Mailing List Archive

2822 solutions
On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 10:06:12AM -0400, spf2@kitterman.com wrote:

| For myself, I would find it acceptable if there were an unburdened
| alternative for 2822 (or at least a placeholder for it as a scope). Leave
| it to the market to decide only works if there is a real choice. Currently,
| if one wants to work with the 2822 header, there is no choice, only PRA. If
| there were room for a free alternative in the same domain, then I think a
| lot more people would be ready to move on.

Yahoo DK is aimed at this as well, and it's maturing faster
than you think. GMail is already signing all outbound mail
with DK.

I put these slides together last week. They show how 2821
and 2822 solutions can complement each other.

http://spf.pobox.com/slides/motherzombie/

They are informed by recent thinking in the "Unified SPF"
space, which says "check 'em all, may the first pass win":

http://spf.pobox.com/slides/unified%20spf/0429.html

When I say "pass" I mean a dual-pass, requiring both auth
and receiver-policy to work.

http://spf.pobox.com/slides/tokyo-20040929/1420-authpluspolicy.pdf
http://spf.pobox.com/slides/tokyo-20040929/1455-authpluspolicy.pdf

The 2821 vs 2822 breakdown also agrees with the model shown at

http://spf.pobox.com/slides/crossingbeams/0220.html

cheers
meng

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-deployment@v2.listbox.com
Re: 2822 solutions [ In reply to ]
In <20041026142339.GN6162@dumbo.pobox.com> Meng Weng Wong <mengwong@dumbo.pobox.com> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 10:06:12AM -0400, spf2@kitterman.com wrote:
> |
> | For myself, I would find it acceptable if there were an unburdened
> | alternative for 2822 (or at least a placeholder for it as a scope).
>
> Yahoo DK is aimed at this as well, and it's maturing faster
> than you think. GMail is already signing all outbound mail
> with DK.

Ok, so if you think DK is the way to go for 2822, then why are you
advicing people to support the PRA? Especially since you think the
PRA is a terrible idea?

-wayne

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-deployment@v2.listbox.com
RE: 2822 solutions [ In reply to ]

Or one could use the approach defined in:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-leibzon-responsible-submitter-00.t
xt

as a drop in replacement for PRA without it's associated risks and without
the complexity of cryptographic solutions.

Scott Kitterman

-------
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-deployment@v2.listbox.com