Mailing List Archive

DJB-Software, Free or Not?
Everyone,

I've moved (or attempted to move) this topic from SPF-DISCUSS into this
forum where it appears its more appropriate.

> From:
> Bashar AlAbdulhadi
> <big@kuwaitnet.net>
> To:
> spf-discuss@v2.listbox.com
> RE: [spf-discuss] re: djbdns is not
> free
> Date:
> Sat, 4 Dec 2004 00:20:02 +0300
> (Fri, 13:20 PST)
> Mailer:
> Microsoft Office Outlook, Build
> 11.0.5510
> Sender:
> owner-spf-discuss@v2.listbox.com
>
> I would agree on some what have been said by driving the topic little far
> than it was originally discussed, BUT
>
> What we need to know is DJBDNS free or not?

It is. There are restrictions as to how it may be packaged. All of the
FUD surrounding DJB Software appears to have originally been started by
Bernard Rosenkraenzer of Red Hat and further perpetuated by Rick Moen
(rick@linuxmafia.com).

Dan has an excellent page up which addresses "Frequently asked questions
from distributors" which I have already linked several times, the
problem is getting people to actually read it, this somehow I blame on
Television. The attention span of most people these days is atrocious..
which is only further compounded by those who reiterate information
which they have not personally researched.

DJB distributors FAQ: http://cr.yp.to/distributors.html

This page answers the questions:

- May we put this package on a CD?
- May we distribute binaries?
- What about test packages?
- Why can't we rename your files?
- We can't distribute software that we're not allowed to modify!
- Rick Moen says you can revoke these permissions by changing your web
page!
- Wait, now Rick Moen says he never said that!

qmail specific distribution guidelines: http://cr.yp.to/qmail/dist.html

This ENTIRE issue honestly appears to be based in ego-land. Dan's rules
are very simple, and so incredibly easy to follow, with multiple paths
if you will, to attempt to distribute, so in the event he can not be
contacted, you still have only 3 simple rules to follow.

What pissed Bernard, Moen, and others appears to be purely rooted within
this issue of 'renaming files and directories'. The distributors wish
to alter the distribution in accordance with their file structure,
however Dan states quite clearly why renaming and relocating is
prohibited here: http://cr.yp.to/compatibility.html

It makes absolute sense. As a software developer myself, its a
nightmare trying to get accurate information when a new bug arrives when
its only happening on certain distros and OSes, and yes I have
personally expensed several hours that I'll never get back helping a
user who if he had only simply installed my software as it was intended,
with the intended names and locations he never would have had any
problems, and even if he did, trouble shooting would have been very
easy.

> Does it fall under GPL or not?

No it does not.

> Would SPF work just fine with it as Bind or not?

It works quite fine with it, however to date I am not aware of anyone
spending the time to port djbdns to Windows.

> People who write HOW-Tos should/shouldn't make 2 version of their howtos one

They do not need to. Integration with a resolver library should not
_NOT_ require an extensive API, it should provide a clean and
transparent set of functions for performing SPF related duties. SPF
does not require low level access to any DNS functions and thus they
should remain opaque to any would be library implementor.

The difference in HOWTO's comes about when dealing with SPF
implementations within differing MTA's. For example you can see the
HOWTO's I have prepared for integrating libSPF within qmail and Sendmail
from http://libSPF.org

More useful information relating to DJB Software:

Precompiled var-qmail packages:
- http://cr.yp.to/qmail/var-qmail.html

Mailinglist for would-be distributors:
- http://cr.yp.to/lists.html#qmaildist

Software user's rights:
- http://cr.yp.to/softwarelaw.html

Placing documents into the public domain:
- http://cr.yp.to/publicdomain.html

That should be enough to get the ball rolling...

Cheers,

James

--
James Couzens,
Programmer
Re: DJB-Software, Free or Not? [ In reply to ]
Quoting James Couzens:

> It is. There are restrictions as to how it may be packaged. All of the
> FUD surrounding DJB Software appears to have originally been started by
> Bernard Rosenkraenzer of Red Hat and further perpetuated by Rick Moen
> (rick@linuxmafia.com).

It is regrettable that I cannot write about software and licensing
without being the subject of ongoing personal attack, but I've come to
expect this of a certain software fan club. And, hey, at least it's
better than being sent legal threats -- but I'll get to that later.

James quotes Prof. Bernstein:

> - Rick Moen says you can revoke these permissions by changing your
> web page!
> - Wait, now Rick Moen says he never said that!

And thus James, like Prof. Bernstein, disposes of my license critique
without correctly characterising it at all. I'll be charitable and
assume that James, _unlike_ Prof. Bernstein, simply misread (or failed
to read) what I wrote. By contrast, I strongly suspect that Prof.
Bernstein was well aware of pulling a fast one in ignoring the substance
of my essay by distracting people's attention, since I've observed him
doing it frequently with other licence critics, since then. That is an
unfortunate habit, as it interferes with clarity about relevant facts.

My essay is at:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=warez#djb

The follow-on essay, which Prof. Bernstein selectively quotes from in an
attempt to assert my dishonesty, merely points out that I had _not_
claimed Bernstein could withdraw his permissions by removing his Web
page, and links to where I had prominently corrected in public people
who had so claimed.

It also points out that this irrelevant digression sadly misses the
point of the antecedent, earlier essay -- almost as if Prof. Bernstein
were trying to evade the point by posting a non-sequitur personal attack
as a diversion. (Gasp! Could it be?)

> This ENTIRE issue honestly appears to be based in ego-land.

Thus illustrating Moen's First Law of Debate
(http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lexicon.html#moenslaw-debate1): "No matter
what the issue, someone will try to turn it into a personality dispute."

No, actually, the entire issue is based in licensing and code.

> What pissed Bernard, Moen, and others appears to be purely rooted
> within this issue of 'renaming files and directories'.

No, actually:

1. Moen isn't pissed off -- although getting a legal threat from Prof.
Bernstein for "libelling" his software, and, when I politely referred
him to my attorney, watching him drop that and switch to character
assassination didn't endear me to the gentleman. All I attempted to do
in my essay was have a URL to refer people to, because I got tired of
repeatedly explaining why I _personally_ don't like or use Prof.
Bernstein's software.

2. Moen is perfectly happy with other people liking that software.
That's entirely their concern.

So, let's dispose of all of the above idiotic and time-wasting
posturing and irrelevant rhetorical side-shows -- which insult
everyone's intelligence, James -- and get back to the point:

>> What we need to know is DJBDNS free or not?

> It is.

The notion of "free" in the software context basically boils down to
access to source code, the legal right to fork it, and the right to
create and redistribute derivative works and use them for any purpose.
(There are details that have cropped up, as clever people have tried to
find ways to apparently grant those rights while denying their
substance, resulting in codifications like the Open Source Definition,
http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php . And copyleft
restrictions within reason are not considered to prevent the software
from being "free".)

One major consequence of software not being "free" in that sense is
that, absent the right to fork, the project dies completely when the
developer retires or loses interest, as nobody else has the legal right
to create and distribute derivative works, and the software becomes in
practic unmaintainable. (Yes, you can continue swap patches of your own
authorship, but that's no way to run a project.)

qmail, like most other of Prof. Bernstein's packages, was distributed
under a very generous licence that, however, lacks the legal right to
fork (to create derivative works and new versions), which is reserved by
default operation of copyright law to the copyright holder.

Thus it is not "free" by all conventional meanings of that term. It is
gratis for usage, and those who like it (which happens not to include
yr. humble correspondent) owe Prof. Bernstein a debt of gratitude.

For their sake, I hope Prof. Bernstein continues to maintain his
proprietary (if free-of-charge) code for a long time -- since,
afterwards, it's doomed to be gradually left behind.

> It makes absolute sense. As a software developer myself, its a
> nightmare trying to get accurate information when a new bug arrives
> when its only happening on certain distros and OSes, and yes I have
> personally expensed several hours that I'll never get back helping a
> user who if he had only simply installed my software as it was
> intended, with the intended names and locations he never would have
> had any problems, and even if he did, trouble shooting would have been
> very easy.

Then, you presumably don't issue code under a free (aka "open source")
licence. It's your perfect right to have those views, exactly as it is
Prof. Bernstein's.

But then your software is not under a free / open-source licence, and
you should get used to people like me saying so, perhaps even on Web
pages. If you make legal threats about our "libelling" your software,
however, please expect to be politely referred to our attorneys and
ignored.

And so, no, it's not free. I'd say I suspect you already knew that,
but that would be uncharitable.

--
Cheers, There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know quaternary,
Rick Moen those who only recently figured out Ron Fabre's "ternary" .sig, those

-------
Re: Re: DJB-Software, Free or Not? [ In reply to ]
Rick,