Mailing List Archive

openspf website
Problem: only Wayne Schlitt has keys to domain, and website hosted on PIII
laptop goes down. (Seems to be starved for swap space and memory among
other things.) Software needs updating.

Complications: Wayne wants to be very careful who he gives the keys to.
(For good reason.)

Action plan:

1) Julian and I have backups of the server. Use these to configure a
clone of the website on updated hardware and software. Perhaps use a
hosting service.

1a) If the new host needs to be Debian/Ubuntu, then Scott or Julian can
configure it. I can do EL5 or Fedora.

2) Put the clone site on a temporary domain for testing.

3) Email wayne, send local email on the laptop, and snail mail wayne,
asking for 5 minutes to switch the IP to the new host. Wayne still has
the power to switch back, so this should be ok with him.

4) Note the temporary domain on the website, so observant people can still
get to something in case it goes down before the next steps.

5) Hold an election for 2 or 3 active SPF members to hold the keys to the
spf domains. One of the 2 or 3 will be Wayne, since he already has the
keys.

6) Contact wayne again (see step 3) to request copies of the keys for the
elected members.

--
Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>

Re: openspf website [ In reply to ]
Thanks Stuart for the progress report.

A solid plan from you, Julian, Scott & of course Wayne.
Thanks everyone for not giving up and keeping the keys safe even under
great website difficulty.

Shane

Re: openspf website [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, September 07, 2010 03:39:34 pm you wrote:
> Problem: only Wayne Schlitt has keys to domain, and website hosted on PIII
> laptop goes down. (Seems to be starved for swap space and memory among
> other things.) Software needs updating.

FWIW, I managed to reach Julian yesterday and he restarted apache. That
should provide some short term improvement.

Scott K

Re: openspf website [ In reply to ]
Thanks, but don't we have enough expertise and resources on this list to
do better?

With a round robin DNS record and multiple hosting sites the worst that
could happen would be a partial outage if one site went down.

If it is going to be on a single machine (especially an obvious spare),
is there any reason why there shouldn't be 3 or 4 people with access to
kick it if something goes wrong?

On 09/08/2010 05:57 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Tuesday, September 07, 2010 03:39:34 pm you wrote:
>
>> Problem: only Wayne Schlitt has keys to domain, and website hosted on PIII
>> laptop goes down. (Seems to be starved for swap space and memory among
>> other things.) Software needs updating.
>>
> FWIW, I managed to reach Julian yesterday and he restarted apache. That
> should provide some short term improvement.
>
> Scott K

Daniel Taylor VP Operations Vocal Laboratories, Inc
dtaylor@vocalabs.com 952-941-6580x203

Re: openspf website [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, September 08, 2010 09:03:08 am you wrote:
top posting fixed.

> On 09/08/2010 05:57 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On Tuesday, September 07, 2010 03:39:34 pm you wrote:
> >> Problem: only Wayne Schlitt has keys to domain, and website hosted on
> >> PIII laptop goes down. (Seems to be starved for swap space and memory
> >> among other things.) Software needs updating.
> >
> > FWIW, I managed to reach Julian yesterday and he restarted apache. That
> > should provide some short term improvement.
> >
> > Scott K

> Thanks, but don't we have enough expertise and resources on this list to
> do better?
>
> With a round robin DNS record and multiple hosting sites the worst that
> could happen would be a partial outage if one site went down.
>
> If it is going to be on a single machine (especially an obvious spare),
> is there any reason why there shouldn't be 3 or 4 people with access to
> kick it if something goes wrong?

I think four people do (including Stuart, if he doesn't/doesn't anymore we can
fix that). Julian has been the primary admin of the box, so I pinged him
rather than dig out my credentials).

The biggest problem we have is that Wayne is not active in the project and
apparently very busy. There's lots we could do to make this work better if
those of us who are the most active had access to the domain.

Scott K

Re: openspf website [ In reply to ]
If y'll need help, or need another place to host a mirror site, let me know.

Terry

Terry Fielder
terry@greatgulfhomes.com
Associate Director Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
Fax: (416) 441-9085

Re: openspf website [ In reply to ]
On 9/8/10 6:28 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 08, 2010 09:03:08 am you wrote:
>> Thanks, but don't we have enough expertise and resources on this list to
>> do better?
>>
>> With a round robin DNS record and multiple hosting sites the worst that
>> could happen would be a partial outage if one site went down.
>>
>> If it is going to be on a single machine (especially an obvious spare),
>> is there any reason why there shouldn't be 3 or 4 people with access to
>> kick it if something goes wrong?
> I think four people do (including Stuart, if he doesn't/doesn't anymore we can
> fix that). Julian has been the primary admin of the box, so I pinged him
> rather than dig out my credentials).
>
> The biggest problem we have is that Wayne is not active in the project and
> apparently very busy. There's lots we could do to make this work better if
> those of us who are the most active had access to the domain.
>
> Scott K

If you need low bandwidth and high reliability, I highly recommend a VPS
(Virtual Private Server) for $20 per month at a well-established hosting
service. I'm using rimuhosting.com, and have had excellent service,
including help with problems in common software like Apache and
Sendmail. Their data centers have 24/7 maintenance, and multiple
high-bandwidth connections to backbone networks all over the world. In
3 years I've seen only one brief outage, and the machine was restored in
less than an hour, before I even noticed it was down.

If cost is a problem, I'll be glad to share a machine I have in Dallas.
Stuart already has root access. I would also trust Scott not to mess
anything up.

-- Dave

************************************************************ *
* David MacQuigg, PhD email: macquigg at ece.arizona.edu * *
* Research Associate phone: USA 520-721-4583 * * *
* ECE Department, University of Arizona * * *
* 9320 East Mikelyn Lane * * *
* http://purl.net/macquigg Tucson, Arizona 85710 *
Re: openspf website [ In reply to ]
At 14:46 08/09/2010 Wednesday, Terry Fielder wrote:
>If y'll need help, or need another place to host a mirror site, let me know.

ditto

i have 3 Apache servers capable of running named vhosts {2 sites}

already rsyncing all sites between them when updated by ftp
{easily alterable so you rsync changes to one it'll propagate them to the others}

and all running bind if needing slaves of the zone that respond to notify for fast updates

also have a testing setup of poor mans ha
{ie lookup www.example.com get directed by cname to testing.ha.my-domain
ha.mydomain is delagated to the nameservers on http-hosts each http-host only responds with its own ip for A lookups against testing.ha.my-domain and with a short ttl}

real domains not given as it would muck up my testing stats, when ready to public beta my own www.alandoherty.net will be one of the first sites using it {as its low volume}

on each http-host the stop script also takes down the named, so within half an hour of a software or hardware failure all http traffic goes to the others only, at least till the named is back up}, in the case of a scheduled outage it will give the ip of its nearest partner for 30 mins before the outage and all delegation of the zone to that server will be removed from the parent and peer zones many hours before}

but as i say its still in test, but soon, but its a great option for say www.openspf.org if it could be mirrored only on servers also running a named
they could create a sub-zone such as http-ha.openspf.org delegate that to all the mirrors also provide each mirror a personalised zone file {giving themselves as the A} for each peer that each peer could poll for changes and reload as necessary

and thus when all working/tested/happy just cname www.openspf.org to http-ha.openspf.org
and as the master server controls the delagation they can easily drop a non-responsive or rouge peer, or one that has asked to be temp-dropped for maintenance

also as its a cname no users see or need to know about the sub-zone and www.openspf.org can easily be made back into an A if for some reason it all fails

Re: openspf website [ In reply to ]
I'd be happy to contribute some DNS capability, if needed or wanted
(from the volunteer list, it looks like the HTTP side is well taken care of).

Alan M.

Re: openspf website [ In reply to ]
Hi there,

I am a president of non profit organization in france, that have bandwith, ips (ipv4 and ipv6) in Paris.

I can provide also a VM if you need.

/Xavier