.

> Can I somewhere raise the limit above 2?

That would be pointless. You have DNS problems - repeating failed searches
won't help you.

Vic.

Re: FW: spf record syntax check [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 13:09, Joey <Joey@web56.net> wrote:
> OK I have checked my SPF record several times, and it works fine according to online tools like http://tools.bevhost.com/spf/
> BUT junk keeps getting through!

"Junk" that claims to be from your domain, or from other domains? If
yours, are you actually having your mail server check SPF records?

> I'm at a loss as to what to do.
>
> My spf record looks liks this:
> mydomain.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 a: mydomain.com ip4:122.122.122.0/23 ptr:other-expected.com -all"

Right, how about publishing the REAL domain. Helping you blind is impossible.

As has been said - DON'T USE PTR. That authorises anything with a
reverse DNS ending in the specified domain. You don't have to control
the domain's DNS to have a reverse DNS of an IP pointing to a domain.

RE: FW: spf record syntax check [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 19 May 2009 08:09:16 -0400 "Joey" <Joey@Web56.net> wrote:
>Received-SPF: permerror (mydomain.com: Maximum void DNS look-ups limit (2)
exceeded)

This is a problem in your record. Without knowing the domain, it's not
possible to help you further.

Scott K