able to send directly, or would other parties still deny my e-mails because
of the dynamic IP?

Thanks!

Re: Newbie question - dynamic IP [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 18:24, Eric Teutsch <erict@powersoft.ca> wrote:
> Hi, I manage my own domain through EasyDNS, but was sending e-mails through
> a 3rd party company because my ISP doesn't have static IPs.  If I have a SPF
> entry pointing to my server (whose IP is updated through DDNS), would I be
> able to send directly, or would other parties still deny my e-mails because
> of the dynamic IP?

You'd probably still get the rejection because you're sending directly
from a dynamic IP.

--
Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor
doesn't become a monster. Friedrich Nietzsche

Re: Newbie question - dynamic IP [ In reply to ]
Whether recipients' servers reject your mail because of the dynamic IP
is, I think, a policy question on their part. They could choose to
reject all mail coming from dynamic IPs before they even look at an SPF
record. Certainly it would make me nervous.

Caveat: I'm a newbie at SPF, too; this is just what makes sense to me.

RE: Newbie question - dynamic IP [ In reply to ]
You will want the SPF record to point to the IP address of the server
sending out the emails. If the 3rd party company uses a static IP (which
I am assuming since you only mentioned that you use dynamic IP's) to
send out your emails then your SPF record will include their IP address,
not yours.

Felipe Tapia
Network Administrator
Nutrition Express
310-784-8500 ext. 222
310-784-1976 (fax)

Re: Newbie question - dynamic IP [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 18:37, Andrew Slayman <info@artfulmedia.net> wrote:
> Whether recipients' servers reject your mail because of the dynamic IP is, I
> think, a policy question on their part. They could choose to reject all mail
> coming from dynamic IPs before they even look at an SPF record. Certainly it
> would make me nervous.

Most mail servers reject based upon the connecting host before they
know what domain the email is from. Further, rejecting from dynamic
IPs is an anti-spam method. SPF is not a way of saying your mail
isn't spam, but a way of saying your mail is really from the domain in
question. This means that that email that passes SPF checks isn't
guaranteed non-spam.

RE: Newbie question - dynamic IP [ In reply to ]
Eric Teutsch wrote on 3/18/2009 1:24:22 PM:

> Hi, I manage my own domain through EasyDNS, but was sending e-mails
through
> a 3rd party company because my ISP doesn't have static IPs. If I have
a SPF
> entry pointing to my server (whose IP is updated through DDNS), would
I be
> able to send directly, or would other parties still deny my e-mails
because
> of the dynamic IP?

Felipe has the correct answer for you I think. However there is
a FAQ on this:

http://www.openspf.org/auth/FAQ/Dynamic_IP

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- A Penny saved is a congressional oversight.

~ Taglines by Taglinator: www.srtware.com ~

RE: Newbie question - dynamic IP [ In reply to ]
Eric you must have been logged in when you sent the dynamic ip faq link.
(login prompt pops up)

This is what it should have been:

http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Dynamic_IP

Brian

RE: Newbie question - dynamic IP [ In reply to ]
Woops sorry Eric I meant Steve.