Mailing List Archive

Postfix policy daemon woes (perl)
Seen after Debian package upgrade perl-modules 5.8.8-7 -> 5.8.8-8:

Sep 17 08:25:26 HHH postfix/spawn[27585]: warning: command
/usr/bin/perl exit status 2
Sep 17 08:25:26 HHH postfix/smtpd[25653]: warning: premature
end-of-input on private/policy-spf while reading input attribute name
Sep 17 08:25:27 HHH postfix/smtpd[25653]: warning: problem talking to
server private/policy-spf: Connection reset by peer
Sep 17 08:25:27 HHH postfix/smtpd[25653]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
REDACTED: 451 4.3.5 Server configuration problem; from=<REDACTED>
to=<REDACTED> proto=SMTP helo=<REDACTED>

Any suggestions other than to revert the perl-modules package?

(Or do the use the Python policy daemon instead.)

jam

Re: Postfix policy daemon woes (perl) [ In reply to ]
On Monday 17 September 2007 11:53, John A. Martin wrote:
> Seen after Debian package upgrade perl-modules 5.8.8-7 -> 5.8.8-8:
>
> Sep 17 08:25:26 HHH postfix/spawn[27585]: warning: command
> /usr/bin/perl exit status 2
> Sep 17 08:25:26 HHH postfix/smtpd[25653]: warning: premature
> end-of-input on private/policy-spf while reading input attribute name
> Sep 17 08:25:27 HHH postfix/smtpd[25653]: warning: problem talking to
> server private/policy-spf: Connection reset by peer
> Sep 17 08:25:27 HHH postfix/smtpd[25653]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
> REDACTED: 451 4.3.5 Server configuration problem; from=<REDACTED>
> to=<REDACTED> proto=SMTP helo=<REDACTED>
>
> Any suggestions other than to revert the perl-modules package?
>
> (Or do the use the Python policy daemon instead.)
>
> jam

I'm not sure what to tell you. Ubuntu is still based on -7, so I'm not really
in a position to troubleshoot this. Looking at the debian/changelog the only
thing that looks suspicious is the bump to GCC 4.2 (i.e. something is broken
in Perl), although it looks like the Ubuntu -7 is built against GCC 4.2.

The Python policy server is more feature complete at this point and so might
be worth a try. The current release allows you to call it more than once
with different config files to do separate HELO/Mail From checks with a
header prepended for each. The next update I'm working on will support
returning a bare SPF result that should support without any source hacking
your restriction class processing.

Scott K

Re: Postfix policy daemon woes (perl) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> The Python policy server is more feature complete at this point and so might
> be worth a try. The current release allows you to call it more than once
> with different config files to do separate HELO/Mail From checks with a
> header prepended for each. The next update I'm working on will support
> returning a bare SPF result that should support without any source hacking
> your restriction class processing.

Any TDA? This is what is keeping me from really using it.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@zenez.com>

Re: Postfix policy daemon woes (perl) [ In reply to ]
On Monday 17 September 2007 15:57, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > The Python policy server is more feature complete at this point and so
> > might be worth a try. The current release allows you to call it more
> > than once with different config files to do separate HELO/Mail From
> > checks with a header prepended for each. The next update I'm working on
> > will support returning a bare SPF result that should support without any
> > source hacking your restriction class processing.
>
> Any TDA? This is what is keeping me from really using it.

Since you asked:

http://www.openspf.org/svn/software/postfix-policyd-spf-python/trunk/

should have what you need. Documentation is up to date with the
implementation. Warning, this is absolutely untested beyond "it doesn't
immediately crash". Feedback to spf-devel please.

Scott K

Re: Postfix policy daemon woes (perl) [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 18 September 2007 02:48, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Monday 17 September 2007 15:57, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> > On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > > The Python policy server is more feature complete at this point and so
> > > might be worth a try. The current release allows you to call it more
> > > than once with different config files to do separate HELO/Mail From
> > > checks with a header prepended for each. The next update I'm working
> > > on will support returning a bare SPF result that should support without
> > > any source hacking your restriction class processing.
> >
> > Any TDA? This is what is keeping me from really using it.
>
> Since you asked:
>
> http://www.openspf.org/svn/software/postfix-policyd-spf-python/trunk/
>
> should have what you need. Documentation is up to date with the
> implementation. Warning, this is absolutely untested beyond "it doesn't
> immediately crash". Feedback to spf-devel please.

I believe that this pretty much works now. I'd appreciate it if you would
pull from svn trunk and see if that does what you need. I'm getting close to
doing a release now.

Scott K

Re: Postfix policy daemon woes (perl) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 September 2007 02:48, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > > Any TDA? This is what is keeping me from really using it.
> > Since you asked:
> >
> > http://www.openspf.org/svn/software/postfix-policyd-spf-python/trunk/
> >
> > should have what you need. Documentation is up to date with the
> > implementation. Warning, this is absolutely untested beyond "it doesn't
> > immediately crash". Feedback to spf-devel please.
> >
> I believe that this pretty much works now. I'd appreciate it if you would
> pull from svn trunk and see if that does what you need. I'm getting close to
> doing a release now.

I just did a download of the svn. I hope to test it more tomorrow. It
maybe a couple days before I get it done. I have a job to get done.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@zenez.com>

Re: Postfix policy daemon woes (perl) [ In reply to ]
On Monday 24 September 2007 02:21, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > > http://www.openspf.org/svn/software/postfix-policyd-spf-python/trunk/
> > >
> > > should have what you need. Documentation is up to date with the
> > > implementation. Warning, this is absolutely untested beyond "it
> > > doesn't immediately crash". Feedback to spf-devel please.
> >
> > I believe that this pretty much works now. I'd appreciate it if you
> > would pull from svn trunk and see if that does what you need. I'm
> > getting close to doing a release now.
>
> I just did a download of the svn. I hope to test it more tomorrow. It
> maybe a couple days before I get it done. I have a job to get done.

Any feedback? I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on 0.5.

I'll wait a couple of days and release unless I hear back from you (or anyone
else).

Scott K

Re: Postfix policy daemon woes (perl) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Monday 24 September 2007 02:21, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> > > I believe that this pretty much works now. I'd appreciate it if you
> > > would pull from svn trunk and see if that does what you need. I'm
> > > getting close to doing a release now.
> > I just did a download of the svn. I hope to test it more tomorrow. It
> > maybe a couple days before I get it done. I have a job to get done.
>
> Any feedback? I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on 0.5.
>
> I'll wait a couple of days and release unless I hear back from you (or anyone
> else).

So far no problems. I think you should release it.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@zenez.com>

Re: Postfix policy daemon woes (perl) [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> Any feedback? I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on 0.5.
>
> I'll wait a couple of days and release unless I hear back from you (or anyone
> else).

Here is an updated spec file.

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb@zenez.com>
Re: Postfix policy daemon woes (perl) [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 03 October 2007 13:20, Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > Any feedback? I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on 0.5.
> >
> > I'll wait a couple of days and release unless I hear back from you (or
> > anyone else).
>
> Here is an updated spec file.

Perfect timing. I was just about to roll the tarball for the release. I'll
include this.

Thanks,

Scott K