Mailing List Archive

sa-update
Thanks to another thread today, I discovered the sa-update script (which
must be new, or I haven't noticed it in 3+ years of using SA). However, when
I try to run it on two separate boxes, I get debug output similar to this
(when invoked with no command line options other than -D):

[8348] dbg: logger: adding facilities: all
[8348] dbg: logger: logging level is DBG
[8348] dbg: generic: SpamAssassin version 3.1.0
[8348] dbg: config: score set 0 chosen.
[8348] dbg: dns: is Net::DNS::Resolver available? yes
[8348] dbg: dns: Net::DNS version: 0.53
[8348] dbg: dns: name server: 72.3.128.240, family: 2, ipv6: 0
[8348] dbg: generic: sa-update version svn231362
[8348] dbg: generic: using update directory: /etc/mail/spamassassin
[8348] dbg: diag: perl platform: 5.008005 linux
[8348] dbg: diag: module installed: Digest::SHA1, version 2.10
[8348] dbg: diag: module installed: Getopt::Long, version 2.34
[8348] dbg: diag: module installed: LWP::UserAgent, version 2.033
[8348] dbg: diag: module installed: HTTP::Date, version 1.46
[8348] dbg: diag: module installed: Archive::Tar, version 1.26
[8348] dbg: diag: module installed: IO::Zlib, version 1.04
[8348] dbg: diag: module installed: DB_File, version 1.809
[8348] dbg: diag: module installed: HTML::Parser, version 3.46
[8348] dbg: diag: module installed: MIME::Base64, version 3.05
[8348] dbg: diag: module installed: Net::DNS, version 0.53
[8348] dbg: diag: module installed: Net::SMTP, version 2.29
[8348] dbg: diag: module installed: Mail::SPF::Query, version 1.997
[8348] dbg: diag: module installed: IP::Country::Fast, version 309.002
[8348] dbg: diag: module installed: Razor2::Client::Agent, version 2.75
[8348] dbg: diag: module not installed: Net::Ident ('require' failed)
[8348] dbg: diag: module not installed: IO::Socket::INET6 ('require' failed)
[8348] dbg: diag: module not installed: IO::Socket::SSL ('require' failed)
[8348] dbg: diag: module installed: Time::HiRes, version 1.82
[8348] dbg: diag: module installed: DBI, version 1.48
[8348] dbg: channel: attempting channel updates.spamassassin.org
[8348] dbg: channel: update directory
/etc/mail/spamassassin/updates_spamassassin_org
[8348] dbg: channel: channel cf file
/etc/mail/spamassassin/updates_spamassassin_org.cf
[8348] dbg: dns: query failed: 0.1.3.updates.spamassassin.org => NXDOMAIN
[8348] dbg: channel: no updates available, skipping channel
[8348] dbg: diag: updates complete, exiting with code 0

The pertinent error seems to be the NXDOMAIN for
0.1.3.updates.spamassassin.org. Is that normal?
Re: sa-update [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 11:24:28AM -0800, Mike Jackson wrote:
> Thanks to another thread today, I discovered the sa-update script (which
> must be new, or I haven't noticed it in 3+ years of using SA). However,

It's new with 3.1.

> when I try to run it on two separate boxes, I get debug output similar to
> this (when invoked with no command line options other than -D):
>
> [8348] dbg: dns: query failed: 0.1.3.updates.spamassassin.org => NXDOMAIN
> [8348] dbg: channel: no updates available, skipping channel
> [8348] dbg: diag: updates complete, exiting with code 0
>
> The pertinent error seems to be the NXDOMAIN for
> 0.1.3.updates.spamassassin.org. Is that normal?

It is for now. We have not, as of yet, published any updates via the
default channel, therefore there are no updates available, therefore
NXDOMAIN for the "latest update version" request.

Basically the plan was to make the script available such that when we actually
do updates, it'll be easier for people to do updates since the script will
have been out there for a while.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"see, you field a lot of questions that are unimportant enough to me that
Re: sa-update [ In reply to ]
Will Nordmeyer wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 06:02:56 -0400:

> When I restart spamd, does it look in that directory for the updated rules
> or do I have a step I'm missing to put the rules over into the primary rules
> folder

It seems you have installed sa only for this user? It identified a "local state
dir", it should use it. You can check this by running spamassassin -D --lint
with the same user that spamd runs under.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany
Re: sa-update [ In reply to ]
Nope, SA is installed systemwide. I have the home foldier for the
install because the systemwide perl has to be kept at perl 5.05 for
Cobalt requirements, so I have an entire little subsystem for
spamassassin that uses Perl 5.8.3.

The spamd daemon runs as root.

Each child process runs as the user in question when it is processing a
message.

OK - I did the --lint and it appears to load the updates dir.

One of my problems with it, though, is that the 10_misc.cf in the
updates dir doesn't have the proper @@CONTACT_ADDRESS@@.

--Will

Re: sa-update [ In reply to ]
Will Nordmeyer wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 09:56:21 -0400:

> One of my problems with it, though, is that the 10_misc.cf in the
> updates dir doesn't have the proper @@CONTACT_ADDRESS@@.

I think that's a known problem. This address gets inserted when you "perl
Makefile.PL" and they forgot about it. If you need it you may insert it
yourself. (That may change some checksum, though, I don't know.)

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany
Re: sa-update [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 12:31:16AM +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> > One of my problems with it, though, is that the 10_misc.cf in the
> > updates dir doesn't have the proper @@CONTACT_ADDRESS@@.
>
> I think that's a known problem. This address gets inserted when you "perl
> Makefile.PL" and they forgot about it. If you need it you may insert it
> yourself. (That may change some checksum, though, I don't know.)

Put the config line in your /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf and that'll take
care of it for now.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
Beware of the opinion of someone without any facts.
Re: sa-update [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jul 23, 2006 at 10:44:29PM +0200, Christian Schade wrote:
> > Assuming the updates.spamassassin.org (default) channel ...
>
> Are there any other (usefull) channels beside the default jet?

We have a jet? Cool! :P

I can't speak for anyone else out there, but from the ASF SpamAssassin
project, there's only the one channel available right now.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
If Love is grand... Divorce is twenty grand...