Rejects purely based on SPF?
I've just "met" the 2nd Swiss provider rejecting emails purely based on
SPF. The first one was back in july, and they switched it off fairly
quickly. The most recent one is looking into exactly what they want to
do about it.

I was just wondering - does anyone have a feeling for how common it is
for a provider to reject emails purely based on an SPF check?

/Per Jessen, Zürich

Re: Rejects purely based on SPF? [ In reply to ]
Per Jessen wrote:
> I've just "met" the 2nd Swiss provider rejecting emails purely based on
> SPF. The first one was back in july, and they switched it off fairly
> quickly. The most recent one is looking into exactly what they want to
> do about it.
>
> I was just wondering - does anyone have a feeling for how common it is
> for a provider to reject emails purely based on an SPF check?

The RFC says that if SPF returns a FAIL result then you may reject the
mail immediately. I have my servers implemented in this way and don't
really see any problem with this. Its not breaking any previous system
or standard and all the mail I'm rejecting is either a forgery or a
result of a mis-configured SPF record that was explicitly created.

If they are rejecting based on a SOFTFAIL, NEUTRAL or implicit (best
guess) SPF result then they are in error. These results can only be used
in conjunction with some other spam scoring metric otherwise it violates
the RFC.

Graham

--
Graham Beneke