Are we now SPF compliant?

RIchard Schamp
eMedicine.com

---

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: SPR2 records in Microsoft [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 01:48:31PM -0400, Rschamp wrote:
> Dear SPF forum:
>
> DNSReports.com says we do not have an SPF record but we do have an SPF2 text record. TXT (v=spf2.0/pra wks include ... -all)
>
> I followed the directions from Microsoft DNS to create TXT records on each of our DNS servers.
>
> I created WKS records with an SMTP description for each of the SMTP servers our developers want to maintain.
>
> Are we now SPF compliant?

v=spf2.0/pra is not a valid tag, no matter what microsoft says (note that
their wizard says that it is experimental to give you a feel of how spf
records will look like, for actual use the wizard is just unusable).

Now what is WKS ?

Here are some resources for setting up and validating spf records:

http://spf.pobox.com/wizard.html

http://spf.sonologic.nl/

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------
Re: SPR2 records in Microsoft [ In reply to ]
Koen Martens wrote:

>On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 01:48:31PM -0400, Rschamp wrote:
>

>>Dear SPF forum:
>>
>>DNSReports.com says we do not have an SPF record but we do have an SPF2 text record. TXT (v=spf2.0/pra wks include ... -all)
>>
>>I followed the directions from Microsoft DNS to create TXT records on each of our DNS servers.
>>
>>I created WKS records with an SMTP description for each of the SMTP servers our developers want to maintain.
>>
>>Are we now SPF compliant?
>>

>v=spf2.0/pra is not a valid tag, no matter what microsoft says (note that
>their wizard says that it is experimental to give you a feel of how spf
>records will look like, for actual use the wizard is just unusable).
>
>Now what is WKS ?

Well Known Service records in DNS...

I didn't realise anyone still used them...

-------
Re: SPR2 records in Microsoft [ In reply to ]
Dear Koen:

I revised my SPF TXT record on all 3 of our eMedicine DNS servers to have a text file:

type: TXT
Name: SPF
Data: v=spf1 MX WKS include:server.czyz.net -all

The well known services records (WKS) all point to port 25 / SMTP. This way, I can have many SMTP servers (which is not under my control) and still keep the DNS record under 1000 bytes.

However, I still cannot get the test sites to believe I have an SPF record.

What am I doing wrong?

Rick Schamp

http://www.dnsreport.com
SPF record Your domain does not have an SPF record. This means that spammers can easily send out E-mail that looks like it came from your domain, which can make your domain look bad (if the recipient thinks you really sent it), and can cost you money (when people complain to you, rather than the spammer). You may want to add an SPF record before October 1, 2004, the target date for domains to have SPF records in place.

the standard reference why.html page
An email system which uses SPF rejected a message claiming to be from emedicine.com.
An email system which uses SPF saw a message coming from the IP address 204.168.118.41; the sender claimed to be emedicine.com.

emedicine.com does not publish SPF records. It is possible that the recipient domain refuses all mail from domains which do not publish SPF data.

Re: SPR2 records in Microsoft [ In reply to ]
First, I'm new at this.

Second, I did go to Microsoft's site for direction on how to create the SPF
(since I don't run bind, etc) and found an obscure reference to WKS.

Third, we do mailing lists and I didn't want to give the MX record to these
SMTP servers since they do not accept email.

Fourth, there is a 1024 character limit on DNS record and attaching a text
file seemed "out of character" for the interface.

I'm all ears.

Richard Schamp