caught by wolves!" - Bilbo Baggins

The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkein
http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/returnoftheking/trailer_large.html
Re: Razor working? [ In reply to ]
codger wrote:

> Is it just me or is Razor not working correctly? I can get a response
> from their servers using the instructions from

Razor's been taking over 10 seconds (the default timeout) to return
results for me lately. I had to up my timeout to 15 seconds, which
seems to do the trick. I can afford to do this since I only process
about 200 messages per hour at my site during peak usage. Most sites
can't afford to wait, though, and have disabled Razor for the time
being. Their servers often become overloaded when a major e-mail virus
(like MyDoom) begins to spread. I'm looking into implementing DCC in
addition to Razor, but I wouldn't call it a very good replacement, since
they detect different types of mail (spam vs. bulk).

Steven
--
Steven Dickenson <steven@mrchuckles.net>
http://www.mrchuckles.net
Re: Razor working? [ In reply to ]
What about, Pyzor? Is that more of an in=house Razor where you track
your own incomgin spam to stop the repeated future abuses or are there
Pyzor servers already to link to? The setup docs don't seem to detail
that much.

On Feb 11, 2004, at 3:04 PM, Steven Dickenson wrote:

> codger wrote:
>
>> Is it just me or is Razor not working correctly? I can get a response
>> from their servers using the instructions from
>
> Razor's been taking over 10 seconds (the default timeout) to return
> results for me lately. I had to up my timeout to 15 seconds, which
> seems to do the trick. I can afford to do this since I only process
> about 200 messages per hour at my site during peak usage. Most sites
> can't afford to wait, though, and have disabled Razor for the time
> being. Their servers often become overloaded when a major e-mail
> virus (like MyDoom) begins to spread. I'm looking into implementing
> DCC in addition to Razor, but I wouldn't call it a very good
> replacement, since they detect different types of mail (spam vs.
> bulk).
>
> Steven
> --
> Steven Dickenson <steven@mrchuckles.net>
> http://www.mrchuckles.net

Kindest regards,

Ron

"What shall we do? What shall we do?" he cried, "Escaping goblins to be

Re: Razor working? [ In reply to ]
On 11 Feb 2004 at 15:04, Steven Dickenson wrote:

> Razor's been taking over 10 seconds (the default timeout) to return
> results for me lately. I had to up my timeout to 15 seconds, which
> seems to do the trick. I can afford to do this since I only process
> about 200 messages per hour at my site during peak usage. Most sites
> can't afford to wait, though, and have disabled Razor for the time
> being.

Steven,

Can you tell me and others what you have to do to reset the timeout
for razor? I'm sure I'm looking right through it but I can't see
that anywhere.

I'm running razor 1.20-1 sitewide (and SA with amavisd-new on Debian
in case that matters).

TIA,

Chris
--
Chris Evans <chris@psyctc.org>
Consultant Psychiatrist in Psychotherapy, Rampton Hospital;
Re: Razor working? [ In reply to ]
At 03:49 PM 2/11/2004, Chris Evans wrote:
>I'm running razor 1.20-1 sitewide (and SA with amavisd-new on Debian
>in case that matters).

Do the Razor 1 servers even still exist? Razor 2 has been out for
something like two years, and I'm pretty sure Razor 1 support in SA 2.6x is
either deprecated or gone.

Kelson Vibber
Re: Razor working? [ In reply to ]
Chris Evans wrote:
> Can you tell me and others what you have to do to reset the timeout
> for razor? I'm sure I'm looking right through it but I can't see
> that anywhere.

razor_timout in local.cf should do the trick. See...

http://www.spamassassin.org/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html

> I'm running razor 1.20-1 sitewide (and SA with amavisd-new on Debian
> in case that matters).

Gah, Razor 1? Upgrade to Razor 2 if you actually want useful scores. I
backported the Razor 2 package from Debian unstable, or you can install
from source. Both are easy to do.

Steven
Re: Razor working? [ In reply to ]
On 11 Feb 2004 at 22:15, Steven Dickenson wrote:

> Gah, Razor 1? Upgrade to Razor 2 if you actually want useful scores.
> I backported the Razor 2 package from Debian unstable, or you can
> install from source. Both are easy to do.

Thanks again Steve but my attempt to install form source fell over
(see separate post) so I'd hugely appreciate it if you or anyone else
would explain to me if there's a good way to set up dselect to use
backports for razor and SA (and pyzor and/or DCC??) but not to use it
for other packages since for security reasons I'd prefer to backport
as little as possible.

Happy to be pointed to a sensible URL that'll tell me but a quick bit
of googling and searching on debian.org didn't seem to help.

TIA,

Chris
PSYCTC: Psychotherapy, Psychology, Psychiatry, Counselling
and Therapeutic Communities; practice, research,
teaching and consultancy.
Chris Evans & Jo-anne Carlyle
http://psyctc.org/ Email: chris@psyctc.org
Re: Razor working? [ In reply to ]
Chris Evans wrote:
> On 11 Feb 2004 at 22:15, Steven Dickenson wrote:
>

>>Gah, Razor 1? Upgrade to Razor 2 if you actually want useful scores.
>>I backported the Razor 2 package from Debian unstable, or you can
>>install from source. Both are easy to do.
>

> Thanks again Steve but my attempt to install form source fell over
> (see separate post) so I'd hugely appreciate it if you or anyone else
> would explain to me if there's a good way to set up dselect to use
> backports for razor and SA (and pyzor and/or DCC??) but not to use it
> for other packages since for security reasons I'd prefer to backport
> as little as possible.
>
> Happy to be pointed to a sensible URL that'll tell me but a quick bit
> of googling and searching on debian.org didn't seem to help.
>
> TIA,
>
> Chris

Chris

had some comments from the MailScanner maintainer about lack of reponse
from the default razor2 server (ie the one downloaded automagically from
the update routine).

Could be a source of the problem..

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

the system manager.

RE: Razor working? [ In reply to ]
I tried that earlier today to no avail, but I've just done another

razor-admin -discover

and it is all working again.

Phil

Re: Razor working? [ In reply to ]

Re: Razor working? [ In reply to ]
This is too weird. I did NOTHING and fiddled with my setup last time
just earlier this week. NOW the checks are working for the first time.
I have the timeout set at 17 though. Does SA record the return time in
the headers anywhere or only in the logs?

(P.S. Gee I wish reply would go to the list instead of the individual
like most lists do. Sorry for you getting two of these Randal.)