Mailing List Archive

May be off topic, but it is relevant
Dear all

I recently spent several days trying to figure out why a customer was getting blacklisted on CBL after several years of unchanged configuration.

It turned out that CBL have suddenly and arbitrarily decided to blacklist any mail server that answers with HELO that looks like a dynamic address, even if it is not.

Some time ago e.g. 2 years+, my ISP recommended that I set the FQDN of my Exchange email server to xxx.demon.co.uk which is what reverse DNS will produce when looking up the IP. Now it has been changed back to mailgate.xxxx.ltd.uk.

FYI they define something to be a dynamic address if the name looks like the address the ISP has your IP resolving to, whether or not the IP address is static (as in these cases) or dynamic.

So to avoid this, your mail server's HELO string must be something different to the style of address used by ISPs.

But it does highlight a number of issues - not least, blacklists arbitrarily taking decisions without thinking through the consequences.

Greylisting is another problem area - I have found some admins who have implemented this with settings that ensure that a standard Exchange server will never get through because the settings are mutually exclusive.

All of these are kludges - it would be much better if we had all legitimate mailservers adopting SPF

Sorry if some of you think this is off topic, but I thought it worth alerting people to the style of mailserver name getting you blacklisted.

Tony Gore
email  tony@aspen.uk.com
tel +44-1278-761000  FAX +44-1278-760006  GSM +44-7768-598570
Aspen Enterprises Limited
Registered in England and Wales no. 3055963 Reg.Office Aspen House, Burton Row, Brent Knoll, Somerset TA9 4BW.  UK

Re: May be off topic, but it is relevant [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 21:28, Tony Gore <tony@aspen.uk.com> wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I recently spent several days trying to figure out why a customer was getting blacklisted on CBL after several years of unchanged configuration.
>
> It turned out that CBL have suddenly and arbitrarily decided to blacklist any mail server that answers with HELO that looks like a dynamic address, even if it is not.

What have you got to support this theory? Given that the CBL (like
other DNSBLs) is applied to the connecting host IP, not the HELO,
there's no way for the CBL to make this decision. It sounds more like
the recipient has made this decision and is blaming it on the CBL
(I've seen enough rejections because of failing SPF checks, when there
is no SPF record to check against).

--
Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor
doesn't become a monster. Friedrich Nietzsche

RE: May be off topic, but it is relevant [ In reply to ]
> It turned out that CBL have suddenly and arbitrarily decided to blacklist any mail
> server that answers with HELO that looks like a dynamic address, even if it is not.

Rob has a point about HELO but there are ISPs that will use reverse DNS. AOL says:

"All e-mail servers connecting to AOL's mail servers must have valid and meaningful (not dynamic-looking) reverse DNS records."

http://postmaster.aol.com/guidelines/standards.html

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.

~ Taglines by Taglinator: www.srtware.com ~

Re: May be off topic, but it is relevant [ In reply to ]
I've had excellent communications with CBL staff on several occasions.

If your IP is getting black listed by them, simply contact them via the methods on their website.

I'm unaware of any policy by CBL to begin listing dynamimc IPs.

http://cbl.abuseat.org/

You can also go to that website and plug in your IP and receive a status report as to if and why you got listed.

John.

Re: May be off topic, but it is relevant [ In reply to ]
CBL clearly states they do not care if the IP is dynamic.

It is more likely that your client ended up with a virus and is sending out spam to cbl spam traps.

From the CBL webiste:

NEW! The CBL also lists certain portions of SpamBot infrastructure, such as Spam BOT/virus infector download web sites, and other web sites or name servers exclusively dedicated to the use of Spam BOTs. Considerable care is taken to avoid listing IP addresses that have are or are likely to be shared with legitimate use, except in the case of infector download websites.

In other words, the CBL only lists IPs that have attempted email connections to one of our servers in such a way as to indicate that the sending IP is infected, OR, IPs specifically dedicated to the propagation/use of Spam BOTs.

The CBL does NO probes. In other words, the CBL NEVER makes connections to other machines to "test" anything.

The CBL does NOT test for nor list open SMTP relays.

The CBL only lists individual IPs, it NEVER lists ranges.

The CBL does NOT care whether an IP is dynamic or not, if connections the IP makes indicate that it's infected, it is listed regardless.

The CBL does NOT attempt to associate IP addresses to persons or organizations, and furthermore, a CBL listing should NOT be construed as accusing anyone of spamming - virtually all listees are the victims of a virus or other compromise, not deliberately spamming.

The CBL does NOT accept external submissions for listing. Hence it is not possible for the CBL to be used as an instrument of revenge (eg: "disgruntled ex-employee" or "competitor").

The CBL operates in an entirely automated way designed to avoid listings of spamtrap hits due to bounces of forged spam, virus bounces, and "real" mail servers emitting the occasional spam. It tries very hard to avoid listing legitimate mail sources. It does not attempt to list every possible spam source.

******************************

Re: May be off topic, but it is relevant [ In reply to ]
On 18-Mar-09, at 6:29 PM, John Blazek wrote:

> I've had excellent communications with CBL staff on several occasions.
>
> If your IP is getting black listed by them, simply contact them via
> the methods on their website.
>
> I'm unaware of any policy by CBL to begin listing dynamimc IPs.
>
> http://cbl.abuseat.org/
>
> You can also go to that website and plug in your IP and receive a
> status report as to if and why you got listed.
>

> John.
>
> At 04:55 PM 3/18/2009, you wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 21:28, Tony Gore <tony@aspen.uk.com> wrote:
>>> Dear all
>>>
>>> I recently spent several days trying to figure out why a customer
>>> was getting blacklisted on CBL after several years of unchanged
>>> configuration.
>>>
>>> It turned out that CBL have suddenly and arbitrarily decided to
>>> blacklist any mail server that answers with HELO that looks like a
>>> dynamic address, even if it is not.

As John alluded to...right from their home page,

"The CBL does NOT care whether an IP is dynamic or not, if connections
the IP makes indicate that it's infected, it is listed regardless."

Why don't you go to their site and enter your IP address and find out
if it is actually listed in the CBL and why.

--
Gino Cerullo

Pixel Point Studios
21 Chesham Drive
Toronto, ON M3M 1W6

416-247-7740

RE: May be off topic, but it is relevant [ In reply to ]
Sorry for the delay in replying

A number of people think I made this up

From cbl@cbl.abuseat.org I got this when I did contact them - it took a couple of contacts before they replied with the following (this was days before I posted my message here)

-----------------
" What is going on here is that you are HELOing as something that looks like a dynamic assignment to us."
------------------

i.e. CBL stated that they considered that what they were seeing looked like a dynamic IP address (which it was not)

So as they were telling me directly that this was what they are doing (as I said, nothing had changed in 2 years and suddenly the address was blacklisted) that is why I decided to share it.

This was because I had spent two days billed to the client going through every machine in the place, installing packet sniffers all on the CBL assertions that "no matter how good your AV if you are getting blacklisted it means you are generating traffic".

It was not conjecture, but fact from CBL response directly.

In this case, there never had been anything - they are no looking at the HELO string and if they think it looks dynamic, they blacklist"

This was not listed on their site (the rest of their message was suppressed because it listed reverse DSN configurations).

I changed Exchange's FQDNS name and the problem went away (it doesn't matter or not whether you go direct or via the ISP's smart host, the result is the same).

I just thought passing on the unpublished addition to how CBL is now blacklisting might save someone else 2 days digging to find that CBL have arbitrarily started making new decisions about what constitutes a rogue email server.

Since the FQDN and what you put in your SPF string may have to be consistent, I thought it was relevant.

As for plugging in your IP to CBL to find out why you got listed, in this case it was of now help and let me to a considerable wasted effort because I believed that their published list of reasons was correct. Unfortunately, it is only a partial list of reasons.

The inferences you can draw from CBL's statement are

1) They are looking at the HELO string, not just the IP
2) They are comparing it to various forms that they believe are indicative of dynamic addresses
3) Their understanding of reverse DNS is different from the ISPs as far as mail goes (On this one, I think their understanding is better that the ISP's, but when this was set up 2 years ago, I could only go on what the ISP recommended when we had been having trouble getting email through to AOL; following the ISP's recommendation at that time actually solved the AOL email problem)

So thanks for the comments, but I had actually been through all of that first.

RE: May be off topic, but it is relevant [ In reply to ]
I have requested a response from CBL about this.

Based on what Tony has said, and depending on their response, I will stop using cbl and spamhaus.

It is my understanding that Spamhaus funds CBL, and uses the CBL output as a basis for one of the Spamhaus rbls.

While I also utilize dynamic ip rbl's, mixing the two is unacceptable.

John.