Producer
WebMonde.net

edanskine@webmonde.net
http://www.webmonde.net

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: SPF settings in Mac OS X Server [ In reply to ]
Ok,

this is a bit late, but I see you have not yet received a reply.

Just a couple of questions (I do not run maxosx server, but i can check
things out on this laptop with macosx if needed).

What dns software does mac os x use? is this bind?

What makes you say 'they don't seem to work'? Did you use
dig/nslookup/host to see if the TXT records show up?

Koen

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 06:38:57PM -0700, Eric Danskine wrote:
> I know this sounds like a very simple question, but I¹m shaky on DNS as it
> is. I¹m using Mac OS X Server 10.3 for DNS and have tried to follow the TXT
> examples but they don¹t seem to work. Has anybody else set up a Mac server
> for SPF? Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Eric Danskine
> Producer
> WebMonde.net
>
> edanskine@webmonde.net
> http://www.webmonde.net
>

> -------
> Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
> Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
> To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your subscription,
> please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------
Re: SPF settings in Mac OS X Server [ In reply to ]
On 8/31/04 12:56 AM, Koen Martens wrote:

>What dns software does mac os x use? is this bind?

Just to answer Koen's question: Mac OSX uses Bind 9.

Thanks,
Per

--
Per Reedtz Thomsen | The Reedtz Corporation | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102 | pthomsen@reedtz.com | C: 415 425 4025

-------
Re: SPF settings in Mac OS X Server [ In reply to ]
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Thanks much for your reply.
Like the other respondent stated, OS X Server uses Bind. 9.2.2 to be exact.

When I say it didn't work, I mean that I used the wizard on spf's site and
tried to put it into my domain's DNS record. It seemed to break my DNS
record. I've just tried it again, not sure what I did different, but we'll
see. The main problem is that I'm pretty ignorant to DNS issues, not too
mention clueless with this spf business. When I do a lookup using dig, what
SHOULD I see?

I host several domains that use my mail server, do I just need this for MY
server's domain? Or do I need to put an spf text entry into the DNS zone
for ALL of my client's domains too?

A couple clients have been having mail refused by AOL for some time, and now
some other recipients are not going through also, I'm hoping that getting
this spf thing worked out will help alleviate this problem. Any help is
appreciated.

Re: SPF settings in Mac OS X Server [ In reply to ]
Are you running your own dns anyway??

I think you might get someone in to get your dns checked through, or get
to know this stuff yourself. DNS is pretty important for the correct
operation of your domains, and there's a lot you can mess up.

There's a couple of things I find suspicious about your dns
setup (for webmonde.net that is):

webmonde.net. 86321 IN NS ns2.www.webmonde.net.
webmonde.net. 86321 IN NS ns1.www.webmonde.net.

While not illegal or anything, it does look kind of funny to have
ns1.www.*.

Also there does not seem to be an mx record for your domain
webmonde.net, which again is not illegal but also looks a bit suspicious
imho.

To publish spf txt records for some domain, use something like this in
your zonefile:

irc2 IN TXT "v=spf1 redirect=nomail.sonologic.nl"

To answer your questions:

- You need an spf entry for each and every domain you want to protect.
So if you have a domain 'www.something.tld' and you never send mail
from that domein you'd have something like 'v=spf1 -all' for that
domain.

- I don't think getting spf will make the rejections by AOL disappear.
Have you checked whether you have been blacklisted on some list or
something?

Koen

Re: [*] Re: SPF settings in Mac OS X Server [ In reply to ]
Try using www.dnsreport.com to check the DNS. I reckon this does a pretty
good test

David Christy
Dragonnet

Re: SPF settings in Mac OS X Server [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 10:54:41PM +0100,
David Christy <ftgug@dragonnet.co.uk> wrote

No, it is higly bugged. Use www.zonecheck.fr instead.

-------