Mailing List Archive

ANNOUNCE sendmail-milter-spf version 1.41
I am glad to announce a new release of spf-milter:

sendmail-milter-spf-1.41

This point release features but one major addition: the use of a
whitelist. Many folks have written me, asking for a way to whitelist
IP/network addresses. Especially in environments with secondaries,
tertiaries, "pass-through" mailers. etc., this new feature may prove
welcome.

* New feature: in response to popular demand, spf-milter now supports the
use of a whitelist, consisting of individual IP addresses, and/or IP
netblocks expressed in CIDR notation. Connections from IP addresses in
the whitelist are exempted from SPF-checks, and are treated as
authenticated.

The whitelist is OPTIONAL. It does not need to exist. But if it does,
each and every line needs to contain a valid entry (IP address, or
network address in proper CIDR notation). Commentary/empty lines are
allowed. Valid entries, for example, are:

127.0.0.1 # my local machine.
192.168.64.0/24
10.0.0.0/8
192.68.1.0-192.68.1.255
192.68.0.0/16

* Behavioral change: also on request, in "mx" mode, we now log the
recipient as well. REJECT, in envrcpt_callback, will now look like
this:

"reject=550 5.7.1 [RCPT TO: <recipient>] Please see ..."

* Bug fix: poorly escaped % characters caused double-escaping at times.

I also added a new section to the "sendmail-milter-INSTALL.txt" doc:

"5. WHITELISTING"

Which explains how to use the whitelist function.

I also cleaned up the code a bit, here and there; but most of those changes
were cosmetic.

Cheers,

- Mark

System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,
we wouldn't call it code." - FedEx

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: ANNOUNCE sendmail-milter-spf version 1.41 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 05:43:01AM +0000, Mark wrote:

| * New feature: in response to popular demand, spf-milter now supports the
| use of a whitelist, consisting of individual IP addresses, and/or IP
| netblocks expressed in CIDR notation. Connections from IP addresses in
| the whitelist are exempted from SPF-checks, and are treated as
| authenticated.
|
| The whitelist is OPTIONAL. It does not need to exist. But if it does,
| each and every line needs to contain a valid entry (IP address, or
| network address in proper CIDR notation). Commentary/empty lines are
| allowed. Valid entries, for example, are:
|
| 127.0.0.1 # my local machine.
| 192.168.64.0/24
| 10.0.0.0/8
| 192.68.1.0-192.68.1.255
| 192.68.0.0/16

Wouldn't it be easier to pass a "local" argument through to
Mail::SPF::Query?

On that note it might be useful to pass "fallback" and "override" too.

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: ANNOUNCE sendmail-milter-spf version 1.41 [ In reply to ]
In <20040427060334.GL5369@dumbo.pobox.com> Meng Weng Wong <mengwong@dumbo.pobox.com> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 05:43:01AM +0000, Mark wrote:
> |
> | * New feature: in response to popular demand, spf-milter now supports the
> | use of a whitelist, [...]
> |
> | 127.0.0.1 # my local machine.
> | 192.168.64.0/24
> | 10.0.0.0/8
> | 192.68.1.0-192.68.1.255
> | 192.68.0.0/16
> |

> Wouldn't it be easier to pass a "local" argument through to
> Mail::SPF::Query?

As in local => "ip4:127.0.0.1 ip4:192.168.64.0/24 a:foo.com mx:secondary.tld" ?

-wayne

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: ANNOUNCE sendmail-milter-spf version 1.41 [ In reply to ]
Meng Weng Wong wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 05:43:01AM +0000, Mark wrote:
>>
>> * New feature: in response to popular demand, spf-milter now
>> supports the use of a whitelist, consisting of individual IP
>> addresses, and/or IP netblocks expressed in CIDR notation.
>> Connections from IP addresses in the whitelist are exempted from
>> SPF-checks, and are treated as authenticated.
>>
>> The whitelist is OPTIONAL. It does not need to exist. But if it
>> does, each and every line needs to contain a valid entry (IP
>> address, or network address in proper CIDR notation).
>> Commentary/empty lines are allowed. Valid entries, for example,
>> are:
>>
>> 127.0.0.1 # my local machine.
>> 192.168.64.0/24
>> 10.0.0.0/8
>> 192.68.1.0-192.68.1.255
>> 192.68.0.0/16
>>

> Wouldn't it be easier to pass a "local" argument through to
> Mail::SPF::Query?

Well, people kept nagging me for a whitelist, "indigenous" to spf-milter
itself. I finally caved. :) The command-line options already allowed for
a -l parameter, to pass "local" arguments.