Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: [OT] What's your favorite linux distro for SA? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Damon Cassell wrote:

> I've had excellent results with all versions of Red Hat, 7.3 through
> 9.0. With Red Hat's freely distributed versions fading into history, I
> recently moved a customer of mine to Mandrake 9.2, and had great results
> there, too. In all cases I always use Postfix as the MTA, and build it
> and SpamAssassin from source, so I am not worried about the shortcomings
> of RPM, as others seem to be. I've messed with Gentoo but found it
> simply too time consuming to configure the way I want it.

After the nightmares RH9 has given me over the past couple of months, I'll
never use another RH product again. I really dislike the random locations
the RH engineers put various unimportant libraries like kerbereos. I also
dislike how they statically linked just about everything to everything
else. It's a bloody nightmare. I'm preparing to give Gentoo a try. I've
heard good things.

My $.02 before taxes,
Justin
RE: [OT] What's your favorite linux distro for SA? [ In reply to ]
I have always disliked RedHat for putting this where they (not the community) think they should be. I still use them though. It has less of an impact for me as I compile most of the software that I use anyways (Apache, OpenSSL, IMAP, etc). As such I end up putting everuthing back where I want it to be.

Come to think about it the only think that I really use out of the box for RedHat is DNS and Samba. I'm also looking around though because I've switched to Linux to get away from paying money and RedHat seemed a good choice until they decided to join the ranks of Microsoft.

Gary

Re: [OT] What's your favorite linux distro for SA? [ In reply to ]
chrooted on OpenBSD 3.4-current snapshot

--
Jules Rogers
Network Engineer

RE: [OT] What's your favorite linux distro for SA? [ In reply to ]
I've been using RedHat 7.3, but with the dropping of support, I'm about to
install White Box Linux. Here's more on this project:

This product is derived from the Free/Open Source Software made available by
Red Hat, Inc but IS NOT produced, maintained or supported by Red Hat.
Specifically, this product is forked from the source code for Red Hat's _Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 3_ product under the terms and conditions of it's EULA

What is the goal for White Box Linux?
To provide an unencumbered RPM based Linux distribution that retains enough
compatibility with Red Hat Linux to allow easy upgrades and to retain
compatibility with their Errata srpms. Being based off of RHEL3 means that a
machine should be able to avoid the upgrade treadmill until Oct 2008 since
RHEL promises Errata availability for five years from date of initial
release and RHEL3 shipped in Oct 2003.

Or more briefly, to fill the gap between Fedora and RHEL.

Why was White Box Linux created?
White Box Linux's initial creation has been sponsored by the Beauregard
Parish Public Library in DeRidder, LA USA out of self interest. We have
several servers and over fifty workstations running Red Hat Linux and were
left high and dry by their recent shift in business plan. Our choices were a
difficult migration to another distribution or paying RedHat an annual fee
greater than the amortized value of our hardware. So we chose a third path,
made possible by the power of Open Source.... White Box Linux.

http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/index.html
<http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/index.html>

_____