Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
Re: Setting up SPF [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 ricknorris@alltel.net wrote:

> Hello,

Hello.

> I am at a loss here. Where do I put the text file? Is it on a server I have internally, or on a server with our ISP.

You will put your TXT record in your DNS server.

> Also, we have a 1 mail server that sends out 5 different e-mail domains. ie. mail1.com, mail2.com, mail3.com .... they all send from one machine and we have one mx record. This is due to the company having 5 different business groups. So each employee has 2 or 3 different e-mail addresses pertaining to their function and business unit.

You will need one SPF record to each domain.

> How would this look in the TXT file?
> I was thinking "v=spf1 a mx ptr ~all"
>
> Does that sound right?

If you have only one server and this server it's MX too, i think it's
better just put "v=spf1 ip4:xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ~all". Will not need one dns
lookup. After some time, you can think about -all...

Regards,
Roberto
Re: RE: Setting up SPF [ In reply to ]
> Thanks Scott,

It looks like this

MX Record - 208.178.28.7 (if you ping mail.domain.com this is the address)

e-mail addresses are ... americansterling.com, asgofc.com, asbloan.com, americansterlingbank.com

We have one internal Exchange server.

Thanks.

RE: RE: Setting up SPF [ In reply to ]

Since you run your own DNS server, you will have to put the records in your
zone file yourself. Roberto's advice about record content is good.

Scott Kitterman
Re: Setting up SPF [ In reply to ]
The SPF record has to be added to your ISP DNS servers.