Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: Domain registration [ In reply to ]
That is also my concern, I have some 500 domains with exactly the same
problem one domain's e-mail system can be used by some 100 different
users, in totally different places round the world, and like you say
most ISP's are blocking relay SMTP traffic.
So how to handle this one ?

Regards
Otto W Nielsen

RE: Domain registration [ In reply to ]
> That is also my concern, I have some 500 domains with exactly
> the same problem one domain's e-mail system can be used by
> some 100 different users, in totally different places round
> the world, and like you say most ISP's are blocking relay
> SMTP traffic.
> So how to handle this one ?

Use port 26 or 587 instead.

-------
Re: Domain registration [ In reply to ]
I still don't follow if I use port 26 true that most ISP's will let it
through, but what do we achieve here then ? We will use the ISP's SMTP
server and so would the SPAMER, so how would this stop spamers ?
Or would we then have to define all the possible ISP's ?

Regards
Otto W Nielsen

RE: Domain registration [ In reply to ]
> I still don't follow if I use port 26 true that most ISP's
> will let it through, but what do we achieve here then ? We
> will use the ISP's SMTP server and so would the SPAMER, so
> how would this stop spamers ?
> Or would we then have to define all the possible ISP's ?

Perhaps I misunderstood the question. I thought the problem was that your
users can't use your mailserver because their ISPs are blocking port 25. If
you tell them to connect on a different port, then they won't have to send
mail through their ISPs' mailserver.

If that isn't what the problem is, could you explain it a bit more?

Mark

-------
Re: Domain registration [ In reply to ]
I agree - and it is nearly impossible to ask 2000+ users 30% of which are IT
Challenged to change their port settings - most of them would think i was
talking about their drinking habits
Most of all why is this system going directly against established best
practices amongs ISP's

Regards
Peter

Re: Domain registration [ In reply to ]
Otto Willum Nielsen wrote:
> That is also my concern, I have some 500 domains with exactly the same
> problem one domain's e-mail system can be used by some 100 different
> users, in totally different places round the world, and like you say
> most ISP's are blocking relay SMTP traffic.
> So how to handle this one ?

We've turned to SMTP Auth, with support on port 587 to handle folks who
may be on ISPs blocking port 25. This assures that any mail sent by our
customers, where ever they may be, is outbound from our server.

--
A. Clausen
techlists@alberni.net

-------
Re: Domain registration [ In reply to ]
Peter Winning wrote:

> I agree - and it is nearly impossible to ask 2000+ users 30% of which are IT
> Challenged to change their port settings - most of them would think i was
> talking about their drinking habits

I'm afraid at some point you're likely going to have to bite the bullet,
particulary as SPF starts being a requirement with large ISPs.

> Most of all why is this system going directly against established best
> practices amongs ISP's

SMTP Auth has been around for a long time. We've been using it for
several years. A combination of SMTP Auth and listening on both ports
25 and 587, and changing your roaming clients to using your mail server
on port 587 will assure that your customer's messages aren't on the
wrong side of the divide.

The old rules on this are out the door. It's going to be a big pain for
everybody. I had to learn how to write SPF records, use a port
redirector because the mail server I administrate doesn't permit
simultaneous listening on two ports, and I've had to lead some customers
by the hand to alter their mail configurations (I won't even get into my
trials with setting up a Postfix relay server to serve as a proxy
betwenen my mail server and the rest of the world to prevent joe jobs
and the like from knocking it out).

--
A. Clausen
techlists@alberni.net

-------
Re: Domain registration [ In reply to ]
Dear Otto,

> I still don't follow if I use port 26 true that most ISP's will let it
> through, but what do we achieve here then ? We will use the ISP's SMTP
> server and so would the SPAMER, so how would this stop spamers ?
> Or would we then have to define all the possible ISP's ?

No, you just configure your clients to send their mail to your own
SMTP server on either port 26 or better port 587, which shold not be
blocked by the foreign ISP they're using to connect...

Best regards,
Johannes

-------
Re: Domain registration [ In reply to ]
HI,

What do we do when port 587 becomes blocked for the same reason(s) as port
25 is being blocked?

Do we just keep switching to unused ports, one after another?

I don't see how end users are going to put up with this mess. They just
want to send their email and they don't what to have to mess around
switching ports because Microsoft or another big guy descides they aren't
going to use port 587 any longer.

There has to be a better way!

-Phil. :)

RE: Domain registration [ In reply to ]
Hi,

If 587 was used only for SMTP-AUTH like it is supposed to be, it would be
easy to automatically test servers to see if they are compliant and then
automatically add them to the "Port 587 non-compliant RBL" as needed.

Mike

RE: Domain registration [ In reply to ]
HI Mike,

Do you have some information that you wish to share on how one could
automatically add non-compliant servers to an RBL? I currently use SMTP
Auth; I am interested.

-Phil.

Re: Domain registration [ In reply to ]