Mailing List Archive

txt lookup for exists mechanism domain,
I have this in my dns for clifford.ac

;; ANSWER SECTION:
clifford.ac. 12H IN TXT "v=spf1 a mx ptr
ip4:217.169.19.0/29 ?ip4:193.36.78.0/23 ~exists:spffail.clifford.ac ~all"

I am getting the expected lookups for A records for spffail.clifford.ac
but I get some lookups for txt records on spffail.cliiford.ac as well

Aug 22 10:26:30 mundungus named[8008]: XX
/80.80.11.150/spffail.clifford.ac/A/IN
Aug 22 10:26:30 mundungus named[8008]: XX
/80.80.11.150/spffail.clifford.ac/TXT/IN

Is there any reason for these txt lookups or is it just a faulty spf
client doing the wrong thing?

--
Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list. Please
address personal email to alan+1@ as lists@ is not read. A
password autoresponder may be invoked if this email is very old. )

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help@v2.listbox.com
Re: txt lookup for exists mechanism domain, [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 11:46:16AM +0100, Alan Clifford wrote:
> but I get some lookups for txt records on spffail.cliiford.ac as well
>
> Aug 22 10:26:30 mundungus named[8008]: XX
> /80.80.11.150/spffail.clifford.ac/A/IN
> Aug 22 10:26:30 mundungus named[8008]: XX
> /80.80.11.150/spffail.clifford.ac/TXT/IN
>

> Is there any reason for these txt lookups or is it just a faulty spf
> client doing the wrong thing?

You might want to experiment with macro's in your exists clause. For
example the i macro will include the client's IP in the dns lookup, this
way you can get a lot more info about what is going on.

For more please see http://spf.pobox.com/macros.html.

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

-------
Re: txt lookup for exists mechanism domain, [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Koen Martens wrote:

KM> On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 11:46:16AM +0100, Alan Clifford wrote:
KM> > but I get some lookups for txt records on spffail.cliiford.ac as well
KM> >
KM> > Aug 22 10:26:30 mundungus named[8008]: XX
KM> > /80.80.11.150/spffail.clifford.ac/A/IN
KM> > Aug 22 10:26:30 mundungus named[8008]: XX
KM> > /80.80.11.150/spffail.clifford.ac/TXT/IN
KM> >
KM> >
KM> > Is there any reason for these txt lookups or is it just a faulty spf
KM> > client doing the wrong thing?
KM>
KM> You might want to experiment with macro's in your exists clause. For
KM> example the i macro will include the client's IP in the dns lookup, this
KM> way you can get a lot more info about what is going on.

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that would be much use to me.
A lookup of somenameorother.clifford.ac wouldn't use the nameserver on my
pc so I wouldn't see the query. Only the specific subdomain,
spffail.clifford.ac is hosted on the nameserver here.

Re: txt lookup for exists mechanism domain, [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 09:57:43PM +0100, Alan Clifford wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, Koen Martens wrote:
> KM> You might want to experiment with macro's in your exists clause. For
> KM> example the i macro will include the client's IP in the dns lookup, this
> KM> way you can get a lot more info about what is going on.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think that would be much use to me.
> A lookup of somenameorother.clifford.ac wouldn't use the nameserver on my
> pc so I wouldn't see the query. Only the specific subdomain,
> spffail.clifford.ac is hosted on the nameserver here.

That's why you need to prepend the macro stuff in front of your
spffail.clifford.ac. For example, %{i}.spffail.clifford.ac would result
(if the client is connecting with up 1.2.3.4) in a lookup of
1.2.3.4.spffail.clifford.ac, which would greatly help your fault-seeking
efforts if you ask me.

Re: txt lookup for exists mechanism domain, [ In reply to ]
Alan Clifford wrote:

> Is there any reason for these txt lookups or is it just a
> faulty spf client doing the wrong thing?

The exists: mechanism is designed to work like a traditional
DNSBL, and there you'd often find an explanation in the form
of a TXT record. So maybe somebody used his code for DNSBL
queries to handle exists: (?) I'm only guessing, bye, Frank

-------