Mailing List Archive

Spoofing
Greetings,

I have a client who has recently started receiving a lot of non delivery
reports for emails he has not sent, his email address is being used as the
from address.

Please forgive a novice question would a SPF record for the clients email
domain help prevent this?

His current email address is domain using a Comcast Business Static IP
address.

Thanks in advance.

Justin Maas

jmaas@msn.com

Re: Spoofing [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Have you implemented SPF at your mail server software and publish the
txt dns record?

Best regards

heze54

Justin Maas wrote:

>Greetings,
>

>I have a client who has recently started receiving a lot of non delivery
>reports for emails he has not sent, his email address is being used as the
>from address.
>

>Please forgive a novice question would a SPF record for the clients email
>domain help prevent this?
>

>His current email address is domain using a Comcast Business Static IP
>address.
>

>Thanks in advance.
>

>Justin Maas
>

>jmaas@msn.com

Antes de imprimir piensa en tu responsabilidad y compromiso con el MEDIO AMBIENTE
Mensaje analizado y protegido, tecnologia antivirus amavis+clamav

RE: Spoofing [ In reply to ]
No we have not or DNS host (Verio) to the best of my knowledge does not
support txt records.

Thanks

Justin Maas wrote:

>Greetings,
>

>I have a client who has recently started receiving a lot of non delivery
>reports for emails he has not sent, his email address is being used as the
>from address.
>

>Please forgive a novice question would a SPF record for the clients email
>domain help prevent this?
>

>His current email address is domain using a Comcast Business Static IP
>address.
>

>Thanks in advance.
>

>Justin Maas
>

>jmaas@msn.com

Antes de imprimir piensa en tu responsabilidad y compromiso con el MEDIO
AMBIENTE
Mensaje analizado y protegido, tecnologia antivirus amavis+clamav

please go to
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&

Re: Spoofing [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 03 October 2007 16:39, Justin Maas wrote:
> Greetings,
>

> I have a client who has recently started receiving a lot of non delivery
> reports for emails he has not sent, his email address is being used as the
> from address.

From or Mail From/Return Path (it makes a big difference)?

> Please forgive a novice question would a SPF record for the clients email
> domain help prevent this?

Maybe. It would probably reduce it some due to receivers rejecting at SMTP
time and not generating a post-SMTP bounce. It may stop it as sometimes
spammers move on once a domain has a complete SPF record.

> His current email address is domain using a Comcast Business Static IP
> address.

If that's the only source of legitimate mail for your customer's domain, then
the SPF record would be:

v=spf1 ip4:aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd -all

You should also publish a record for the HELO name of the server (it would be
the same in this case).

Scott K

RE: Spoofing [ In reply to ]
We had the same problem with 1and1. We use DNSMadeEasy together with
1and1 to implement SPF for our domain.

A related question. How do you implement the HELO record?

Thanks, Rich

Richard Parenteau, Operations
inDplay Inc., 3000 Bridge Parkway, Redwood Shores, CA 94065
richp@indplay.com +1(408) 829-8315 direct +1(815) 572-5117 fax

Re: Spoofing [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 03 October 2007 17:36, Richard Parenteau wrote:
> Hi, We had the same problem with 1and1. We use DNSMadeEasy together
> with 1and1 to implement SPF for our domain.
>
> A related question. How do you implement the HELO record?

It's a TXT record published for the hostname of your machine. E.g. for
example.com, it might be mail.example.com. Same rules for the record, just
for a different name.

Scott K

RE: Spoofing [ In reply to ]
Justin Maas wrote on 10/3/2007 4:10:01 PM:

> No we have not or DNS host (Verio) to the best of my knowledge does
not
> support txt records.

Verio should...we use a couple of their channels for our web
hosting services, though we also run our own DNS for other reasons. If
you can't edit TXT records directly, send a request to tech support to
add/modify a TXT record for your domain.

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- I have lost my mind, but it must be backed-up somewhere.

~ Taglines by Taglinator - www.srtware.com ~

Re: Spoofing [ In reply to ]

> Please forgive a novice question would a SPF record for the clients email
> domain help prevent this?

My experience is that it won't help much. We have seen the same problem
when spammers hijack our email addresses and we have SPF and Sender ID
configured in our TXT records. On examination, it appears that they are
using the Return-Path with our email address, so any compliant SPF
checking system will reject it, but since there are so many email
systems around the world that don't do SPF checking on the receiving
end, the number of bounces that come back can be extremely high since
spammers send out millions of emails. It does seem that the spammers
move on eventually, using some other poor soul's email address for the
next batch of garbage.

David

Re: Spoofing [ In reply to ]
Hi,

You are right, there are administrators who do not want to implement
SPF or the do not know ho to do this... or the dont matter.

I have been using SPF for 2,5 years and its wonderfull. I recomend to
use it now!!!, you'll feel the diference.

Best regards

heze54

RE: Spoofing [ In reply to ]
Oh! no Rob, the email address am sending mail from (sabraham@cananinc.com) is not the domain am having problem with. You right, (GoDaddy) managed incoming and outgoing mail for cananinc.com but this is not the domain am having issues with.
As for the domain am having issues with, all the incoming and outgoing mail are managed by in house Exchange Server 2007.

We registered our domain with (Hostway) and they are the one who host our website but email part is managed by us.
What I did was that, I put IP address of our exchange server in our MX record, for the exchange server to be able to send and receive email.
That’s how it's configured.

Thanks,
Abraham