Mailing List Archive

New to SPF - Having trouble receiving emails from others
Hello,

I am totally new to SPF. I am having a problem receiving emails from "some"
senders, and after digging into the problem, believe it may be related to
SPF policies.

I was fortunate enough to be notified by one of my vendors that emails they
sent to me were rejected. They sent me the info noted below from one of the
rejected emails. It appears to have been rejected by "my" domain.

My email is hosted by MyDomain.com. The domain that I am having trouble
with is "wrap-arounds.net". I've learned that there is an SPF record
associated with my domain of "v=spf1 a mx". I was not aware that there was
an SPF record on my domain until this problem came to light, and I believe
this is the root of my problem. I believe senders that also have SPF
policies on their sending domains are the ones that I am not receiving.

Aside from the Charmyn.com domain, the other domain that I know I have
trouble with is AOL users. Before I turn SPF off on my domain, I would like
to try and make it work correctly.

I believe the current SPF record is correct for me to send emails, but I'm
wondering if I need something additional when handshaking with a sender that
uses SPF. If it was just emails from Charmyn.com that were bouncing, I
would suspect their SPF policies to be at fault. However, I'm 98% sure I am
not receiving email from AOL user either, which makes me think I need to
look at my own domain.

Appreciate any help you can offer.
Kevin Smith

Kevin Smith
847-214-6265
kevinsmith@wowway.com

Re: New to SPF - Having trouble receiving emails from others [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 04:04, Kevin <kevinsmith@wowway.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am totally new to SPF. I am having a problem receiving emails from "some"
> senders, and after digging into the problem, believe it may be related to
> SPF policies.
>
> I was fortunate enough to be notified by one of my vendors that emails they
> sent to me were rejected. They sent me the info noted below from one of the
> rejected emails. It appears to have been rejected by "my" domain.

From the bounce it looks like:

a) You are checking incoming mail against any published SPF record
b) The sender is not sending mail in accordance with THEIR published SPF record
c) You are honouring the "-all" to reject all email not sent in
accordance with their published SPF record

>> <Kevin@wrap-arounds.net>:
>> Connected to 72.5.54.189 but sender was rejected.
>> Remote host said: 550 See
>> http://spf.pobox.com/why.html?sender=webmaster@charmyn.com&ip=64.202.165.29&receiver=72.5.54.189 (#5.7.1)

If you follow that link, you'll see that the message was delivered
through secureserver.net (who, BTW, have a broken SPF record - too
many DNS lookups). The sender would need to get in touch (either the
list of the online support form) for assistance in working out a
valid, working, SPF record.

Note that the SPF record you publish won't impact mail sent to you, so
there would be nothing to gain in this case by changing or removing
your own SPF record.

--
Please keep list traffic on the list.

Rob MacGregor
doesn't become a monster. Friedrich Nietzsche

Re: New to SPF - Having trouble receiving emails from others [ In reply to ]
On Wed, November 26, 2008 05:04, Kevin wrote:

> My email is hosted by MyDomain.com. The domain that I am having trouble
> with is "wrap-arounds.net". I've learned that there is an SPF record
> associated with my domain of "v=spf1 a mx". I was not aware that there was
> an SPF record on my domain until this problem came to light, and I believe
> this is the root of my problem. I believe senders that also have SPF
> policies on their sending domains are the ones that I am not receiving.

http://old.openspf.org/wizard.html?mydomain=wrap-arounds.net&submit=Go!

spf have A in the record, but there is no A record on dns

to clearify more ask reject msgs from users

--
Benny Pedersen
Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098