SPF, and the client changes his ISP then what happens regarding the SPF
record ?

Best Regards
Otto W Nielsen

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: SPF with multi ISP's [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I think what you need is to set up a central submission server, where
your clients submit their email to be sent with a MAIL FROM of their
domain. In this case, the spf record simply includes the outgoing server
of this submission service. You will want to implement something like
SMTP-AUTH for this.

Koen

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 05:56:58PM +0800, Otto Willum Nielsen wrote:
> Hi can anybody help me setting up this SPF record ?
>
> I have more than 200 domains, which are all used from different places
> round the world.
>
> I also have some domains which are used in China, and with more than
> thirty different ISP's
>
> How to set up such domain ? Also if a domain has been configured with
> SPF, and the client changes his ISP then what happens regarding the SPF
> record ?
>

> Best Regards
> Otto W Nielsen
>
> -------
> Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
> Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
> To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your
> subscription, please go to
> http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------
RE: SPF with multi ISP's [ In reply to ]
Otto Willum Nielsen wrote:
>I have more than 200 domains, which are all used from different places
>round the world.

An SPF record is per-domain, so unless the domains are completely
interchangeable and use the same SMTP servers for outgoing email, examine
each domain individually. If some of them end up having the same policy, or
inclusive policies, you can save some work by using the "include:" mechanism
and/or the "redirect=" modifier.

You can also simplify things by centralizing all outgoing email through one
or more SMTP servers which use AUTH.

>I also have some domains which are used in China, and with more than
>thirty different ISP's.

Does each domain have one or more SMTP servers which allow the users of
those domains to send e-mail? Or are you using the ISPs' SMTP servers?

>How to set up such domain ?

Well, you seem to be asking about 200+ domains at once, and providing almost
no specifics about any of them, so I'm not sure how much we can help.

>Also if a domain has been configured with
>SPF, and the client changes his ISP then what happens regarding the SPF
>record ?

Changing your ISP doesn't affect your SPF record unless:

- You were using your ISP's SMTP server for outgoing e-mail.
or
- Your own SMTP server's IP address changed during the move AND you specify
your SMTP servers using the ip4:, ip6:, or ptr: mechanisms (instead of a:,
mx:, etc...).

-------