Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
RE: Setting up SPF [ In reply to ]
At 13:59 12/10/2009 Monday, Jonathan Lumb wrote:
>Thanks for the quick response.
>
>I did know we were using Murphx.net as a mail relay so I should have mentioned that in my post. Apologies for that. During my testing I did an include for murphx but they use so many servers I couldn't pin it down and as Vic points out, they may not carry an SPF. Would I be best not using Murphx as a relay?

you could do that
or build a list of their delevering ips /ranges yourself {trial and error as they shouldn't take long or include the /24/23... they use for mailservers}
or add ptr:Murphx.net and allow all their valid servers and a few invalid ones to pass
or add prt:edge-c.Murphx.net if tests show all their mail servers to be within this ptr sub=domain

i would be tempted to take up the offer of bounce a bunch of testmails to me {or yourself via gmail/wherever
and that way get a profile of likely source matches for murphx.net

adding their ips as ranges shouldn't be an issue if they are trusted by you not to be trying to forge anything from you, if they arn't trusted using them as a relay would be bad ;)

or if vics mate can get a list of ip's / ranges it would be fine to directly add those to your spf

RE: Setting up SPF [ In reply to ]
> Using include gives a permerror

You'll get that if there isn't anything to include.

> trying to mx murphx without any real
> success. The wrong way of doing things I guess.

Yep. MX is for inbound mail, you need the outbound servers. For larger
installations, these are frequently not the same machines.

> I have sent a request for
> SPF info to the ISP but failing this, will have to change provider or
> bypass.

Is there a reason you're not sending directly? It might make life a lot
easier...

> We used to be on Demon, changed before my arrival.

Don't change back. Demon have been pulling all sorts of stunts lately.

> HELO hostname: mx-relay-02.edge-c.murphx.net
> Source IP: 62.69.62.102

Note that this is not one of the MXes you list later...

> virtual-college.co.uk. 86400 IN MX 20 82.47.215.100.
> virtual-college.co.uk. 86400 IN MX 0 mail.virtual-college.co.uk.
> virtual-college.co.uk. 86400 IN MX 10 mail2.virtual-college.co.uk.

Do you really need 3 inbound servers? That's nothing to do with SPF, but
will probably cause you far more difficulty than it solves problems...

Vic.

RE: Setting up SPF [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

I added the prt:edge-c.Murphx.net as all test emails showed up as being within this subdomain. Finally a pass. Many thanks for you all for your assistance and clear explanations.
Point taken with regards to moving back to Demon.
We use 3 incoming as mail-primary, mail2-secondary and telewest-last chance. I thought this was recommended. If not, I can change.
I will continue testing to ensure all mails are behaving and then implement on our other domains.

Thanks again

RE: Setting up SPF [ In reply to ]
Jonathan Lumb wrote on Mon, Oct 12 2009 at 10:32 am:

> Oh and if Vic does get a list of IPs I will alter to suite. Would be
better specifying
> individual IPs than a whole sub domain.

And in general PTR will cause the other end some extra DNS
lookups:

http://www.openspf.org/SPF_Record_Syntax#ptr

The best solution is for murphx.net to set up an SPF record for their
customers to use (ideally listing only IP addresses), and you can then
include it in your record. They can then add/remove mail servers at
will.

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- ERROR: ERROR: ERROR: ERROR: ERROR: <*SMACK*> C:\>_

~ Taglines by Taglinator: www.srtware.com ~

RE: [OT] was Setting up SPF [ In reply to ]
At 16:31 12/10/2009 Monday, Jonathan Lumb wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I added the prt:edge-c.Murphx.net as all test emails showed up as being within this subdomain. Finally a pass. Many thanks for you all for your assistance and clear explanations.
>Point taken with regards to moving back to Demon.
>We use 3 incoming as mail-primary, mail2-secondary and telewest-last chance. I thought this was recommended. If not, I can change.
>I will continue testing to ensure all mails are behaving and then implement on our other domains.

the only recommended with respect to incoming is

A they all know which addresses are valid and which are not
{ie if i send mail to totaly-made@your-domain and it is rejected by your primary MX it damn well better be rejected by your secondaries too}

this is because otherwise it will be accepted by your secondaries, then rejected when they try to connect to your primary, resulting in them sending a bounce NDR to the 'victim' the guy who's address was forged in the envelope-from

2 possible outcomes,
your secondaries used to victimize people {bounce-spam, ndr-bombing, ddos whatever}
your secondaries end up widely blacklisted to avoid the above

B they all run the same checks/policy
for pretty much the same reasons as above {ie all rejections must be between the sender and your MX not between one of your high-mx's>lower-mx

C if you run SPF checks ensure your own backup MX's are whitelisted and see point B

so because of these rules most people have multiple MX's only when they directly control ALL of them
as its hard to achieve rule B otherwise
anyone failing rule A is just outright callous/lazy {but not uncommon}

[.but all this is moot if the only MX capable of delivering to a users mailbox is the primary, as then the others are doing nothing usefull]
most successful multiple MX setups have an alternate route from backup>mailbox if primary is down and can't get up
{private/internal mx's to pop3 hosts or even manual scripts to fetchmail/sort}

here we use 4 MX's
primary is a false primary {permanently down} to absorb/log a lot of bot syn traffic {all valid mts's fail up some {few} bots never do}
secondary real primary physically closest to our mailbox server thus fastest delivery route
teritary real secondary remote site with wan link to mailbox server so if Internet provider goes dark at primary or bgp issues mail still gets through
fourth and final leg a false last MX with similar job to primary {absorbs lots of bot syn traffic as most bots try last MX first {as most people have the laxest policy on the last {as they fail point B above} so most bots try last first and fail down, we dnsbl any ip trying our last first, with some whitelisting for known broken sites}

[.for anyone checking our 4th MX dnsbl system is currently down so pointed at the same ip as primary {dead but logging} till fixed]

Re: Setting up SPF [ In reply to ]
> Sadly, it looks like Murphx don't have an SPF record - I'll take a look at
> that (one of their sysads is a personal friend of mine).

OK, I've asked the question. It would appear that Murphx aren't likely to
set up an SPF record anytime soon, but they have two outgoing relays - on
62.69.62.101 and 62.69.62.102.

Vic.

RE: Setting up SPF [ In reply to ]
Vic wrote on Mon, Oct 12 2009 at 9:15 pm:

> OK, I've asked the question. It would appear that Murphx aren't likely
> set up an SPF record anytime soon, but they have two outgoing relays -
on
> 62.69.62.101 and 62.69.62.102.

If those are the only two outgoing/delivery mail servers in use
for your domain, then you can simply use:

v=spf1 ip4:62.69.62.101 ip4:62.69.62.102 -all

(or ~all during testing).

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- Wisdom of Bart: Coffee is not for kids

~ Taglines by Taglinator: www.srtware.com ~