Mailing List Archive

SA/Razor2 - can't locate object method "new"
Hi everyone,

when running spamassassin -D, I get the following error:

razor2 check skipped: Illegal seek Can't locate object method "new" via
package "Razor2::Client::Agent"
at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/Mail/SpamAssassin/Dns.pm line 370.

Upgrading spamassassin 2.63 to today's 3.0.0-cvs didn't help, same when
upgrading razor2 from version 2.36 to 2.40.

But(!) then I installed spamassassin in another directory (using perl
Makefile.PL PREFIX=foo SYSCONFDIR=bar ; make ; make install) and when running
that copy of spamassassin, razor2 works.
Why that? The contents of /usr/lib/perl/site_perl/5.8.3/SpamAssassin* and
foo/lib/perl/site_perl/5.8.3/SpamAssassin* are absolutely identical.
foo/bin/spamassassin and /usr/bin/spamassassin differ, but only in their path
definitions.

#> rpm -q perl spamassassin Razor
perl-5.8.3-2tr
spamassassin-3.0.0-0.1
Razor-2.40-1

Anyone got a clue what may have gone wrong?

Kind regards,

Phil
Re: SA/Razor2 - can't locate object method "new" [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004, Phil wrote:

[...]
> foo/lib/perl/site_perl/5.8.3/SpamAssassin* are absolutely identical.
> foo/bin/spamassassin and /usr/bin/spamassassin differ, but only in their path
> definitions.
>
> #> rpm -q perl spamassassin Razor
> perl-5.8.3-2tr
> spamassassin-3.0.0-0.1
> Razor-2.40-1
>
> Anyone got a clue what may have gone wrong?

did you applied the Razor2.patch from the sa package? just an idea, no
clue else.

regards,
Matthias
Re: SA/Razor2 - can't locate object method "new" [ In reply to ]
Matthias Fuhrmann wrote:

> did you applied the Razor2.patch from the sa package? just an idea, no
Razor 2.40 has that patch already applied, so there should be no need
for it. An upgrading as phil did, should have been sufficient. (though
he might still have the old razor laying around somewhere.

Phil's error:
razor2 check skipped: Illegal seek Can't locate object method "new" via
package "Razor2::Client::Agent"
at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/Mail/SpamAssassin/Dns.pm line 370.

Seems similar to the one I was struggling with yesterday:
spamd[15838]: razor2 check skipped: Operation not permitted Can't locate
object method "new" via package "Razor2::Client::Agent" at
///Library/Perl/5.8.1/Mail/SpamAssassin/Dns.pm line 392

My solution was to stop using Razor2 :/
I have better things to do with my life than debug perl installations, I
spent half a day and got nowhere.

There is some info on this type of error in the SA wiki:
<http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RazorCantLocateNew>

Might help you out.

Adrian
Re: SA/Razor2 - can't locate object method "new" [ In reply to ]
On Sonntag, 14. März 2004 19:58, Adrian Simmons wrote:
> There is some info on this type of error in the SA wiki:
> <http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/RazorCantLocateNew>

Thanks, that link helped :)
I needed to recompile Data::Dumper because of an undefined symbol. But I have
no idea why Razor2 worked when using another copy..

Kind regards,

Phil