Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: Listservers? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 03:55:29PM -0400, leonard.gray@srs.gov wrote:
> If we are publishing our own SPF records, messages sent by a listserver
> could potentially be addressed "from" our email address. When the
> listserver distributes the message, my SPF could potentially reject the
> message I sent.
>
> It looks like this listserver handles the "from" differently than some
> others, and might circumvent the potential problem.
>
> Anyone else have experience with this as an issue?

It depends on what you define as the 'from': MAIL FROM (rfc 2821,
envelope sender) or the From: header (rfc 2822, what you see in your
mua).

All the lists I'm subscribed to at the moment (including those I host
myself) send mail with an envelope sender at one of my domains, but the
from header set to the original sender.

So with spf, this is no problem: the spf check will look at the
list-server's domain not at the domain of the original sender.

With SenderID the correct behaviour depends on the presence of several
2822 headers, of which the exact details elude me at the present moment.

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------