Has anyone written a rule that catches the MyDoom virus e-mails.

Thanks,
Mark DeMichele
Re: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
Mark A. DeMichele wrote:

> Has anyone written a rule that catches the MyDoom virus e-mails.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark DeMichele

If you mean the actual virus coming in, use an A/V product for that. I
use exiscan ACL and McAfee with Exim 4.3 for that.

If you mean the various virus bounce notifications, look here...

http://www.exit0.us/index.php/VirusBounceRules

and here...

http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/bogus-virus-warnings.cf

Steven
--
Steven Dickenson <steven@mrchuckles.net>
http://www.mrchuckles.net
Re: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
Yeah, I call it procmail. :)

Here is my procmail recipe for catching extensions. Maybe this will
work for you?

# File extentions to be blocked by procmail:
ext='(vbj|exe|com|bat|vbs|cmd|pif|scr|js|zip)'

# This recipe should stop the attachments from the clients.
:0 BHbh
* !^FROM_DAEMON
* $ content-[^:]+:${WS}*.+(\<)*(file)?name${WS}*=\"*\/.+\.$ext\"?$
{
:0 hb
| (formail -r -i"From: mail-server@mydomain.com" -I"Precedence:
junk" -A"X-Loop: mail-server@mydomain.com" ; cat
/etc/procmailrcs/virus.email) | $SENDMAIL -t

:0 A
/dev/null
}

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 14:57, Mark A. DeMichele wrote:

> Has anyone written a rule that catches the MyDoom virus e-mails.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark DeMichele

Wess Bechard
Technical Support
eliquidMEDIA
International Inc.

wess@eliquid.com
519.973.1930 -1.800.561.7525
Re: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
If you do use procmail, you can use virus.email to send a message as a
bounce back. :)

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 15:03, Wess Bechard wrote:

> Yeah, I call it procmail. :)
>

> Here is my procmail recipe for catching extensions. Maybe this will
> work for you?
>

> # File extentions to be blocked by procmail:
> ext='(vbj|exe|com|bat|vbs|cmd|pif|scr|js|zip)'
>
> # This recipe should stop the attachments from the clients.
> :0 BHbh
> * !^FROM_DAEMON
> * $ content-[^:]+:${WS}*.+(\<)*(file)?name${WS}*=\"*\/.+\.$ext\"?$
> {
> :0 hb
> | (formail -r -i"From: mail-server@mydomain.com"
> -I"Precedence: junk" -A"X-Loop: mail-server@mydomain.com" ; cat
> /etc/procmailrcs/virus.email) | $SENDMAIL -t
>
> :0 A
> /dev/null
> }
>

> On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 14:57, Mark A. DeMichele wrote:
>
> > Has anyone written a rule that catches the MyDoom virus e-mails.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Mark DeMichele
>
> Wess Bechard
> Technical Support
> eliquidMEDIA
> International Inc.
>
> wess@eliquid.com
> 519.973.1930 -1.800.561.7525

Wess Bechard
Technical Support
eliquidMEDIA
International Inc.

wess@eliquid.com
519.973.1930 -1.800.561.7525
Re: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 12:01, Steven Dickenson wrote:
> If you mean the actual virus coming in, use an A/V product for that. I
> use exiscan ACL and McAfee with Exim 4.3 for that.

ClamAV is free and also does a good job of catching MyDoom.

- Jon

--
jon@tgpsolutions.com

Administrator, tgpsolutions
http://www.tgpsolutions.com
Re: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
Re: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
At 12:06 PM 2/9/2004, Wess Bechard wrote:
>If you do use procmail, you can use virus.email to send a message as a
>bounce back. :)

Right. That way you can send bogus bounce notices to people who didn't
send you attachments in the first place, thus doubling the amount of
traffic generated by a virus outbreak without actually notifying the people
whose computers *are* infected.

Unfortunately, that's all you can really do when you're blocking solely
based on file extensions: you can't separate clueless senders from viruses,
so you can't just silently discard things without risking false positives.

Kelson Vibber
RE: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
I guess the short answer to my original question is "no"?

RE: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
At 03:45 PM 2/9/2004, Mark A. DeMichele wrote:
>I guess the short answer to my original question is "no"?

Correct. I doubt anyone has written mydoom rules for SA.

I'm pretty sure very few people bother to implement virus scanning rules in
spamassassin, because most of us use virus scanners in addition to SA.
Really, most places seem to already have virus scanning in their email
before they install SA.

With the advent of open-source virus scanners, ie clamav, there's little
need to duplicate efforts, and it saves me the work of trying to write SA
rules because I've already got a tool that covers it, complete with
intelligent, cryptographically signed, automatic updates and everything.
Re: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
My mail filter blocks extensions, so I need this bounce back to notify
the legitimate senders that they must send in a different format.

Of course, X-Loop is used.

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 15:36, Kelson Vibber wrote:

> At 12:06 PM 2/9/2004, Wess Bechard wrote:
> >If you do use procmail, you can use virus.email to send a message as a
> >bounce back. :)
>
> Right. That way you can send bogus bounce notices to people who didn't
> send you attachments in the first place, thus doubling the amount of
> traffic generated by a virus outbreak without actually notifying the people
> whose computers *are* infected.
>
> Unfortunately, that's all you can really do when you're blocking solely
> based on file extensions: you can't separate clueless senders from viruses,
> so you can't just silently discard things without risking false positives.
>

> Kelson Vibber
> SpeedGate Communications <www.speed.net>

Wess Bechard
Technical Support
eliquidMEDIA
International Inc.

wess@eliquid.com
519.973.1930 -1.800.561.7525
Re: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
Hi,
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Wess Bechard wrote:

> My mail filter blocks extensions, so I need this bounce back to notify
> the legitimate senders that they must send in a different format.

How do you tell legitimate senders from virus-forged senders...?

-- Bob
Re: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
I don't. I just let the X-loop do its job and let the legits send their
email attachmentd in a different format.

This is going to work until I have time to implement something better,
like ClamAV.

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 16:11, Bob Apthorpe wrote:

> Hi,
> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Wess Bechard wrote:
>
> > My mail filter blocks extensions, so I need this bounce back to notify
> > the legitimate senders that they must send in a different format.
>
> How do you tell legitimate senders from virus-forged senders...?
>
> -- Bob

Wess Bechard
Technical Support
eliquidMEDIA
International Inc.

wess@eliquid.com
519.973.1930 -1.800.561.7525
Re: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
What I would REALLY like is a way to make procmail check the virtual
users table and check to see if an address exists before running through
my virus and spam rc's.

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 16:18, Wess Bechard wrote:

> I don't. I just let the X-loop do its job and let the legits send
> their email attachmentd in a different format.
>
> This is going to work until I have time to implement something better,
> like ClamAV.
>

> On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 16:11, Bob Apthorpe wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Wess Bechard wrote:
> >
> > > My mail filter blocks extensions, so I need this bounce back to notify
> > > the legitimate senders that they must send in a different format.
> >
> > How do you tell legitimate senders from virus-forged senders...?
> >
> > -- Bob
>

> Wess Bechard
>
> Technical Support
>
> eliquidMEDIA
>
> International Inc.
>

> wess@eliquid.com
>
> 519.973.1930 -1.800.561.7525

Wess Bechard
Technical Support
eliquidMEDIA
International Inc.

wess@eliquid.com
519.973.1930 -1.800.561.7525
Re: [spa] Re: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Kelson Vibber wrote:
> At 12:06 PM 2/9/2004, Wess Bechard wrote:
> >If you do use procmail, you can use virus.email to send a message as a
> >bounce back. :)
> Right. That way you can send bogus bounce notices to people who didn't
> send you attachments in the first place, thus doubling the amount of
> traffic generated by a virus outbreak without actually notifying the people
> whose computers *are* infected.

HEY! Where do we go to invent new STANDARDS for Mail Transports?
I think it's bad enough that we often end up bouncing mail to an innocent
third party, but when the sender does not exist, and it gets bounced back
to us, that is even *more* of a waste. So I was wondering if we could put
together a 'movement' to insert a new 'standard' header, call it
sees that header knows that it should *not* bounce the mail? Even if not
everyone checks for it, at least when the bounce comes back, we can check
for it ourselves and trashcan the bounced bounce..... :-)

Along a similar line, is there any way to cross-check the 'from' address
against the 'received' headers so that in cases where they don't match, we
can perhaps decide not to 'bounce' the mail if it is undeliverable?

- Charles
Re: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
My apologies to Kelson who just got a personalized copy of my list reply.
Please add my vote to the list of people wanting a 'reply-to' header on
list mail..... :-)

- Charles
RE: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
> From: Charles Gregory [mailto:cgregory@hwcn.org]
>
> My apologies to Kelson who just got a personalized copy of my
> list reply.
> Please add my vote to the list of people wanting a 'reply-to'
> header on
> list mail..... :-)
>
> - Charles

I seem to be contrarian here.

I rather like getting double-copied on "reply all"'s to my post. Why?

Well, I have a "lists" folder, and a "spamassassin-users" subfolder. I have
a rule to auto-route any mail with the spamassassin list headers into the
spamassassin-users subfolder. This allows me to collect all the email and
read it at my leisure, rather than when it comes up.

However, when I post a message to the list, I like to get notification of
any replies in my Inbox (and for completeness, a copy in the list folder as
well.)

Matthew van Eerde
Software Engineer
Hispanic Business Inc.
HireDiversity.com
805.964.4554 x902
Matthew.van.Eerde@hbinc.com
http://www.hispanicbusiness.com
http://www.hirediversity.com
Re: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
At 03:05 PM 2/9/2004, Charles Gregory wrote:
>Along a similar line, is there any way to cross-check the 'from' address
>against the 'received' headers so that in cases where they don't match, we
>can perhaps decide not to 'bounce' the mail if it is undeliverable?

Check out http://spf.pobox.com/ - it actually works on the envelope sender,
not the From: header, but since that's where bounces should go, it should
do the trick - once it's widely adopted.

Basically, the owner of a domain name adds a DNS record indicating what
servers are allowed to send legitimate mail using their name. Then the
receiving mail server checks to make sure the system contacting it is on
the approved list. Dealing with forwarders gets a bit complicated, but
there are some high-profile sites already testing it out, like AOL,
gnu.org, etc.

SpamAssassin support for SPF is in the works for 2.70.

Kelson Vibber
Re: [spa] Re: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Charles Gregory wrote:

> HEY! Where do we go to invent new STANDARDS for Mail Transports?
> I think it's bad enough that we often end up bouncing mail to an innocent
> third party, but when the sender does not exist, and it gets bounced back
> to us, that is even *more* of a waste. So I was wondering if we could put
> together a 'movement' to insert a new 'standard' header, call it
> sees that header knows that it should *not* bounce the mail? Even if not
> everyone checks for it, at least when the bounce comes back, we can check
> for it ourselves and trashcan the bounced bounce..... :-)

Why try to invent new standards when there's one for exactly this
situation that has been around for over 20 Years?

Read RFC-2821 section 6.1 for the modern version,
RFC-821 for the original (dated August 1982).

--
Dave Funk University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu> College of Engineering
Re: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
Kelson Vibber <kelson@speed.net> writes:

> SpamAssassin support for SPF is in the works for 2.70.

It would be nice if there could be 2 alternate support methods. One
for when the MTA is already using SPF and has either rejected the
mail if it fails the test or added a Received-SPF: header, where SA
just scores on that header. Second for when the MTA does not use SPF,
and SA itself calls Mail::SPF::Query. It seems a waste of resource
for SA to call SPF when the MTA has already done so.
Re: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
Along the lines of Mark's question, I'm trying to develop such a rule
but I can't get it to work:

full MYDOOM_ATTACHMENT /Content-Disposition:
attachment;.filename="(document|readme|doc|text|file|data|test|message|body)(\.(htm|txt|doc))?\.(pif|scr|exe|cmd|bat|zip)"/

[.watch for line wrapping - should all be on one line!]

Can someone tell me why this isn't working ['describe' and 'score' lines
omited for brevity]?

Mark A. DeMichele wrote:
> Has anyone written a rule that catches the MyDoom virus e-mails.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark DeMichele

> Along the lines of Mark's question, I'm trying to develop such a rule
> but I can't get it to work:
>
> full MYDOOM_ATTACHMENT /Content-Disposition:
> attachment;.filename="(document|readme|doc|text|file|data|test|mes
> sage|body)(\.(htm|txt|doc))?\.(pif|scr|exe|cmd|bat|zip)"/
>
> [.watch for line wrapping - should all be on one line!]
>
> Can someone tell me why this isn't working ['describe' and 'score' lines
> omited for brevity]?

In the virus mail the I've seen, they look something like this:

------=_NextPart_000_0011_516A90FC.80A5C194

Above, I've substituted 'xxxx.zzz' for 'body.zip' just to avoid any being
trashed by an over-anxious procmailrc recipe.

Above note that the name and filename lines are on different lines from the
Content- lines.

I think that's the problem you may be running into. I don't think that full
body tests (or any tests) can span lines. So, you'll need to break this up
into a couple of subrules and combine them into a metarule, I think.
Re: MyDoom E-mail [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the reply, Gary, but that's not it.

I've tried:

full MYDOOM_ATTACHMENT
/filename="(document|readme|doc|text|file|data|test|message|body)(\.(htm|txt|doc))?\.(pif|scr|exe|cmd|bat|zip)"$/

is still not working.

Any other ideas?