Mailing List Archive

Mail::SPF::Query question: failure mode for trusted=>1?
I was testing the new 1.997 and found this result:

20040426-02:30:00 mengwong@dumbo:~% perl -MMail::SPF::Query -le 'print for Mail::SPF::Query->new(helo=>shift, ipv4=>shift, sender=>shift, trusted=>1)->result' localhost 206.54.156.254 spf@harkless.org
error
Please see http://spf.pobox.com/why.html?sender=spf%40harkless.org&ip=206.54.156.254&receiver=dumbo.pobox.com: DNS error while looking up 254.156.54.206.in-addr.arpa PTR: SERVFAIL
dumbo.pobox.com: encountered temporary error during SPF processing of domain of spf@harkless.org
v=spf1 a mx -all
HASH(0x839eda4)

Now, it's interesting that the "error" result is due to PTR SERVFAIL,
because harkless.org's SPF record doesn't require PTR anywhere.

Then I realized it was because I had trusted=>1.

With trusted=>0, the query returns right away.

20040426-02:32:07 mengwong@dumbo:~% perl -MMail::SPF::Query -le 'print for Mail::SPF::Query->new(helo=>shift, ipv4=>shift, sender=>shift, trusted=>0)->result' localhost 206.54.156.254 spf@harkless.org
fail
Please see http://spf.pobox.com/why.html?sender=spf%40harkless.org&ip=206.54.156.254&receiver=dumbo.pobox.com
dumbo.pobox.com: domain of spf@harkless.org does not designate 206.54.156.254 as permitted sender
v=spf1 a mx -all
HASH(0x838b430)

Is there anything we can do about this? I suppose not.

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Mail::SPF::Query question: failure mode for trusted=>1? [ In reply to ]
In <20040426063516.C63F3607@dumbo.pobox.com> mengwong@dumbo.pobox.com (Meng Weng Wong) writes:

> Now, it's interesting that the "error" result is due to PTR SERVFAIL,
> because harkless.org's SPF record doesn't require PTR anywhere.
>
> Then I realized it was because I had trusted=>1.

If I recall correctly, we had an email exchange something like a month
ago or so about this. At first we thought it was a DNS problem with
the T-FWL itself, but after checking some more, it was determined that
M:S:Q triggers errors when the %{p} macro variable is used.

My suggestion, then and now, is that DNS errors should be ignored on
the ptr: and %{p} variable.

-wayne

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com