Mailing List Archive

Re: Re: SPF and Google Groups (sending on behalf of)
Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote on the help list:

> there's one specific entity which takes our carefully
> crafted SPF records and then {ab|re}uses them for their
> own incompatible protocol: SenderID.

From time to time a fresh SenderID bashing is good, and
the three or four folks answering that question on the
help list all checked if it *could* be realted to this
issue.

But it clearly was not, and your idea that SenderID PRA
might do strange things with an X-Sender: header field
was, hm, strange. IMO users confronted with wrong SPF
results are entitled to ask questions on the help list,
and sending them away claiming that it's no SPF problem
if SenderID does strange things can only make sense if
their problem clearly is an effect of SenderID.

But this wasn't the case. Even if it turns out that the
implementation did the less plausible thing, and checked
X-Sender instead of 2822-From, there was a good PRA for
a SenderID PASS, and a good MAIL FROM for an SPF PASS.

The implementation is broken, it got FAIL, based on the
2822-From or maybe the equivalent X-Sender.

> If implementors get it wrong when parsing the various
> headers with all their if-then-else decisions, that's
> indirectly the fault of this other protocol, not ours.
> Why should we provide support?

Because a user wanted to know what if anything is wrong.
He is not the implementor, he has no idea what SenderID
is, from his POV this was an SPF FAIL result he didn't
understand, and he was right, it was in fact wrong.

We've not the faintest idea what caused this bug, after
all the HELO check (pure SPF) was okay, rejecting FAIL
at the border is the best possible (SPF) strategy, only
the FAIL was wrong.

> I strongly believe that anything looking at message
> headers (perhaps with the exception of return-path)
> is SenderID

Please take the ten minutes to read RFC 4407, missing a
Sender header field in a SenderID PRA check would be as
stupid as using a 2822-From instead of the MAIL FROM in
an SPF check. Let alone using any unspecified X-Sender.

> I urge all who do actually implement SenderID to
> mention SenderID in their error messages/bounces, not
> SPF.

The user who asked the question has likely never before
heard of SenderID. Apart from being rude it makes no
sense to send users to "SenderID help" (if that exists)
if their problem is a broken SPF implementation. They
won't know what this controversy is about, they could
conclude that rejecting SPF FAIL is best avoided, and
spread FUD. (I'd do that if a help list X sends me to
the Y competition with my X problem. I'd scream that
X is a useless PITA on as many public places as I can)

> I feel like we are an unpaid helpdesk for MS

Simply ignore messages where you feel that way. We are
interested to tell users that they should not use SPF
records for PRA checks, the place where we can do that
is on SPF HELP. On the imaginary "SenderID help" list
they'd hear a slightly different story in conflict with
RFC 4408.

> something I do not like very much.

If some "SenderID helpdesk" exists you'd like it even
less if they answer questions about SPF, or offer their
version about four erroneous characters in RFC 4406 4.3.

Was that a common problem in the last year on the help
list ? After my system crash a year ago, and after
GMaNe lost its SPF HELP access in November, I'm not up
to date with what are frequent SPF HELP problems.

Frank

Re: Re: Re: SPF and Google Groups (sending on behalf of) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 04:51:12PM +0200, Frank Ellermann wrote:

> But it clearly was not

Clearly it isn't as clear as you say it is.

I repeat:

SPF does not do anything with headers, with return-path being
the one and only possible exception.

If an implementation does do anything else with headers, it is doing
so because is doesn't know any better. And that is because there is
this other protocol, not SPF, which does look at headers.

> The user who asked the question has likely never before
> heard of SenderID. Apart from being rude it makes no
> sense to send users to "SenderID help" (if that exists)
> if their problem is a broken SPF implementation.

1: It is not a broken SPF implementation. It is a broken SenderID
implementation.

2: There's nothing rude about saying: 'Your SPF record is just fine.
The problem has nothing to do with SPF, eventhough the error message
says so. Please turn to the receiver or to microsoft.' Especially
not if accompanied by some links, e.g. to http://www.openspf.org/SPF_vs_Sender_ID

Anyway, I have made my point and will not continue this conversation.

Re: Re: Re: SPF and Google Groups (sending on behalf of) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 17:09:53 +0200 Alex van den Bogaerdt
<alex@ergens.op.het.net> wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 04:51:12PM +0200, Frank Ellermann wrote:
>
>> But it clearly was not
>
>Clearly it isn't as clear as you say it is.
>
>I repeat:
>
>SPF does not do anything with headers, with return-path being
>the one and only possible exception.
>
>If an implementation does do anything else with headers, it is doing
>so because is doesn't know any better. And that is because there is
>this other protocol, not SPF, which does look at headers.
>
>> The user who asked the question has likely never before
>> heard of SenderID. Apart from being rude it makes no
>> sense to send users to "SenderID help" (if that exists)
>> if their problem is a broken SPF implementation.
>
>1: It is not a broken SPF implementation. It is a broken SenderID
>implementation.

Not everything that misuses SPF records is SenderID. There is a Mozilla
Thunderbird plugin that does SPF checks against From that predates the
existance of SenderID.

Scott K

Re: Re: Re: SPF and Google Groups (sending on behalf of) [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 11:22:29AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> Not everything that misuses SPF records is SenderID. There is a Mozilla
> Thunderbird plugin that does SPF checks against From that predates the
> existance of SenderID.

This is new to me. If such cases do occur more often, I think it should
be mentioned on the website (or is it already?)

If such plugins are common in the field, I have to adjust my conclusion.
In such a case, point to the receiver only, not to SenderId. Most of my
rant is still valid in that case. It is _not_ SPF.

If OTOH such plugins (which do not seem to be used in this particular
case by the way) have existed in the past, were rare then and even rarer
now, they are the exception to the rule and I stand by my original thoughts.

In either case: I feel we should draw a line. The SPF policy is good? The
sending host is authorized? Then it is not an SPF problem. I'm willing
to appreciate the need to point people to that well known bandaid (adding
a "Sender" header) although I think that's already dubious.

Alex

Re: Re: Re: SPF and Google Groups (sending on behalf of) [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 20 July 2008 11:48, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 11:22:29AM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > Not everything that misuses SPF records is SenderID. There is a Mozilla
> > Thunderbird plugin that does SPF checks against From that predates the
> > existance of SenderID.
>
> This is new to me. If such cases do occur more often, I think it should
> be mentioned on the website (or is it already?)

http://razor.occams.info/code/spf/

Already mentioned on http://www.openspf.org/Implementations

Note that his site says, "The extension uses Sender Policy Framework (SPF) (in
a nonstandard way) ...". It didn't mention the non-standard part before I
discussed it with him.

> If such plugins are common in the field, I have to adjust my conclusion.
> In such a case, point to the receiver only, not to SenderId. Most of my
> rant is still valid in that case. It is _not_ SPF.

Agreed that its' not SPF. I've seen fewer issues related to this is recent
years. I don't know if it's less used, working better, or his user base
understands its limitations better.

> If OTOH such plugins (which do not seem to be used in this particular
> case by the way) have existed in the past, were rare then and even rarer
> now, they are the exception to the rule and I stand by my original
> thoughts.
>

> In either case: I feel we should draw a line. The SPF policy is good? The
> sending host is authorized? Then it is not an SPF problem. I'm willing
> to appreciate the need to point people to that well known bandaid (adding
> a "Sender" header) although I think that's already dubious.

Agreed.

Scott K

Re: SPF and Google Groups (sending on behalf of) [ In reply to ]
Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> In either case: I feel we should draw a line. The SPF
> policy is good? The sending host is authorized? Then
> it is not an SPF problem.

Alex, the users don't care *whose fault* it is when they
have a question, they want to know what is wrong. That
user actually wasn't sure if something is wrong, or if
this might be a problem on the side of googlegroups.com
or the original sender.

Analyzing header fields was not his profession or hobby,
otherwise he could have answered his own question. If
you tell him "go away, this is a SenderID PRA problem,
ask the SenderID folks why they use X-Sender" it misses
his points - besides SenderID folks would tell him that
this is bullshit.

I can't tell if "SenderID folks" talking with ordinary
users exist, and it's perfectly understandable that you
don't like to deal with SenderID issues. Like I don't
deal with confidential help requests using "topic: the
SPF Web site", about one per week. I've reported that
the contact form doesn't do what the source code says,
I've tried to approve SPF questions on the Webmaster
list, and got pushback for that. Now I mostly ignore
help requests with "topic: SPF Web site", confidential
or otherwise. See, I also draw a line, it is just not
exactly the same line as your line.

> I'm willing to appreciate the need to point people to
> that well known bandaid (adding a "Sender" header)
> although I think that's already dubious.

Yes, it is dubious. IMO it deserves a clear hint whose
fault that is, even if users don't care whose fault it
is or was. At least they should know that it is not an
SPF problem. Nevertheless it is their problem with SPF,
they are not talking about spf2.0/pra and its variants,
nobody including the SenderID wizard uses that.

Frank