Mailing List Archive

SPF Implementation issues
Can I get a test case added to the SPF test suite that deals with the
problematic situation in my SPF record.

In particular I have the following piece:

-exists:%{i}.%{l1r-}.user.%{d}

In practice the %{l1r-} causes problems for some implementations -- I
can see from my DNS logs that they map a local part of 'philip' into
'hilip'. This is wrong. [.This piece of SPF is actually quite effective
at eliminating spammers who guess incorrect userids in my domain]

This bug exists at at least two distinct sites (both of which are mail
forwarding sites handling personal domains) so I suspect that there is a
common implementation with this as a defect.

Thanks

Philip

Re: SPF Implementation issues [ In reply to ]

Re: Re: SPF Implementation issues [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 06 December 2007 06:44, Julian Mehnle wrote:
> Philip Gladstone wrote:
> > Can I get a test case added to the SPF test suite that deals with the
> > problematic situation in my SPF record.
> >
> > In particular I have the following piece:
> >
> > -exists:%{i}.%{l1r-}.user.%{d}
> >
> > In practice the %{l1r-} causes problems for some implementations -- I
> > can see from my DNS logs that they map a local part of 'philip' into
> > 'hilip'. This is wrong. [.This piece of SPF is actually quite effective
> > at eliminating spammers who guess incorrect userids in my domain]
> >
> > This bug exists at at least two distinct sites (both of which are mail
> > forwarding sites handling personal domains) so I suspect that there is
> > a common implementation with this as a defect.
>
> We can add a test case to the test suite easily, however trying to
> identify the MTA software running on those broken sites may of more
> immediate use. Maybe we can guess the SPF implementations used by them
> and try to get them fixed directly?
>
> What MTAs are they running? Does their SMTP signature (e.g. the welcome
> message) give any hints?

I do find that Philip's record is a good one for catching implementation
errors. When I first implemented my web validator in 2005, Philip pointed me
at issues in his record (including IIRC this macro expansion) that resulted
in me fixing a number of things in pyspf.

Scott K

Re: Re: SPF Implementation issues [ In reply to ]
One of the sites is godaddy's hosting service:

I get the following interaction:

nc 64.202.166.12 25
220 pre-smtp31-01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net ESMTP
help
214-qmail home page: http://pobox.com/~djb/qmail.html
214 qmail-ldap patch home page: http://www.nrg4u.com
MAIL FROM: <philip@gladstonefamily.net>
554 refused mailfrom because of SPF policy
quit
221 pre-smtp31-01.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net Goodbye.

This implies it must be some sort of SPF patch into qmail. The actual
record that it tries to lookup is:

140.177.205.131.hilip.user.spf.gladstonefamily.net

The other site is

nc 212.53.64.82 25
220 coumta55.netbenefit.co.uk ESMTP ready at Thu, 06 Dec 2007 21:05:30 +0000
HELP
214-Commands supported:
214 AUTH HELO EHLO MAIL RCPT DATA NOOP QUIT RSET HELP
MAIL FROM: <philip@gladstonefamily.net>
250 OK
RCPT TO: <test@easily.co.uk>
451 140.177.205.131 - You have been greylisted, please try later
quit
221 coumta55.netbenefit.co.uk closing connection

Unfortunately, I have now been caught by some greylisting process.
However, the original error message was

212.53.64.82 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 "Mail from gladstonefamily.net is denied from host
140.177.205.131 SPF"

I.e. these two systems are two different MTAs (as far as I can tell). I
just tried again and the greylisting timeout let me in, and that system
does not appear to be doing SPF checks at all.

Philip