Mailing List Archive

Timeout patch for Mail::SPF::Query
Hi guys

We tried a couple of months ago to implement SPF checking at The
University of Western Australia's network boundary. We run postfix,
so I installed the SPF policy daemon and gave it a go.

We encountered a problem with timeouts - Mail::SPF::Query when
pointed at a domain with non-working DNS servers (for an example,
try 'missing.angrygoats.net') will not return for quite a while.
In the meantime, postfix would decide that the policy daemon
was unresponsive and return a soft error to the client trying to
send email.

The attached patch adds a timeout feature to Mail::SPF::Query.
Just set the timeout to a number of seconds when creating a
class instance. This seems to work well with the policy daemon.

Can this patch be merged into the default sources? I'd value
any feedback.

Cheers
Grahame

-------