Mailing List Archive

Unclarity in spf draft
Hello

Something is unclear to me regarding the spf draft.
I implemented the draft-schlitt-spf-classic-00.txt but i have found the
same unclarity in 02 also. In the following paragraph:

"SPF implementations MUST limit the number of mechanism that do DNS
lookups to at most 10, if this number is exceeded, a PermError MUST
be returned. The mechanisms that count against this limit are
"include", "a", "mx", "ptr", "exists" and the "redirect" modifier.
The "all", "ip4" and "ip6" mechanisms do not require DNS lookups and
therefore do not count against this limit. The "exp" modifier
requires a DNS lookup, but it is not counted as it is used only in
the case of errors."

So according to this i must limit the total number of dns lookups
regardless the number of spf records from which they are made or the
number of dns lookup mechanisms within a record.

For example if we have:

example1.com IN TXT "v=spf1 a:1.com a:2.com a:3.com a:4.com
include:example2.com -all"

example2.com IN TXT "v=spf1 a:6.com a:7.com a:8.com a:9.com a:10.com
include:example3.com -all"

example3:com IN TXT "v=spf1 +all"

If no a matches, should a PermError be issued because the number of dns
lookups excedes 10?

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com
Re: Unclarity in spf draft [ In reply to ]
Sorin Suciu wrote:

> i must limit the total number of dns lookups regardless the
> number of spf records from which they are made or the
> number of dns lookup mechanisms within a record.

Yes - and because each include / redirect= counts the worst
case of records is 10. Your example is more realistic:

> example1.com IN TXT "v=spf1 a:1.com a:2.com a:3.com a:4.com
> include:example2.com -all"

> example2.com IN TXT "v=spf1 a:6.com a:7.com a:8.com a:9.com
> a:10.com include:example3.com -all"

> example3:com IN TXT "v=spf1 +all"

> If no a matches, should a PermError be issued because the
> number of dns lookups excedes 10?

Yes. Actually you can PermError as soon as you know that the
limit could be exceeded, you're not forced to check A 6 .. 10.

Bye, Frank

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-devel@v2.listbox.com