Mailing List Archive

Deploying SPF

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-deployment@v2.listbox.com
Re: Deploying SPF [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Jonathan Gardner wrote:

> I think it is time to start pushing for everyone to adopt SPF. With AOL's
> announcement that they won't whitelist domains that don't publish by the
> end of the summer, there is major pressure on legitimate senders to publish
> SPF records. We can do the same by backing up AOL and doing the same for
> incoming mail to our servers.
>
> We need to decide on a flag day. I vote for September 22, as it is the first
> day of Autumn in the US, and AOL said "by the end of summer". We would need
> a firm commitment by everyone to start filtering via SPF by that time.
> Those who want to can start giving negative scores to email that doesn't
> come from an SPF publisher.
>
> A message needs to be sent out to everyone who does not publish SPF records.
> How do we identify them all? How do we send them all a message? Any ideas?

I think a "success story" from a large mail receiver will count a lot more
than a message saying "We think you should ..."

What I would really like to see is some stats from large mail receivers (such
as Pobox and AOL)

* Amount of mail coming in from SPF domains
* Breakdown by percent spam/ham
* Amount of mail coming in from non-SPF domains
* Breakdown by percent spam/ham
* Amount of mail from trusted forwarders
* Amount of mail where best-guess results in Pass
* Top 10 mail senders not using SPF

A success story is about the best thing for marketing. That is what we really
want to write our press releases about :)

--
Greg Connor gconnor@nekodojo.org

Everyone says that having power is a great responsibility. This is a lot
of bunk. Responsibility is when someone can blame you if something goes
wrong. When you have power you are surrounded by people whose job it is
to take the blame for your mistakes. If they're smart, that is.
-- Cerebus, "On Governing"

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-deployment@v2.listbox.com
Re: Deploying SPF [ In reply to ]