In the 111.spf1-test.mailzone.com policy record, there is an unsupported mechanism "gpg", which the tests seem to indicate only triggers a problem when it gets to processing the mechanism, however in the 112.spf1-test.mailzone.com policy, there is a mechanism "mp3" which seems to cause the tests to fail regardless of position of the mechanism.

My question; Should clients parse the entire record for syntax errors before policy processing commences, or should they do it as they process the record.

There was a conversation thread in the archives about complete processing of the policy (which seemed to be in reference to when to get redirect/exp modifiers out).

Wayne postulated that an SPF syntax error should be caught regardless of the position in the record (which makes sense and I agree with), but this does not seem possible with the records & tests for the subdomains 111 & 112.

Comments?
-Gary

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: More test questions... [ In reply to ]
Hi Gary,

From previous conversations with wayne regarding that mp3 112 record,

>The SPF spec does not allow numbers in the mechanisms (which is
>strange, since ip4: and ip6: are valid). The only valid characters
>are ALPHA. Hence, mp3 is not an unknown mechanism, but a syntax
>error.
>I believe in the most resent draft, Meng has taken my suggestion to
>allow numbers, dashes, underscores and dots. If so, I'll change this
>from "mp3" to something like "hi!".

Now looking at the current draft we have :
mechanism = name [ ":" macro-string ] *[ '/' *DIGIT ]
name = alpha *( alpha / digit / "-" / "_" / "." )

So I guess that mp3 should now be valid a valid mechanism name and this
particular test result should act in the same way as 111 (gpg).

Cheers
Roger Fullerton

Gary Levell wrote:

>In the 111.spf1-test.mailzone.com policy record, there is an unsupported mechanism "gpg", which the tests seem to indicate only triggers a problem when it gets to processing the mechanism, however in the 112.spf1-test.mailzone.com policy, there is a mechanism "mp3" which seems to cause the tests to fail regardless of position of the mechanism.
>
>My question; Should clients parse the entire record for syntax errors before policy processing commences, or should they do it as they process the record.
>
>There was a conversation thread in the archives about complete processing of the policy (which seemed to be in reference to when to get redirect/exp modifiers out).
>
>Wayne postulated that an SPF syntax error should be caught regardless of the position in the record (which makes sense and I agree with), but this does not seem possible with the records & tests for the subdomains 111 & 112.
>
>Comments?
>-Gary
>
>-------
>To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your subscription,
>please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com

Disclaimer

The information contained in this communication is confidential and may be
legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it. If you
are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying, distribution or taking action in reliance of the contents of this
information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
RE: More test questions... [ In reply to ]
In which case I'll modify the expected results in the tests to reflect the new behaviour. I'll do this in such as way that the results will apply only to my implementation and then if/when the other implementations behave in this fashion, then the generic results can be updated.

Thanks!

Re: More test questions... [ In reply to ]
In <40D6C46F.1000304@mimecast.net> Roger Fullerton <rjf@mimecast.net> writes:

> From previous conversations with wayne regarding that mp3 112 record,
>
> So I guess that mp3 should now be valid a valid mechanism name and
> this particular test result should act in the same way as 111 (gpg).

Yes, but I will try to change this test in the future to create a new
syntax error.

-wayne

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com