Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: Setting up SPF to allow all mail from mail servers which I trust [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 08:43:39AM +0100,
David Illsley <david@illsley.org> wrote
a message of 17 lines which said:

> I wish SPF to recognise any mail sent from my University network and
> my ISP network to be seen as valid and let through. The domains for
> those networks are ed.ac.uk and pipex.com respectively.

Hmmm, "v=spf1 ptr ptr:pipex.com -all" might be sufficient *if* every
machine on both networks has a proper PTR. Otherwise, you will have to
use IP addresses.

But, since Pipex is a different entity, may be convincing them to have
their own SPF record (and then redirect to it) may be a better idea.

-------
Re: Setting up SPF to allow all mail from mail servers which I trust [ In reply to ]
The best thing to do would be to include: bouth ed.ac.uk and pipex.com,
but as neither of those seem to have spf records that's at this point
not an option.

You could also try to find out which ip's are being used by those isp's
and include them in your spf record with ip4 mechanisms (possibly by
collating blocks if ip adresses using CIDR notation).

The best thing, however, is to have a mail server that accepts mail from
you using authenticated smtp, so that wherever you are you can submit
outgoing mail to that server. The spf record then only has to contain
that server.

If you are unable or don't have the resources to set up such a server, a
service specifically for small domain owners like yourself is in the
making, and will be offered free for low-traffic users. Expect this
service to be online within one or two months tops.

Koen

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 08:43:39AM +0100, David Illsley wrote:
> I wish SPF to recognise any mail sent from my University network and my
> ISP network to be seen as valid and let through.
> The domains for those networks are ed.ac.uk and pipex.com respectively.
> (I appreciate that this isn't the most secure way but it's what I want
> for the moment.)
>
> I can't seem to get the right string going through the wizards and was
> wondering if someone could help.
>
> Thanks,
> David
>
> -------
> Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
> Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
> To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your
> subscription, please go to
> http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------