Mailing List Archive

Polishing Mail::SPF::Query

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]
On 11/28/2005 20:11, Julian Mehnle wrote:
> [.Please follow up to spf-devel unless you want to discuss related but
> non-devel issues.]
>
> Hi all,
>
> Meng sent me his Mail::SPF::Query CVS repository. I turned it into a
> Subversion repo[1,2] and imported all the past M:S:Q releases from
> CPAN[3].
>
> Now that this has been done, we can start polishing M:S:Q. I think there
> should be at least one more release, 1.998, and possibly a final 1.999.
> After that, Mail::SPF[4] should take over in M:S:Q's place.
>
> So the current M:S:Q trunk[5,6] is where we can pick up Meng's work. I
> have already made some changes from 1.997 (rev 107:110):
>
> trunk/Query.pm
> * `local`ized $@ when `eval`ing to satisfy SpamAssassin (closes Debian
> bugs #332952, #337319, #337500).
> * Minor updates to POD docs.
>
> trunk/spfd
> * Pass "trusted" and "local" arguments to Mail::SPF::Query.
>
> trunk/spfquery
> * Exit with code 0 and don't print usage hint on '-v' (closes Debian bug
> #237751).
>
> trunk/README
> * Updated version, result codes descriptions, copyright, etc.
>
> trunk/Changes
> * Renamed to "CHANGES" for consistency with other doc files.
> * Cleaned up.
>
> If you know of any serious-impact or easy-to-fix bugs, please post them to
> spf-devel soon! Patches are especially welcome.
>
> Julian.

> 2. http://www.openspf.org/source/mail-spf-query-perl
> 3. http://search.cpan.org/dist/Mail-SPF-Query
> 4. http://search.cpan.org/dist/Mail-SPF
> 5. http://www.openspf.org/svn/mail-spf-query-perl/trunk
> 6. http://www.openspf.org/source/mail-spf-query-perl/trunk
> 7. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=libmail-spf-query-perl

Are you going to bring in Craig Whitmore's updates too?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/spf/discuss/24938

Scott K

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]
Most of my updates are due to it parsing SPF records incorrectly (passing
when should be permerror etc)

Thanks
Craig

Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]
In <200511291306.24383.julian@mehnle.net> Julian Mehnle <julian@mehnle.net> writes:

> Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> Julian Mehnle wrote:
>> > I guess the real question is, what would removing C-ID support from
>> > the next (and probably last, forever) release of M:S:Q _gain_ us, or
>> > anyone else for that matter?
>>
>> No. Since I don't know of any more C-ID records, there doesn't seem to
>> be much to break. In my view obsolete cruft should be excised.
>
> Hmm. I'll look at how easily C-ID support can be removed.
>
> The issue is, if this is to be the very last release of M:S:Q, we MUST NOT
> fuck it up. Thus non-trivial changes should be considered thoroughly.

I think that the C-ID abuse should be removed.

As pointed out above, you aren't going to break much since there
aren't many C-ID records.

In my opinion, and why I never added it to libspf2, is that the abuse
of C-ID records, which are designed for the 2822.From: context, for
the 2821.MAILFROM context doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I can't recall ever seeing a request for C-ID re-use for libspf2.

-wayne

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]
On 11/29/2005 19:44, Julian Mehnle wrote:
> Arjen de Korte <arjen@de-korte.org> wrote:
> > Julian,
> >
> > Find attached a unified diff which will
> >
> > 1) Replace all instances of 'spf.pobox.com' with 'www.openspf.org'.
> > 2) Removes all (?) CallerID code.
> >
> > I used revision 109 from the repository.
>
> Excellent, thank you!
>
> As far as I can see, you got all of the C-ID stuff. I applied your patch
> and some additional changes:
>
> http://www.openspf.org/source/mail-spf-query-perl?rev=111&view=rev
>
> I'll wait a few more days before releasing 1.998 to CPAN and to the
> website, just in case some additional issues crop up.

Craig Whitmore put a lot of effort into his updates (and IIRC they were the
reason you asked Meng for CPAN access in the first place) in order to make
sure M:S:Q matched the current internet draft ABNF for what was and was not a
valid record. We worked through a lot of scenarios to see that both M:S:Q
and pySPF were correct in this regard over the summer.

There was a period where there were more visits from NZ than everywhere else
combined to my validator because he was running tests against both libraries
to be sure.

I would like to strongly encourage you to include those changes in an upcoming
M:S:Q release. If not this one (I can understand wanting to keep your first
one modest), then one soon after. His changes significantly improve the
correctness of M:S:Q significantly WRT the current ABNF.

Scott K

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]
My Changes included (not not limited to)

Checking for a: with numbers
Check for more than 10 DNS Queries
Checking for anything after all
Checking for mx with a valud FQDN
Checking for valid ip4:
Check for people trying to use v=spf2.0/mfrom spf2.0/pra (not really
needed)

Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]
Craig Whitmore wrote:

> Checking for anything after all

AFAIK that isn't illegal, or is it ? If you have different
modes of operation ("validation" vs. "check") it could be a
"warning" for "validation": Anything behind "all" that's
not a modifier (like "exp=...") is utter dubious.

Additionally a record with both "all" and "redirect=..."
is dubious, even if "redirect=..." comes before "all".

Another dubious case would be records with neither "all"
nor "redirect=...", but AFAIK that's all "legal" (i.e. no
PermError or TempError in actual checks). Syntactically
you can have "v=spf1 +all -all" like say "v=spf1 +a -a"
or similar crap.

One unresolved issues is .../0 , Wayne proposed to kill it.

OTOH there's just an IETF last call for a kind of 1519bis:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-grow-rfc1519bis#page-7

So generally .../0 isn't illegal, only for our purposes
it's almost useless, we have "all". But maybe something
like "ip6:0::0/0" could make sense (?).

Bye, Frank

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]
Julian Mehnle schreef:

> No hard cutoff date. I'll wait for your patch, provided it doesn't take
> too long.

Find attached a patch. Besides renaming 'mydomain.com' (and other
example domain names) to 'example.com', it also modifies the MANIFEST to
reflect renaming 'Changes' to 'CHANGES'.

Regards,
Arjen

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]
The following patch (from revision 115) is incomplete as it is:

trunk/Query.pm
* Change local machine hostname macro from "xr" to "r" (closes rt.debian.org

It fails to change two instances of "xr" to "r" which causes that the
default explanation string is now broken (the hostname macro is not
expanded). The attached patch fixes this, as well as one line of dead
code from my earlier patch to remove C-ID.

Arjen

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]
I don't know if someone is working on the following TODO already, but do
we really want to fix this in M:S:Q?

* Add support for doing HELO tests before MAIL FROM tests.

My feeling is that this will require drastic changes to the internals of
M:S:Q and we don't want to spend too much effort here (with regard to the
fact that we intend it to be replaced in the not so distant future by
Mail::SPF). Also, we don't want 'local', 'fallback' and 'override'
mechanisms, nor 'trusted' and 'guess' processing for the HELO tests. Even
if we do, they may be different from the ones used in MAIL FROM tests. At
least, that is how I feel about it, since only the operator of a system
can tell if that system is allowed to send mail.

Basically we will only use SPF fail to reject in a HELO test, in all other
(?) cases, we want MAIL FROM to be tested. It is a horrible kludge, but is
calling M:S:Q twice (first with a 'null' sender address and then with the
real sender address) not an option here? M:S:Q will be forced to perform a
HELO test in the first case as far as I can see. This would require
minimal changes to the sample implementations only (and some explanation
why to do it like this in the documentation).

Arjen

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]
> When M:S:Q was developed, the only time HELO was checked was for a null
> Mail From <>. I think that changing that would risk breakage that
> shouldn't be done with M:S:Q at this stage.

This is what my proposal is about. I'm suggesting to leave M:S:Q as it is
and do the HELO testing by calling it with a sender address that is
deliberately set to the null '<>' sender. This shouldn't break anything,
since this is what happens now already. I will post a patch for
'postfix-policyd-spf' later today to show what I mean.

Regards, Arjen

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 11:09:38 +0100 (CET) "Arjen de Korte"
<spf+devel@de-korte.org> wrote:
>I don't know if someone is working on the following TODO already, but do
>we really want to fix this in M:S:Q?
>
> * Add support for doing HELO tests before MAIL FROM tests.
>
>My feeling is that this will require drastic changes to the internals of
>M:S:Q and we don't want to spend too much effort here (with regard to the
>fact that we intend it to be replaced in the not so distant future by
>Mail::SPF). Also, we don't want 'local', 'fallback' and 'override'
>mechanisms, nor 'trusted' and 'guess' processing for the HELO tests. Even
>if we do, they may be different from the ones used in MAIL FROM tests. At
>least, that is how I feel about it, since only the operator of a system
>can tell if that system is allowed to send mail.
>
>Basically we will only use SPF fail to reject in a HELO test, in all other
>(?) cases, we want MAIL FROM to be tested. It is a horrible kludge, but is
>calling M:S:Q twice (first with a 'null' sender address and then with the
>real sender address) not an option here? M:S:Q will be forced to perform a
>HELO test in the first case as far as I can see. This would require
>minimal changes to the sample implementations only (and some explanation
>why to do it like this in the documentation).
>
>Arjen

When M:S:Q was developed, the only time HELO was checked was for a null
Mail From <>. I think that changing that would risk breakage that
shouldn't be done with M:S:Q at this stage. I think this should be
deferred to a probably never to happen M:S:Q 2.0 effort.

Scott K

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]
See the attached patch for postfix-policyd-spf to see what I mean with
using the existing Mail::SPF::Query to perform HELO tests. It will first
do a lookup with a 'null' sender address, so that M:S:Q is forced to
fallback to HELO testing. Due to the widespread use of non-compliant
HELO's, only if the result is 'fail', a smtp reject will be returned. In
all other cases (even when errors are encountered), the usual MAIL FROM
testing will be performed. Of course, one could optimize this (for
instance, when there is no sender address to begin with). Since I'm not
that fluent in perl, I didn't include this.

Arjen

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Polishing Mail::SPF::Query [ In reply to ]

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com

1 2  View All