another before delivery. And sometimes, even though the mail
scored as spam on the first server, it no longer scores as spam
at the second server. In one case at least, I believe this is
because the FORGED_RCVD_NET_HELO rule fired on the first server
but not the second.

Is there an easy way around this? Or is milter-hacking (or changing
mail topology) in our future?

-glenn
Re: multiple relay dilutes score [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 little@cs.ucsd.edu wrote:

> We have several mail servers for our domain. We have spamassassin
> running globally on each, tagging the mail before delivery.
>
> The problem is this: sometimes mail needs to go from one server to
> another before delivery. And sometimes, even though the mail
> scored as spam on the first server, it no longer scores as spam
> at the second server. In one case at least, I believe this is
> because the FORGED_RCVD_NET_HELO rule fired on the first server
> but not the second.
>
> Is there an easy way around this? Or is milter-hacking (or changing
> mail topology) in our future?

Yes, you want to avoid "refiltering" messages. I ended up customizing
our config to say "if there's a locally added SA score header already
there skip the checking of the current message" (via milter-hacking ;)

It also helps to keep your load-ave from going ballistic when some
fool who has mailboxes in two different departments creats a '.forward'
loop. ;)

I also set up a rule to say "messages from 'internal servers' don't
need to be filtered". This takes care of messages from cron jobs, etc.

--
Dave Funk University of Iowa
<dbfunk (at) engineering.uiowa.edu> College of Engineering