found in a single TXT record?

Thanks,
Daryl Odnert
Tumbleweed Communications
Redwood City, California
daryl.odnert@tumbleweed.com

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: SPF and DNS TXT RR Handling [ In reply to ]
In <7382FCA44E27D411BD4A00508BD68F950AE30F71@pigeon.tumbleweed.com> "Daryl Odnert" <daryl.odnert@tumbleweed.com> writes:

> According to RFC 1035, section 3.3.14, a TXT RR may more than one
> <character-string> object. A <character-string> is a single length octet
> followed by that number of characters.

This was news to me before I started dinking with SPF.... Live and
learn I guess.

> Does the SPF standard need to say anything about the publishing/handling of
> TXT RRs that consist of more than one <character-string>?

I don't really think the spec *has* to say anything, but it might be a
good idea to mention it.

> What if a domain
> administrator needs to publish SPF data that cannot fit into a single
> <character-string>. Is it permitted to publish a second <character-string>
> in the same TXT RR?

Yes, it is permitted to have multiple substrings in an SPF record.
Bind will automatically break up long strings into 255 byte
substrings, djbdns will break them up into 127 byte substrings.

Bind will create substrings if you have a TXT record with several
quoted strings, which domain owners might do to break up long SPF
records across several lines in the zone file. I'm not sure if dbjdns
can explicitly create substrings.

> Must an SPF client implementation concatenate all of the <character-strings>
> found in a single TXT record?

Yes.

-wayne

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
RE: SPF and DNS TXT RR Handling [ In reply to ]
> > Must an SPF client implementation concatenate all of the
<character-strings>
> > found in a single TXT record?
>
> Yes.

If it is a requirement that client implementations do this, it should be
made explicit in the specification.

Daryl

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com