Mailing List Archive

IPv6 Notation Question...
The ABNF for SPF (http://www.openspf.org/RFC_4408#abnf) inlcudes:

ip6-network = <as per [RFC 3513], section 2.2>
; e.g., 2001:DB8::CD30

This is RFC 3513 section 2.2 (page break removed):

2.2 Text Representation of Addresses

There are three conventional forms for representing IPv6 addresses as
text strings:

1. The preferred form is x:x:x:x:x:x:x:x, where the 'x's are the
hexadecimal values of the eight 16-bit pieces of the address.

Examples:

FEDC:BA98:7654:3210:FEDC:BA98:7654:3210

1080:0:0:0:8:800:200C:417A

Note that it is not necessary to write the leading zeros in an
individual field, but there must be at least one numeral in every
field (except for the case described in 2.).

2. Due to some methods of allocating certain styles of IPv6
addresses, it will be common for addresses to contain long strings
of zero bits. In order to make writing addresses containing zero
bits easier a special syntax is available to compress the zeros.
The use of "::" indicates one or more groups of 16 bits of zeros.
The "::" can only appear once in an address. The "::" can also be
used to compress leading or trailing zeros in an address.

For example, the following addresses:

1080:0:0:0:8:800:200C:417A a unicast address
FF01:0:0:0:0:0:0:101 a multicast address
0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 the loopback address
0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 the unspecified addresses

may be represented as:

1080::8:800:200C:417A a unicast address
FF01::101 a multicast address
::1 the loopback address
:: the unspecified addresses

Looking at this, it provides two forms for each address. I think that the SPF
RFC wants the long form (i.e. 1080:0:0:0:8:800:200C:417A) and not the short
form, but because the 3513 reference includes both styles and the ABNF
example is just an example (e.g.), the short form does not appear to be
excluded.

So, if I wanted an ip6 mechanism for the loopback address, it could be either:

ip6:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

or

ip6:::1

Is that what was intended? I'm guessing not and it's another erratum that's
fixed by changing "as per [RFC 3513], section 2.2" to "as per [RFC 3513],
section 2.2.1".

Comments?

Scott K

-------
Re: IPv6 Notation Question... [ In reply to ]
Scott Kitterman <scott@kitterman.com> writes:

> Is that what was intended? I'm guessing not and it's another erratum that's
> fixed by changing "as per [RFC 3513], section 2.2" to "as per [RFC 3513],
> section 2.2.1".
>
> Comments?

As one who currently uses IPv6 addresses, Both my personal and works
domain have SPF records using the abbreviated form of IPv6 address and
these are correctly handled by both libspf2 and Mail::SPF, I do not
know about other implementations. As far as I am aware, all IPv6
text-to-numeric conversion functions handle both long and short forms.

-------
Re: IPv6 Notation Question... [ In reply to ]

-------
Re: Re: IPv6 Notation Question... [ In reply to ]
OK. Thanks for the input.

Scott K

-------
Re: IPv6 Notation Question... [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Graham Murray wrote:

> Scott Kitterman <scott@kitterman.com> writes:
>
>> Is that what was intended? I'm guessing not and it's another erratum that's
>> fixed by changing "as per [RFC 3513], section 2.2" to "as per [RFC 3513],
>> section 2.2.1".
>>
>> Comments?
>
> As one who currently uses IPv6 addresses, Both my personal and works
> domain have SPF records using the abbreviated form of IPv6 address and
> these are correctly handled by both libspf2 and Mail::SPF, I do not
> know about other implementations. As far as I am aware, all IPv6
> text-to-numeric conversion functions handle both long and short forms.

Yes, they do.

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks

-------
Re: IPv6 Notation Question... [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Scott Kitterman wrote:

> So, if I wanted an ip6 mechanism for the loopback address, it could be either:
>
> ip6:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1
>
> or
>
> ip6:::1
>
> Is that what was intended? I'm guessing not and it's another erratum that's

That is what was intended. What possible problem is there with it? Why
would we want to make SPF records longer?

There are, in fact, multiple ways of writing an IPv6 address. For instance,
the above could also be written as:

ip6:::0:1
ip6:::0:0:1
ip6:::0:0:0:1
ip6:::0:0:0:0:1
Not to mention:
ip6:0::1
ip6:0:0::1
ip6:0:0:0::1

Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@bmsi.com>

-------
Re: IPv6 Notation Question... [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 22 February 2007 11:59, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > So, if I wanted an ip6 mechanism for the loopback address, it could be
> > either:
> >
> > ip6:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1
> >
> > or
> >
> > ip6:::1
> >
> > Is that what was intended? I'm guessing not and it's another erratum
> > that's
>
> That is what was intended. What possible problem is there with it? Why
> would we want to make SPF records longer?

Just me being confused late at night. Nevermind....

Scott K

-------