Mailing List Archive

a newbie question
Hi every body

my question may be stupid
and i think it must have already been asked

googlemail, for instance, takes the "return-path"
email address (which may be different than
the from address) in order to process its spf filter

let's imagine that this return-path is "forged"
and the from address is fake ...

an example !

return-path : toto@spamer.com
from : billg@microsoft.com

in our usual email client, we'll see this email sent by billg@microsoft.com,
however, the return-path has
been accepted by the spf filter
because this spamer (for phishing ...)
has a record
.spamer.com in txt "all his smtp servers"

is spf a good solution so ?

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
RE: a newbie question [ In reply to ]
Well the *idea* is that a company that implements spf checking would
deny this email at the gateway. It would never make it to the client.

and i think it must have already been asked

googlemail, for instance, takes the "return-path"
email address (which may be different than the from address) in order to
process its spf filter

let's imagine that this return-path is "forged"
and the from address is fake ...

an example !

return-path : toto@spamer.com
from : billg@microsoft.com

in our usual email client, we'll see this email sent by
billg@microsoft.com, however, the return-path has been accepted by the
spf filter because this spamer (for phishing ...) has a record
.spamer.com in txt "all his smtp servers"

is spf a good solution so ?

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
subscription, please go to
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com

This email is intended only for the named recipents. All email is monitored and archived for compliance requirements.
The views or context in this message may not reflect the view or context of the company.
Re: a newbie question [ In reply to ]
It would not deny this email if spamer.com has no spf record or an spf
record that allows this mail.. (assuming that with return-path Yannick
meant the envelope from and with From : he meant the 2822 From: header..

And yes, this is a problem with SPF-Classic, which will be one of the
things Unified SPF will address..

the

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 09:54:25PM -0400, Benjamin Zachary wrote:
> Well the *idea* is that a company that implements spf checking would
> deny this email at the gateway. It would never make it to the client.

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------
Re: a newbie question [ In reply to ]
> It would not deny this email if spamer.com has no spf record or an spf
> record that allows this mail.. (assuming that with return-path Yannick
> meant the envelope from and with From : he meant the 2822 From: header..
>
> And yes, this is a problem with SPF-Classic, which will be one of the
> things Unified SPF will address..

Ok, please
consider that my company sends mail
with a subdomain for the return-path

like amazon.com
our e-mails are sent with
a from header "sender@domain.com"
but with a return-path "email_id@bounces.domain.com"

so, i hope Unified SPF will address this issue too

regards

Yannick

-------
RE: a newbie question [ In reply to ]
Koen --

Is there a good site that previews the features proposed for Unified SPF?
I'd like to get a head start.

Thanks.

Serre Murphy
Net Fulfillment Technologies, Inc.